digital luggage scale

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Flights, Currency & Car Hire
72 replies 53.1K views

Replies

• pompeiipompeii Forumite
    257 Posts
    I got the Dealtime ones, for our recent trip to Orlando, they were accurate with the scales at the airport on the way out, and we feel confident that we will not have any overweight issues (wish i could say the same for me) on our return from Orlando.
  • We were stung for £175 while traveling to South Africa with my inlaws. Yes £175!!!. I didn't even know that luggage scales existed. I just remembered thinking there must be something to avoid all this embarassment at the airport and the crazy fees. It's too easy to go over the limit when travelling with children and you have no way to weigh in advance.

After trying a few scales Airweigh, Design Go, No More Excess manual scale and No More Excess digital, which I wasn't happy with, I found the Travelright scale at Amazon (http://www.amazon.co.uk/TravelRight-Luggage-Scale-Baggage-scale/dp/B002L28O26) and I've been using it now for abut 8 months with no problems. Does the job excellently. It's a manual scale. I decided to go for a manual one as I fall into the habit of forgetting replacement batteries. The last thing I want is to be scrambling for batteries when my cab is on the way.
  • mealeysmealeys Forumite
    193 Posts
    Netto were selling manual scales for £1.99! Don't know if they're any good. Does anyone else know?
  • deegee999deegee999 Forumite
    308 Posts
    I use the same ones netto sell, I use them for pike fishing as well, so i got them checked at work, Absolutely spot on according to our equipment, so buy a set them check them. Straight after they were checked we went malta, so I checked the bag on them & on the scales at luton, 3 bag scales didnt agree with mine OR each other the fourth one did agree with mine. Are Airport scales ever checked?
  • My local pound land (arndale manchester) is selling luggage scales for a quid! don't look great quality but at a quid you can't argue. Better than getting stung innit.
  • dank4000dank4000 Forumite
    30 Posts
    When I flew to Ibiza with Jet2 last year I got royally screwed... First they caught me out with my hand luggage. I'm pretty sure they must have a lower size restriction that other airlines?

They made me put my suitcase in the box but only sideways (it would have fitted in if I'd been allowed to slide in diagonally and then straighten).

So they forced me to pay £40 to check it into the hold, then my main bag was also 2 kilos over. I guess it was lucky because I was able to shift some weight into the second bag. Since then I got myself a cheap scale from this site: http://www.luggage-scales.net think it was from amazon.

Moral of the story - check the restrictions! weigh and measure your bag before you go. I've just had a look at Ryan Air's prices and they are now charging £80 if you check in a second bag at the airport!

http://www.ryanair.com/en/questions/table-of-fees - Have a quick read, it is a joke. I don't reckon I will ever fly with Ryan Air again, one slip up and you could end up loosing a small fortune.
  • PollycatPollycat Forumite
    31.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Savvy Shopper!
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My local pound land (arndale manchester) is selling luggage scales for a quid! don't look great quality but at a quid you can't argue. Better than getting stung innit.

I bought some cheap ones and they're surprisingly accurate.
  • PollycatPollycat Forumite
    31.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Savvy Shopper!
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    dank4000 wrote: »
    When I flew to Ibiza with Jet2 last year I got royally screwed... First they caught me out with my hand luggage. I'm pretty sure they must have a lower size restriction that other airlines?

They made me put my suitcase in the box but only sideways (it would have fitted in if I'd been allowed to slide in diagonally and then straighten).

So they forced me to pay £40 to check it into the hold, then my main bag was also 2 kilos over. I guess it was lucky because I was able to shift some weight into the second bag. Since then I got myself a cheap scale from this site: http://www.luggage-scales.net think it was from amazon.

Moral of the story - check the restrictions! weigh and measure your bag before you go. I've just had a look at Ryan Air's prices and they are now charging £80 if you check in a second bag at the airport!

http://www.ryanair.com/en/questions/table-of-fees - Have a quick read, it is a joke. I don't reckon I will ever fly with Ryan Air again, one slip up and you could end up loosing a small fortune.

Dank
    according to Jet2's website, they allow one piece measuring no more than 56x45x25cm including wheels/handle weighing not more than 10kg.
    That's slightly bigger than Ryanair (55x40x20cm) and a lot of low cost carriers & charter airlines - and much bigger than Thomas Cook's measly dimensions.

The answer is to always ensure you know the rules for whichever airline you're flying with - and don't overstep the mark.
  • dank4000dank4000 Forumite
    30 Posts
    Grr! thanks for the tip Pollycat.
    I guess that makes the 50 quid I spent on a suitcase specifically for cabin baggage a massive waste of money then! :T
  • jeanniebeanie_2jeanniebeanie_2 Forumite
    635 Posts
    ✭✭
    mad_rich wrote: »
    Don't be fooled into thinking that 'digital' means 'accurate'. I would be surprised if any of these things were any more accurate than your bathroom scales, and probably less so.

And if you were thinking of using them to argue the toss at the check-in desk...

My bathroom scales are total LIARS! I KNOW I am at least 2 stone lighter!
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

PCR tests to end for fully vaccinated

Travellers returning to England in Oct

MSE News

Free Homebuilding & Renovating Show tix

London, Harrogate & Shepton Mallet

MSE Deals