PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Free Food Challenge

Comments

• lswwong
    lswwong Posts: 407 Forumite
    Colleague at work kindly gave me 7 fresh eggs as she keeps chickens and I really wanted to try some "home farm" eggs. Think I will rustle up a spanish omlette with them tomorrow for lunch.

I was in St James's Park in London earlier today and pinched myself when I saw these really colourful, huge continental (e.g. swiss) chards in and amongst the flowers etc in the flowerbeds!! They looked great! Though I did wonder whether they were edible? So, I am just wondering, would anyone dare to pinch some for their dinner?
  • tru
    tru Posts: 9,138 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Sweet_Pea wrote:
    Am I allowed to ask, how do you all manage to get this much free stuff?
    (Apart from stuff you yourself have grown, or foraged for, ie, brambles?)
    Am I lacking the right technique? :think:

Our friends run their own biz selling pet food at the market, so they give us the odd freebie. Also they know a lot of the other traders, that's how we got the meat, leeks and stock cubes. The pork pies and quiche were from a party where they'd bought too much food, they had a fridge full of unopened boxes at the end :D
    Bulletproof
  • Ticklemouse
    Ticklemouse Posts: 5,030 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    lswwong wrote:
    I was in St James's Park in London earlier today and pinched myself when I saw these really colourful, huge continental (e.g. swiss) chards in and amongst the flowers etc in the flowerbeds!! They looked great! Though I did wonder whether they were edible? So, I am just wondering, would anyone dare to pinch some for their dinner?

I wouldn't if I were you - as sure as eggs are eggs, you would get seen and a theft conviction isn't worth it. The Park's Police are everywhere.
  • Zend
    Zend Posts: 166 Forumite
    7 lb of blackberries the other day, to make chutney for Christmas. On the moated site opposite my house there were damson trees, wild raspberries and brambles, 2 months ago the council cut the lot down :mad:
    January spend = £100
    Spent =
    saving =
  • catznine
    catznine Posts: 3,192 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Courgettes and cherry tomatoes from my neighbours and some spicy french sausages from a friend (she didn't like them) also runner beans from the garden.
    Our days are happier when we give people a bit of our heart rather than a piece of our mind.

Jan grocery challenge £35.77/£120
  • bonnie_2
    bonnie_2 Posts: 1,463 Forumite
    3 chocolate mousses, pineapple rings and a big bowl of fruit salad from mother.also kids had free lunch at other nannies.
  • cymro1170
    cymro1170 Posts: 5,945 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    We have a Chest freezer full of Blackberries and Rhubarb.
    My Dad collects the Blackberries daily on his way home from work and we grow Rhubarb.
  • AussieLass
    AussieLass Posts: 4,066 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Sweet_Pea wrote:
    Am I allowed to ask, how do you all manage to get this much free stuff?
    (Apart from stuff you yourself have grown, or foraged for, ie, brambles?)
    Am I lacking the right technique? :think:

I mustn't have it either, the only free thing over here is fresh air.:D
    Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia. ;)

• taplady
    taplady Posts: 7,184 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    1 cucumber, bag of runner beans and 2 strawberry plants from a friends garden. :j
    Do what you love :happyhear
  • Allexie
    Allexie Posts: 3,460 Forumite
    Today friends mum gave me....

Courgettes
    Pink Potatoes!
    Lettuce
    Salad onions

and best of all...oodles of parsley and mint...wheee...will make tabouleh tomorrow...Yum :D
    ♥♥♥ Genius - 1% inspiration and 99% doing what your mother told you. ♥♥♥

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure