digital luggage scale

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Flights, Currency & Car Hire
72 replies 53.1K views

Replies

• JSFJSF Forumite
    188 Posts
    Was getting a cabin bag and on the way went past a B&M yesterday and I recalled someone said they sold cheap luggage scales (thanks whoever you were). After a 5min search found them for £1.99. As Ryanair is 10kg cabin and 15kg for hold its well within the 22kg they weigh. Its a double check with the bathroom scales and deducting my weight when I measure me and the case. Its got a reasonably easy to read dial, so long as I am close to 10 or 15kg it will do for the couple of occasions I may go away an no nasty surprise excess charges I hope!.
    :j
  • colmilcolmil Forumite
    1.5K Posts
    I bought the Balanzza digital scales last week, about £16 inc postage from Amazon, they are supposed to be accurate to a tenth of a kg.

The webbed handle fixes around the case handle so I only need to lift the case just off the ground, it bleeps after a second and the digital reading is held for me to see.

I have a Carlton case, one of the thick plastic ones, it weighs 5.45k!

We're going to Canada and USA this weekend so its going to be a battle to keep below the 20k but the scales are going with us, too!
    Filiss
  • cannyscot wrote: »
    US case had to be under 23kg -so hefty weight but the little hook held up fine and was brill for bringing our US buys home without ANY CHARGES.

Yes, because tax evasion is the big and clever thing to do.
    From Poland...with love.

They are (they're)
    sitting on the floor.
    Their
    books are lying on the floor.
    The books are sitting just there on the floor.
  • Doc_NDoc_N Forumite
    7.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yes, because tax evasion is the big and clever thing to do.

I'm absolutely with you on the principle, but the charges referred to were probably excess baggage charges.
  • PollycatPollycat Forumite
    31.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Savvy Shopper!
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Doc_N wrote: »
    I'm absolutely with you on the principle, but the charges referred to were probably excess baggage charges.

Hmmm, PBS presumably got hold of the wrong end of the stick and assumed that cannyscot was smuggling.

PBS
    maybe you need to understand the meaning of posts before jumping in.....:confused:
  • Doc_N wrote: »

I'd be surprised if someone going to the US for a shopping trip managed to stay under the limit for importing things without duty.
    From Poland...with love.

They are (they're)
    sitting on the floor.
    Their
  • PollycatPollycat Forumite
    31.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Savvy Shopper!
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd be surprised if someone going to the US for a shopping trip managed to stay under the limit for importing things without duty.

Does cannyscot actually say that they travelled to the US for a shopping trip?

How do you know what they may have purchased there and how much it cost?

I've been to New York twice and didn't go over the limit for importing goods or my baggage allowance - which is what cannyscot was probably referring to when talking about not paying any charges.
  • edited 23 May 2009 at 6:02PM
    luciluci Forumite
    5.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 23 May 2009 at 6:02PM

We did some major shopping in Las Vegas and managed to fill a holdall with our purchases. I totalled it up and we were well within the new allowances for bringing "other goods" back.
  • luci wrote: »
    We did some major shopping in Las Vegas and managed to fill a holdall with our purchases. I totalled it up and we were well within the new allowances for bringing "other goods" back.

Did you assume UK prices? I believe UK Customs will use the value of the goods in the UK, not the price paid as a basis for their judgements.
    From Poland...with love.

They are (they're)
    sitting on the floor.
    Their
  • spenderspender Forumite
    1.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    If you have any nectar points 4000 will get you Salter luggage scale weighs up to 40kgs.
    No Matter what you do there will be critics.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest News and Guides

Best student bank accounts 2021/22

Incl. free 0% overdrafts and railcards

MSE Guide

Next 50% off sale rumour

Here's what we've found...

MSE Deals