🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Double Discount Car Insurance Loophole!

Options

Comments

• booogle
    booogle Posts: 144 Forumite
    Options
    Well I have taken the plunge and taken out the NW cover. The best equivalent quote that I could get was with the admiral group for about £250 less than the NW quote. The claim form will be posted next week and I'll post the outcome..
  • abomb1969
    Options
    I got the collywobbles and cancelled my policy, customer service seemed good UK based.
    This signature is not mine!
  • bungalowbill
    Options
    Well, took the plunge after reading all posts! N'wide quote £180 more. Thought i'd send for the claim form now to save time....worst problem was contacting them. No-one had heard of the promise on the number listed on the t&c's. Gave me two other nos to try, same story. Said it was nothing to do with n'wide, but being done as a 'branch offer' Eventually was told to go to branch personally. Reckoned they might pull the offer before i could get there! So rang, got thro to another call centre (even tho local number). She promoised to send me claim form. Will take three days for N'wide paperwork. Fingers crossed....
    Mark Hughes' blue and white army
  • bobdauilda
    Options
    Sainsburys and tescos are the cheapest for my TT (same site format as FirstAlternative and Esure but about £10 difference between them) Nationwide quote is £400 more at £1095 but its those damn T&C's that worry me especially the euro cover...... Have I got it right that Nationwide offer full cover for 90days? Everyone else offers it 'at a premium that we may charge' but dont include it as standard..... What we need is a list of insurers that match Nationwides T &C's then we'll be laughing. Any volunteers???
    Happiness is wanting what you have, not having what you want.

Primum non noce!
  • Gettinsavvy
    Options
    Took out Nationwide insurance (cheaper already than my previous car insurance) for £200. Have found a quote for £140 with Budget - seems to be the same. It took 40 minutes to request a price promise claim form! Nobody knew what I was on about. Filled in the forms online for all the policies and most companies seem to send a policy through the post so no need to print out websites. The price promise claim form only mentions refunding the difference and not double the difference but I can't see this being a problem as they are definately advertising double the difference...watch this space - I'm going ferret!
  • Gettinsavvy
    Options
    Still haven't received my written policy from Nationwide and need to include this with my claim form. mmmmm! It was supposed to be here by today and is going to hold up my claim.
  • southernscouser
    Options
    Hi there, this is my first post so please go easy on me!

I have checked Elephants T&C's and they offer "free European cover included with all policies".

And, "free courtesy car when you use one of our approved repairers"

Would Nationwide tell you the companies that offer the same cover if you asked?
  • MarkyMarkD
    MarkyMarkD Posts: 9,912 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    As I said previously:
    MarkyMarkD wrote:
    I think that elephant (https://www.elephant.co.uk) is a contender - it states that EU cover is free for 90 days per year in trips of up to 30 days, which is virtually the same as Nationwide's cover (although Nationwide don't seem to have the 30 day trip limit).
    It depends if Nationwide are going to be really petty about the fact that you can go abroad for a single 90 day trip with them, but only a single 30 day trip with Elephant. That would be really nit-picking IMHO - how many people actually take trips of over 30 days at a time?
  • smartiepants
    Options
    MarkyMarkD wrote:
    As I said previously:It depends if Nationwide are going to be really petty about the fact that you can go abroad for a single 90 day trip with them, but only a single 30 day trip with Elephant. That would be really nit-picking IMHO - how many people actually take trips of over 30 days at a time?

I do all the time, We have a house in France! all business calls are diverted to France and we live out there for upto 3 months at a time.
    Make it happen (old signature)

Making it happen (NEW Signature Jan 2009)
  • rozeepozee
    Options
    Sorry if someone has already picked up on this, but I've just got quotes from Nationwide and Churchill respectively and the options for voluntary excesses are not the same (150 for Nationwide, but 175 0r 200 for Churchill). Does this mean the online quotes won't meet the criteria and we'll have to phone up - or is this Nationwide's way of wheedling out of meeting the cost promise? It would certainly be a good deal for me as the quote from Nationwide is 418 and that from Churchill 354
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 11 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport