PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Free Food Challenge

Comments

• moggins
    moggins Posts: 5,190 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    LOL, I've just got about 2lb of blackberries and 1lb of elderberries.

about 3lb of onions and shallots, 1 cauliflower, 3lbs of potatoes and a marrow from ex-hubbies allotment.
    Organised people are just too lazy to look for things

F U Fund currently at £250
  • Lychee
    Lychee Posts: 446 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    went shopping yesterday and exited the supermarket 1 minute before closing time. Got into the car and on my way out of the car park, spotted a cucumber (whole cucumber wrapped in plastic thingy) in the middle of the road. Must've dropped out of someone's trolley/shopping bag. Supermarket had already closed.......... so I took it. Does that count here?
  • moggins wrote:
    LOL, I've just got about 2lb of blackberries and 1lb of elderberries.

about 3lb of onions and shallots, 1 cauliflower, 3lbs of potatoes and a marrow from ex-hubbies allotment.

:rotfl: Is that whats known as revenge?? lolol
    Make £10 a Day Feb .....£75.... March... £65......April...£90.....May £20.....June £35.......July £60
  • moggins
    moggins Posts: 5,190 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    ROFLMAO!! I didn't steal them honestly!! He usually brings me a few bits and bobs every couple of weeks.
    Organised people are just too lazy to look for things

F U Fund currently at £250
  • Frogling
    Frogling Posts: 1,219 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    15lb damsons (took me ages to pick them!), 12lb plums and 25lb bramley apples. Three large marrows, loads of tomatoes, runner beans, couple of cauliflowers, some courgettes and onions. All of these courtesy of my MIL, who has lots of fruit trees and a vegetable plot at the end of her several acres of garden.

I also got raspberries, blueberries and picked some blackberries from the nearby hedgerows.

I shall be making lots of damson sauce, chutneys, jams and some piccalilli over the next few days. I shall also be making some of my famous (well, to my family and friends it is!) summer fruits liquor. Anyone who lives nearby is welcome to come and grab a jar or bottle of whatever takes their fancy, and therefore get more free food lol!
  • As I'm sulking about being job-matched into a post I don't want and refuse to stay in, my boss tried to be the good guy by coming to work via a roadside farm stall and brought me a squash and a marrow...I know, wine would have been nice too, but I will make do with heavy vegetables...
  • runner beans? Top and tail, cut to bite size, drop in boiling salted water and either drain and cool fastish and then freeze or carry on cooking, drain and mix with crisp fried lardons (bits of chopped bacon before you ask!) - scrummy. But if they are home grown check not stringy - Yuk. It's one of your five-a-day and free.
  • PS - I use some of my free damsons to make damson gin - better than the sloe variety and ready for Christmas.
  • I haven't read every post in the thread but it occurs to me that at this time of year gardens and branches of starbucks can provide you with almost the entire dish completely free.

For example, to make a pear (or apple) and blackberry crumble you need fruit (potentially free), butter (save the little envelopes for later when you're in a coffee bar), sugar (grab a few spares from Starbucks), cinnamon (ditto, though you may need to bring your own cup to take a good shaking of it home in), and flour. I can't think of anywhere you can rip off flour for nothing but as it's the cheapest ingredient it's one we can all afford.

If you travel on business or have access to a breakfast bar you could always swipe a bowl of dry porridge oats and use those - they work surprisingly well. Or crush up the stale-ish biscuit crumbs at the bottom of the barrel.
  • You can't beat a huge pile of fresh home grown runner beans but for those unfortunate enough not to like them very much, they can be used instead of green peppers in things like Chili con Carne or in curries.

The secret to having non-stringy beans it to not let them get too big before you pick them ;)

Growing soft fruit is a great way to save money. I bought 5 raspberry canes for a fiver. So far this year I have picked 30 quid's worth and there are still loads more to come.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback