🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Dog Owners

Options

Comments

• sammy_kaye18
    sammy_kaye18 Posts: 3,677 Forumite
    Homepage Hero Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    What dog do you have? A small yet slightly psychotic Jack Russell Terrier called Bruno who is 7 years old.

Why did you get your dog? Boyfriend has always had a dog around so we decided to get him as company and as our second baby

Where did you get it? Llanelli Dogs Home - a small privately funded rescue centre - its not big or fancy (in fact looks quite shabby and horrid) by by god they love the dogs there.

What does it eat? Dry food, with the occassional tin (if its dented in Wilkos) and Wilkos treats.

How much does it cost you weekly? dont know we tend to buy a giant bag now as it works out cheaper with the odd bag of cheapy treats

Do you leave it alone? Yes occassionalyl if i have to go off to do th eschool run aqnd if i have to go to Mr T, but apart from that im normally home or my partner is so he has company.

Work/holiday arrangements? My mother in law looks after him for us if we go away anywhere. Work - I have him when bf is in work and when i work in the evenings on friday and sunday my boyfriend is home

Do you do anything with it (agility/flyball etc)? He si being retrained - his previous owners lied on the handing over slip so we have had to retrain him, so hes on clicker training but he loves playing fetch.

Anything else you'd like to say. Always research a breed before just picking/rescuing a dog - if i knew then what i do now about JRT's I think I would have prepared myself better for my mini maniac
    Making Changes To Save My Life
    Current weightloss - 2lbs (week 1)
  • LizD_2
    LizD_2 Posts: 1,503 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    The reason I ask is because I would like to get a dog of my own. I wanted to see people's thoughts and experiences, particularly those that go out to work.
  • pboae
    pboae Posts: 2,719 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    What dog do you have? St. Bernard

Why did you get your dog? We'd been waiting for the right time to get another dog after moving house. We were the right home for this one.

Where did you get it? GDAS - Great Dane Rescue

What does it eat? Royal Canin Giant Breed

How much does it cost you weekly? Less than £10 a week for food, but the same again for treats, snacks, etc

Do you leave it alone? In the day he is sometimes alone for maximum 6 hours, usually 4, and never more than 3 hours at a time. Weekends and 2 weekdays someone is home with him.

Work/holiday arrangements? OH goes in late or comes home at lunch. Holidays he usually comes with us to France or goes to my sister for a few days. Kennelled him back at the rescue for 2 weeks once. Would consider doing it again, but I didn't like leaving him (he was fine, I wasn't!)

Do you do anything with it (agility/flyball etc)? Obedience and basic training, KC good citizen

Anything else you'd like to say.
    When I had my loft converted back into a loft, the neighbours came around and scoffed, and called me retro.
  • candygirl
    candygirl Posts: 29,455 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    LizD wrote: »
    I have some questions:

What dog do you have? 2 staffies

Why did you get your dog? I wanted a different breed after having labs for years.

Where did you get it?2 seperate breeders

What does it eat? wagg working dog dry food

How much does it cost you weekly? about £3 for both

Do you leave it alone? Yes when I work.

Work/holiday arrangements?kennels when I go away.

Do you do anything with it (agility/flyball etc)? no

They're my fur babies:D :D

candyinbowl2.jpg

Just found this pic of Candy when she was a pup.She used to sit in her bowl all the time:)
    "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf"

(Kabat-Zinn 2004):D:D:D
  • ka7e
    ka7e Posts: 3,092 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    What dog do you have? 12 year-old chocolate Lab

Why did you get your dog? Lost our previous Lab to cancer. Missed her so much!

Where did you get it? Breeder of show Labs

What does it eat? Autarky Autumn - dry complete food + table scraps

How much does it cost you weekly? Less than £2

Do you leave it alone? Rarely for more than an hour or so.

Work/holiday arrangements? Not applicable.

Do you do anything with it (agility/flyball etc)? No, she's too old now. She used to love paddling/swimming and hours of "fetch"!

Anything else you'd like to say. I think owning a dog is a huge commitment. You have to be prepared to walk it in all weathers, pick up it's poo (!), feed and insure it, train it consistantly and provide a secure loving environment. Wanting an evening or weekend companion and leaving a dog alone all day is unkind.

UPDATED 6/02/09
    Sadly, I had to have my lovely Beck PTS 2 weeks ago. Checking her paperwork, she was actually 14 years old, and she had been suffering from some serious neurological problems for quite some time.

So, I would add that taking on the responsibility for a dog is a bit like a marriage. You have to undertake to stick by them in sickness and in health, for richer or poorer, until death ends the "union".
    "Cheap", "Fast", "Right" -- pick two.
  • RedBern
    RedBern Posts: 1,237 Forumite
    Options
    I have some questions:

What dog do you have? Floyd, 3 yr old golden retriever

Why did you get your dog? Because my husband wanted someone to be pleased to see him when he came in from work;)

Where did you get it? from a local breeder

What does it eat? Bakers dry food in the morning, more Bakers & tin of Pedigree Chum in evening

How much does it cost you weekly? £10

Do you leave it alone? Yes

Work/holiday arrangements? grown up children look after him or friend

Do you do anything with it (agility/flyball etc)? Trying to train to recall - that's hard enough

Anything else you'd like to say. Our children ask why we didn't have a dog when they were younger and we cannot remember a time we didn't have him.
    Bern :j
  • jackomdj
    jackomdj Posts: 3,073 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I have some questions:

What dog do you have? Harrier - a bit like a lanky beagle

Why did you get your dog? I always wanted a dog as a child but was not allowed! Always wanted a beagle as we used to go to Dartmouth College & visit the Beagles

Where did you get it? From freeadds 12 years ago

What does it eat? bakers dry, any type wet (for his tablets to go in), some scraps (I know!)

How much does it cost you weekly? no idea, but make sure you get it insured. We did when he was about 7 or 8 & he had a stroke about 3 months later & has been on medication ever since. He is now on that & arthritus medication.

Do you leave it alone? We both used to work full time & he would go outside. I now work 2 days a week (he is home 7:10 till 5:30) & he stays inside as he now prefers it inside

Work/holiday arrangements? kennels

Do you do anything with it (agility/flyball etc)? no, lots of long walks when he was younger, now he gets tired after a few miles!

harriers make wonderful pets, they are great with children and are happy to have varied length walks. When Chester eventually goes we will get another dog, remeber though dogs ar enot for everyone, you have to put a lot into them & have to think about what you are doing (going out/away etc). He is the best £20 we ever spent!:T
  • kit
    kit Posts: 1,678 Forumite
    Options
    What dog do you have? Labrador

Why did you get your dog? I didnt feel my family was complete without one!

Where did you get it? Rescue centre in Oxford ... she was rescued from a puppy farm.

What does it eat? Waggs - she has a dodgy tummy and this is the only food she will keep in!

How much does it cost you weekly? Food: about £3, insurance about £5, treats about £5, training / adgility £5.

Do you leave it alone? Yes, now I have trained it to be left.

Work/holiday arrangements? Family and friends or pay someone to have in own home.... cant put her in kennels due to her past.

Do you do anything with it (agility/flyball etc)? Currently doing agility and good citizen awards. Will be going heel work to music too. She was not even house trained when we got her so have had to work hard!

Anything else you'd like to say. 'fun clubs' for dogs are easy to find and great for trying out agility, heel work etc to see if you like it.
    My dog makes me :beer: without her I would be lost.
    2012 wins approx £11,000 including 5k to spend on a holiday :j
  • jay11_2
    jay11_2 Posts: 3,735 Forumite
    Options
    I have some questions:

What dog do you have? Golden retriever 7 yrs old

Why did you get your dog? didn't feel our family was complete without one
    Where did you get it? Kennel club reccomended breeder

What does it eat? James wellbeloved dry, soaked in hot/warm water

How much does it cost you weekly? £10 approx (£6-7 food and biscuits, plus vets/insurance/kennels)

Do you leave it alone? Yes 6-8 hours, now she's older and trained to it (looks affronted if I'm home early!!) Lots of long walks needed though.

Work/holiday arrangements? My mum's for longer. Local, excellent, Kennels for shorter/if mum away.

Do you do anything with it (agility/flyball etc)? Lots of walks, play fetch, usual stuff.

They're great, lots of training when young will pay dividends. Very tying though.
    Anytime;)
  • EssexGirl
    EssexGirl Posts: 977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    What dog do you have? A 4 year old Staffordshire bull terrier

Why did you get your dog? I've never been without a dog, so when our inherited German Shepherd passed away we set out looking for another dog. We never planned on a Staffy as they are so "Essex" but she was so cute it was love at first sight.

Where did you get it? Local RSPCA centre

What does it eat? Anything she can beg or steal :rotfl: , Wagg complete with half a can of Tesco dog food.

How much does it cost you weekly? No idea, about £2 a week in canned food, the big bag of Wagg is about £12-15 for 15kg, lasts about 6-8 weeks.

Do you leave it alone? Yes, she is a chewer so is cage trained for her own safety.

Work/holiday arrangements? In laws want a dog, but don't want the tie, so they "borrow" her when we go away :) The kennels we got her from otherwise.

Do you do anything with it (agility/flyball etc)? No, just fetch and chase the cat around the garden. She is as well behaved in basic comands, but thick as two short planks, SO not cut out for obiedience work :D

Dogs are a terrible tie. You have to be ready to think of the dogs welfare when you plan to do pretty much anything.

Kids you can take almost anywhere, but dogs are a different matter.
    The unconditional love they give back to you makes any hastle worthwhile.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 11 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport