Double Discount Car Insurance Loophole!

Options

Comments

• booogle
    booogle Posts: 144 Forumite
    Options
    It says on the leaflet I got from the branch today that it has to be a "written quote" enclosed with the claim. Has anybody asked them if a web quote printed out is ok? This could be a get out clause for them if we're not careful..
  • newfunk
    newfunk Posts: 2,415 Forumite
    Options
    I think earlier in the thread, there was some confusion on this,!
    In this trusted place U can erase
    Every tear that ever rolled down your weary face
    All the time U waste in that paper chase
    Is time better spent in these arms of mine
  • booogle
    booogle Posts: 144 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks for pointing that out, the quote should be like with like is more realistic, not many quotes are written these days. I think I'll have a go at this
  • freestyle_3
    Options
    Are you all saying that the claim will be processed in 14 days as well ?

What if they take 3 weeks to process and say 'no sorry' then I can't use my 14 day money return can I ??

Also what if they use the line "Nationwide reserves the right to withdraw this offer at any time." before my claim is processed...

Answers on a postcard
  • newfunk
    newfunk Posts: 2,415 Forumite
    Options
    Thats the bit that worries me, I cant afford to be £800 out of pocket!
    In this trusted place U can erase
    Every tear that ever rolled down your weary face
    All the time U waste in that paper chase
    Is time better spent in these arms of mine
  • dangermoose
    Options
    Nationwide quoted me 413 but my cheapest quote is 198. Potentially free insurance for a year.

What is like for like? There will always be some differences between policies, I suspect Nationwide will interpret it according to how much money they think they might lose.

The 14 day cooling off period (which may be the obligatory 14 day distance-selling cooling off period anyway) will elapse before the 28 days is up.

My cheapest quote is online and when I print it off there is no date - Nationwide state that the quote must be a later one than their's so I think I may slip up here.

Nationwide will be raking in thousands of pounds from the poor suckers that don't shop around. With an offer like that lots of people will assume that they must be (one of) the cheapest. But will they pay out? They do have the big get-out clause that they may discontinue the offer at any time. This seems to suggest they will pay out untill they lose too much money. If we buy a policy at just the wrong time though we could be quids out :(

I'm still undecided, but on the whole I don't think I'll go for it without a date on my cheapest quote. Basically I don't trust them to honour their offer.
  • MSE_Martin
    MSE_Martin Posts: 8,272 Money Saving Expert
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    OK we need to get this tried. Dangermouse - if you fancy being guinea pig here's the deal

1. Detail what cover you've got
    2. Check the European cover element is roughly similar (that may be a sticking point)- and make sure it's thrid party to third party or comprehensive to comprehensive.
    3. Check the excess is within £25
    4. Assuming all those are correct, then go for it
    5. If they won't honour try and cancel
    6. If something goes wrong, I will cover the difference personally - someone needs to try this and your claim is worth being the guinea pig before (and less risk than some of the bigger ones)

So there you go DM - you have a genuinely risk free go. And my word that if the worst comes to the worst providing all the above checks out - i will give you the £200 difference.

martin
    Martin Lewis, Money Saving Expert.
    Please note, answers don't constitute financial advice, it is based on generalised journalistic research. Always ensure any decision is made with regards to your own individual circumstance.
    Don't miss out on urgent MoneySaving, get my weekly e-mail at www.moneysavingexpert.com/tips.
    Debt-Free Wannabee Official Nerd Club: (Honorary) Members number 000
  • Lady_K
    Lady_K Posts: 4,429 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Do you have to give the same voluntary access? because on some you only get a choice of 175 or 250 but the one on thier site is 200 would that void it?

Whats the European cover?
    Thanx

Lady_K
  • VardreRFC
    Options
    Does anyone know which companies do NOT charge extra for European Cover (Green card) ?

I know that Tesco do charge.

Will be taking out insurance with Nationwide even though it's £41.01 more expensive than my cheapest quote up until now. If I get a refund, great. If not, then my attitude is that I would probably spent the extra on green cards anyway.

PS Martin, posting at 2:46am - thats dedication!
  • Lady_K
    Lady_K Posts: 4,429 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Oh I see its for cover to drive in other countries... Well does Nationwides include that? coz if they do and tescos dont you might aswell look for another quote cheaper that inclues it to compare it with for refund just to be sure
    Thanx

Lady_K
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family