Double Discount Car Insurance Loophole!

Options

Comments

• lohwj
    lohwj Posts: 30 Forumite
    Options
    Maybe we should start a list as to which policies are comparable.

In my case, direct line is the best quote I've got (£905), but they don't have the European cover, and the windscreen excess is £60 (Nationwide is £75). Directline also has a "Excess payable towards fire & theft claims: £200" that Nationwide doesn't seem to have. Those are the only differences I've found so far.
  • MarkyMarkD
    MarkyMarkD Posts: 9,912 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I think people need to read their "overseas use" paragraphs extremely carefully.

The NU cover quoted is NOT equivalent. They provide standard legal minimum cover for 90 days of overseas use. This is pretty much the bog standard that most insurers provide.

They charge EXTRA for comprehensive overseas cover. The Nationwide policy includes this as STANDARD. As Martin says, they WILL treat this as a difference in cover and won't pay out.

There are insurers around who give 90 days EU cover included in the price ... but it doesn't appear that NU are one of them. Beware MSMiser who I think believed that NU was equivalent.

Is it possible to get an NU quote with the extra cover included (making it equivalent) or is this the sort of upgrade you would have to do post-completion making it invalid, IMHO. I think that Nationwide are entitled to nit pick on this offer, as it's rather over-generous otherwise, and wouldn't want anyone to fall foul of anything like this.
  • mshelsbels
    Options
    I just had a quote from Nationwide and its £2,100!!!!!!! (my car is only a one litre Nissan Figaro would you believe, but I had an accident, and I dont have any no claims!) My best quote up to now, like for like, has been quote-a-car £570. I'm VERY wary to fork out over 2 grand only to have Nationwide refuse the refund. I'm also unsure of quote-a-car as I've never heard of them.....can anyone help please?
    :eek:

edit.... just had an even better quote from 'quote-a-car' - £527.00...wow!
    Women marry men hoping they will change, men marry women hoping they won't! Inevitably they will both be disappointed.
    Albert Einstein
    :smileyhea
  • mdb99jh
    mdb99jh Posts: 379 Forumite
    Options
    Just got an annoyingly good quote from nationwide. Was hoping for something extremely expensive so I could claim loads back!
    Anyway, as suggested, got quote from churchill website as well and its £40 cheaper. Presumabley the churchill cover will be identical in the small print to the nationwide? Can annyone confirm this? I have had a good read but its a bit confusing...
  • MarkyMarkD
    MarkyMarkD Posts: 9,912 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Finding a policy with the same EU cover, but cheap, is easier said than done. I think that elephant (https://www.elephant.co.uk) is a contender - it states that EU cover is free for 90 days per year in trips of up to 30 days, which is virtually the same as Nationwide's cover (although Nationwide don't seem to have the 30 day trip limit). Tricky for me to get the excesses to tie up as Nationwide's compulsory is £50 and the other insurer does them in £100s - d'oh! Worth a look for others and your feedback appreciated.
  • booogle
    booogle Posts: 144 Forumite
    Options
    I'm looking at bell direct which seems to have the euro cover. They are part of the admiral group so the euro cover is probably the same as admiral and elephant. I can get the excesses to more or less match. My insurance is due on Saturday, I'm still thinking about whether to go for it...
  • peteraj
    Options
    Well guess we are are all reading the policy details far more now than we have ever done before looking at all the ways Nationwide will try and wriggle out.
    Someone earlier in the thread mentioned Greasy Palm so I have just been to have a look there and there is currently £70 cashback via Lloyds TSB.
    They have quoted me £235.20 for my wifes car (same as Nationwide) and £30 more than my renewal with Egg but with £70 cashback that makes them £40 cheaper.
    Strange how it goes around, but Egg got the business last year by offering £50 cashback which made them the cheapest.
    Looks like Lloyds will be getting the business as I have used the comparison sites that Martin recommends and no one else has beaten the price, and I am starting to think that my time is worth more than an extra £10 I might save. One more call tomorrow to Norwich Union as they are offering 14 months for the price of 12 so they may have a good deal - when I phoned tonight though I got someone in India even though I am 28 miles from norwich, if it happens in the morning I will give that one a miss and go with Lloyds anyway.

Glad my other car is a company one and I don't have to sort out insurance for that as the whole exercise is a pain really!
    Peteraj.

Trying hard to save money and trying to help friends do the same by finding the real "Moneysaving" bargains and avoiding companies that take my custom for granted.
  • jordylass
    jordylass Posts: 1,093 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Hope they get it right when it comes to the claims, as I can't find anyone who can send out (or even seems to know about) a claim form on the number 08457 302010 as given on their website.
    There is nothing either good or bad but thinking makes it so.
  • booogle
    booogle Posts: 144 Forumite
    Options
    I agree, the phone line seems to know nothing about the offer or the claimform - I ended up going to a branch and picking up the leaflet
  • smartiepants
    Options
    Sorry chaps, I have read enough to make me renew my car Insurance with Esure, one of the main reasons being their NCD rules are fantastic and go as high as 75% for me this is important, not worth the risk for me to take the chance.

But Dangermoose, did you take up Martins fantastic offer ???????????
    Make it happen (old signature)

Making it happen (NEW Signature Jan 2009)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure