PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Free Food Challenge

Comments

• tru
    tru Posts: 9,138 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    In the last 3 days we've had -

1 x 2l tub of blackberries, going out in a bit to get more.

3kg bag of bread flour from my friend.

6 pork pies and a quiche from my neighbour's granddaughter.

Loads of cooking apples from F-I-L's tree, he's too lazy to do anything with them so we have ALL his apples every year :D
    Bulletproof
  • Noozan
    Noozan Posts: 1,058 Forumite
    First Post
    I have a big bag of runner beans sitting in the fridge, courtesy of DS's friend's grandad's allotment, but not sure what to do with them as I don't think I like them very much. Remember my dad growing them when I was a kid and we were forced to eat them cos they were "home grown" and it's kinda put me off :(

How about making runner bean chutney? I make it every year when I've used our home grown runner beans in 101 other ways :rotfl: Let me know if you'd like the recipe.

No freebies for us, only what I've grown in the garden. Not even any blackberries :( as I've been out on walks etc around here and have not seen any. Anyone know of any good spots to pick in Fife? (central and west ish)
    I have the mind of a criminal genius. I keep it in the freezer next to Mother....
  • elona
    elona Posts: 11,806 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Curry Queen

My kids will eat almost anything if I cover it in cheese sauce- or else home made cucumber raita.;)
    "This site is addictive!"
    Wooligan 2 squares for smoky - 3 squares for HTA
    Preemie hats - 2.
  • Cheapskate
    Cheapskate Posts: 1,757 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Since Monday:
    2 lb blackberries from my garden - looks like a bumper crop this year;
    Broad & runner beans, medium & monster (at least 2 lb in wieght!) courgettes from next door neighbour - she says all her veg is ripening at once & she can't eat it all!
    Not too keen on courgettes, so big one will go to my sister, maybe as a trade for goods or service.
    Jan 2021 GC £11.70/£300
    2021 mission declutter& clean 53/2021
    Jan NSD 7/31
  • MATH
    MATH Posts: 2,941 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    DIDN'T THEY DO WELL!

Do any Ol'Stylers actually BUY food anymore?;)
    Life's a beach! Take your shoes off and feel the sand between your toes.
  • Curry_Queen
    Curry_Queen Posts: 5,589 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    MATH wrote:
    DIDN'T THEY DO WELL!

Do any Ol'Stylers actually BUY food anymore?;)

As little as possible! :D

There was a time when I had a regular supply of freshly caught wildlife, mostly rabbit, wood pigeon and pheasant, and a multitude of wild growing "free" foods, as well as free eggs and goat's milk ;)

Anyone with access to such should seriously consider getting a copy of HFW's cookbooks, and I think there's a new one due out next month, as he will tell you everything you need to know in how to utilise all this free food, or better still join the River Cottage forum :D
    "An Ye Harm None, Do What Ye Will"
    ~
    It is that what you do, good or bad,
    will come back to you three times as strong!

• Cheapskate
    Cheapskate Posts: 1,757 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Recent copy of BBC Gardeners World had an article about 'free' food - basically about picking things from the wild, fruit, herbs, mushrooms, etc. Written by Jekka McVicar - THE herb lady - & was quite interesting!

I have actually bought food today, but less than last time in the supermarket.

Note: just noticed that empty house near me has tons of elderberries nearly ready - must go scrumping this weekend!!
    Jan 2021 GC £11.70/£300
    2021 mission declutter& clean 53/2021
    Jan NSD 7/31
  • Allexie
    Allexie Posts: 3,460 Forumite
    Friend dropped by tonight with industrial quantities of:

Courgettes
    Leeks
    Beetroot
    Runner beans
    Potatoes
    Swede
    Tomatoes
    Perpetual onions

Yesterday from the woods:

Brambles
    Victoria plums from garden of abandoned house
    Sloes & Blackcurrants (earmarked for picking later)

Who needs supermarkets icon10.gif
    ♥♥♥ Genius - 1% inspiration and 99% doing what your mother told you. ♥♥♥

• Zziggi
    Zziggi Posts: 2,485 Forumite
    i got a 2litre ice-cream box of brambles and a big bowl full of elderberries. 2 dozen tomatoes from a friend's greenhouse.
    A friend gave me 10 carrier bags absolutely full to the brim with windfall apples in them on tuesday. Managed to make a dint in the apples but then had a bump in the car yesterday so not up to standing a peeling all the rest. During the course of today i've managed to give away 5 full carrier bags of apples. I guess what goes around comes around.....
  • One 2lb onion
    big bag of runner beans
    large cabbage
    Curtesy of workmates allotment!
    One half of the world cannot understand the pleasures of the other
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business