Double Discount Car Insurance Loophole!

Options

Comments

• abomb1969
    Options
    I took out a policy before it is pulled as I suspect that they might realised their error in being so generous in the morning! My cheque back will be £413 and my premium £579. And I paid the £579 with my amex 2% cashback card - thats roughly £140 for a 4.6l Range Rover.

I read the small print and you have till the 28 Nov to submit and get an alternative quote. This is a binding contract now I have entered into it and as long as I comply with the T&C's I will be getting my cheque - has anyone else done this yet?

Over the cheapest quote I got from NU I saved £230ish.

I would suggest anyone hesitating takes an insurance policy NOW as you have 14 days to cancel if you change your mind, as the Nationwide say the offer can be withdrawn at any time I suspect that several of you might actually get free insurance if you get in quick.
    This signature is not mine!
  • ltlmiles5
    Options
    balsingh wrote:
    Most companies provide a courtesy car ... but I've not come across hotel cover or clothes bring covered. Maybe thats what they will catch you out on!!

Yes, I've just renewed my car insurance today, and I didn't dare take out Nationwide's offer as it was so much more than the one I was quoted. Incidentally, I found https://www.quotelinedirect.com a lot better than the two websites suggested here. I always spend hours and days getting various quotes and they've always provided the BEST! I've been with them for 3 years now, into my 4th year, and no problems so far. They even give you some discounts eg 1/2 price MOT, etc with various companies. I would try them for a very cheap quote.

It's true that it's hard to find companies that will provide the hotel or clothes cover. But if any of you want to try out quotelinedirect, they're also offering £100 Thomas Cook vouchers for new business! If you take out breakdown cover from them as well, it's only £59 from Europ Assistance, Europe's largest breakdown company, and that covers you even outside your home and in Europe! Bargain!

I called them previously on a Sunday, and it only took them about 40 mins to get to me. Last year when it was snowing badly in Kent, they were with me within the hour, although I was told it would take longer due to the hazardous conditions!

One negative side though: The web quote I got was about £60-100 cheaper than the one I got through their customer services. They ask you to call them to see if they can beat their web quote, and it turns out they can't and it's even more expensive as their website isn't 100% accurate!!! Still, it was cheaper than other companies. Maybe it's because I'm not a new customer.... last time , I got a better deal when I rang up.
  • MSE_Martin
    MSE_Martin Posts: 8,272 Money Saving Expert
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi Folks,

I know some of you have said "im too scared to do this", do remember even if Nationwide don't agree to double the discount you've a 14 day cooling off period. This is from its t&cs

Please read your Policy carefully and keep it in a safe place. If You do not feel that this Policy meets Your requirements, please send it back to Us straight away. If it is returned to Us within 14 days of receipt We will refund the premium in full provided no claims have been made during that time. The full annual premium will be due if a claim has been made during that period.
    Martin Lewis, Money Saving Expert.
    Please note, answers don't constitute financial advice, it is based on generalised journalistic research. Always ensure any decision is made with regards to your own individual circumstance.
    Don't miss out on urgent MoneySaving, get my weekly e-mail at www.moneysavingexpert.com/tips.
    Debt-Free Wannabee Official Nerd Club: (Honorary) Members number 000
  • balsingh
    balsingh Posts: 1,493 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I am sure someone mentioned that it can take 28 days to claim the money back .... by then its too late to cancel if the claim falls through.
    If you found my comment helpful, please click the 'Thanks' button below :T
  • abomb1969
    Options
    Yes balsingh you will be too late to cancel but you can still terminate cover albeit at a cost (does anyone know what the cost of this is i dont have my policy docs at work).
    This signature is not mine!
  • Bonjeroo
    Options
    abomb1969 wrote:
    Yes balsingh you will be too late to cancel but you can still terminate cover albeit at a cost (does anyone know what the cost of this is i dont have my policy docs at work).

I don't see that this is an issue. You can read the policy documents here:

http://www.nationwide.co.uk/insuran..._ins_policy.htm

Surely you can check the policy for your cheaper quote against the Nationwide policy before going ahead.

Any money savers fancy calling Nationwide and seeing which companies' policies match theirs?

Bonj
  • MSMiser
    MSMiser Posts: 20 Forumite
    Options
    Well I have just gone for it, got renewal quote from AA they wanted just over £400. Nationwide quote was £255 then Norwich Union 'Quoted me Happy' at £210 so a saving of £235. Thanks Martin !
  • newfunk
    newfunk Posts: 2,415 Forumite
    Options
    So if they dont pay up, how much is the cancellation charge?
    In this trusted place U can erase
    Every tear that ever rolled down your weary face
    All the time U waste in that paper chase
    Is time better spent in these arms of mine
  • MSMiser
    MSMiser Posts: 20 Forumite
    Options
    Shoulnt be a cancellation charge as you have a 14 day cooling off period
  • newfunk
    newfunk Posts: 2,415 Forumite
    Options
    MSMiser wrote:
    Shoulnt be a cancellation charge as you have a 14 day cooling off period

But if it takes 28 days to pay up what then? Just my luck I'd be out of pocket by £800
    In this trusted place U can erase
    Every tear that ever rolled down your weary face
    All the time U waste in that paper chase
    Is time better spent in these arms of mine
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business