digital luggage scale

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Flights, Currency & Car Hire
72 replies 53.1K views

Replies

• edited 23 May 2009 at 9:41PM
    n_buchann_buchan Forumite
    38 Posts
    edited 23 May 2009 at 9:41PM
    All of these people who are being "smart" and saying that they weigh their luggage on their scales at home and at work are missing the point - surely most of the excess baggage charges are on the way home on a trip, where a wee gadget like this would save money. I was charged coming back from Gran Canaria years ago (and we had bought very little), and vowed that I would neve get charged again. I spent a tenner on the fishing scales, and it has paid dividends - and it saves trying to open your cases at the airport and sort out stuff in a panic.
  • cannyscot_2cannyscot_2 Forumite
    1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, because tax evasion is the big and clever thing to do.

Blinking heck-talking about maligning someone! who appointed you judge and jury. Sorry to upset you but we are always way under any customs allowance as we have loads of children and they uy heavy rubbish like bubblegum machines that weigh a ton but cost very little in £.

Sorry we are squeaky clean when it comes to tax / or customs duty but hold our hands up to taking full advatage of legitmate 1p flights etc with ryanair and making sure we do not give them any extra money we don't want to.

Ps back to weighing scales they are brill everyone needs them to make the lines quicker and stop silly faffers who have not weighed their cases holding the rest of us up.
  • phatbearphatbear Forumite
    3.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Did you assume UK prices? I believe UK Customs will use the value of the goods in the UK, not the price paid as a basis for their judgements.

Nope we base our valuation on what the punter tells us, and if they are taking the rise then we base it on local prices, you'd be amazed how quickly people find receipts etc when you tell them you are going to charge them the vat and duty on something at the local rate
    Live each day like its your last because one day you'll be right
  • lorweldlorweld Forumite
    5.6K Posts
    I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭
    MOVING THREADS FOR BETTER RESPONSES

Hi, Martin’s asked me to post this in these circumstances: I’ve asked Board Guides to move threads if they’ll receive a better response elsewhere (please see this rule) so this post/thread has been moved to another board, where it should get more replies. If you have any questions about this policy please email [EMAIL="abuse@moneysavingexpert.com"][email protected][/EMAIL]
    :hello:
  • phatbear wrote: »
    Nope we base our valuation on what the punter tells us, and if they are taking the rise then we base it on local prices, you'd be amazed how quickly people find receipts etc when you tell them you are going to charge them the vat and duty on something at the local rate

Local as in UK prices?
    From Poland...with love.

They are (they're)
    sitting on the floor.
    Their
    books are lying on the floor.
    The books are sitting just there on the floor.
  • Helen105Helen105 Forumite
    363 Posts
    Thanks for this thread everyone. It has saved me £15 and an hour long trek round the shops at lunchtime. I was going to go out looking for the digital luggage scales but now I will buy the fishing scales from Argos which I can pick up on my way home tonight.
  • fateddiefateddie Forumite
    5 Posts
    try the uket.co.uk website i just ordered some for £14.99 and they have some for under a tenner too. Worth the money, i also used them for weighing our dog !! lol:rotfl:
  • boombapboombap Forumite
    765 Posts
    Hello,

I've just been doing a search for info on luggage scales as my dad wants some for Christmas and came across this thread.

I see there's lots of posts regarding Balanzza scales. Are they really worth the money? I'd much rather spend £20 on something that's accurate than £1 on junk.

Does anyone have any further thoughts on this or are there any other luggage scales on the market that they could recommend?

Cheers,

S.

PS If anyone's reading this thread who's also researching luggage scales then there's a recent thread on other cheapy scales here: http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?p=26851633&highlight=luggage+scales#post26851633
  • hollydayshollydays Forumite
    19.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I bought a samsonite one in the end
  • boombapboombap Forumite
    765 Posts
    Thanks for your response Holly :)

My Dad was 'stung' on the way home from Lanzarote a couple of weeks ago so Santa's getting him a scale for Christmas lol.

S.
This discussion has been closed.
LATEST MSE NEWS AND GUIDES

Cut overdraft charges

10 tips to pay less for your overdraft + how to pay it off

MSE Guides

FREE tennis coaching

Find your nearest session and pre-book your place online

MSE Deals