Oasis airline in liquidation- what to do?

Options

Comments

• Astroboy_2
    Options
    The Telegraph article was useful but alarming as my girlf paid for me and two friends on her barclaycard:

"These rules cover all purchases made worth more than £100. But there is a "get-out" clause that any claim can only be for the cardholder's personal loss. So, for example, if you paid for several people's holidays in one transaction, you might only be covered for the cost of your own holiday."

hope they dont try anything like that.

Cathay Pacific wont answer about alternative flights for this friday so it looks like we have no choice but to:

Cancel the Newcastle-> Gatwick flight and reclaim it on the Flexicover Insurance (it won't cover the HK flight as it doesnt cover insolvencies! See above)

Cancel the Gatwick -> HK flight and reclaim it with Barclaycard assuming they don't try and pull anything 'funny' (see above in this email)

Cancel the HK Hotel booked through Booking.com. If they charge any fees reclaim it through Barclaycard.

Make a loss on the Beijing hotels.
  • bushbrother
    bushbrother Posts: 17 Forumite
    Options
    Ok looks like I have similar problems to others ... I booked for me and my two friends using my LloydsTSB DEBIT card :(

I cannot beleive after 6 months from when i made the booking this happens, with 4 weeks to go before the flight ...

I have travel insurance through work which covers for cancellation, however I doubt this will cover my mates... I think my option is to try contact lloyds ...

Any suggestions ...

:mad:
  • Czarina
    Czarina Posts: 7 Forumite
    Options
    I used Virgin Credit card to purchase oasis tickets to fly in December. I rang them earlier to say that oasis is going into liquidation and is there any way of getting my money back so I can book tickets from other airline companies, their reply was, I'll have to wait till the day of the flight before they can apply for a refund from the company as it's the mastercard policy. Is that right? Please help.
    Thank you.

Czarina
  • Czarina
    Czarina Posts: 7 Forumite
    Options
    moonrakerz wrote: »
    If you paid on a credit card you are entitled to claim from the card issuer the extra fare you had to pay another airline to carry you.

When Maxjet went bust, I got £1100 back which I paid them and another £900 to make up what I had to pay BA for two Club Class seats.

Hi Moonrakerz. How do you claim it? Do you have to write to them?Can I do it anytime from now? We are planning to fly in December. When I rang virgin credit card earlier, the lady said we have to wait till December before they can apply for a refund from the company. Very confused.
    Please help. Thank you.

Czarina
  • YS_UK
    YS_UK Posts: 7 Forumite
    Options
    Czarina wrote: »
    Hi Moonrakerz. How do you claim it? Do you have to write to them?Can I do it anytime from now? We are planning to fly in December. When I rang virgin credit card earlier, the lady said we have to wait till December before they can apply for a refund from the company. Very confused.
    Please help. Thank you.

Czarina

Hi Czarina,

I called Virgin Credit card with the same issue and they told me the same thing, I am due to travel to HK next Friday, the lady at Virgin Credit card ask me to go to the airport as I would have as a proof I cannot get on to the flight?!:confused:

I don't know what to do now, she mentioned to me I can't claim until it has past the travel date I meant to travel. But due to annual leave taken at work and arrangement in HK for the week off. I have to dash out over £500 to fly with CX next week. :(:(:(:(

YS
  • bushbrother
    bushbrother Posts: 17 Forumite
    Options
    Can you not print off the notification which is now posted on the oasis hong kong website as proof that all flights are cancelled effective today?
  • Han_naH
    Han_naH Posts: 268 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Wow, I flew out with Oasis over Easter, and phoned them to extend my stay until last Saturday, when I flew back. They went bust 3 working days later. :o

Phew, I'd now be hitch-hiking my way via Uzbekistan (or somewhere). :rotfl:

Am I lucky OR WHAT?
  • j-wong
    j-wong Posts: 2 Newbie
    Options
    Hey all,

I literally paid 2 tickets to Hong Kong for this summer 2 days ago with my Halifax Master card. The guy on the phone from halifax wasnt helpful at all...I was trying to stop the transaction as it is literally 2 days ago surely I can stop the transaction! Anyway, he said I have to wait for the "Oasis Special Receiver" whatever that is to get my money back.

I would like to know how I can get my money back please is over £800 which I have saved for my son to go on this trip. Is there a protection scheme or something from the credit card company?

Please help!
  • marcusbm
    Options
    I used my mother's credit card as I only have a Singapore debit card. I guess I have to be very careful with the wording of the claim. I don't have any travel insurance as I was only booking a single and don't know when I'll return. My flight to HKG was on 24 April, I've now booked a replacement flight with Lufthansa as Cathay said I wasn't eligible.

This is really hard on me. I work in Papua and the wages I get are tiny compared to UK wages and the cost of this flight. My work covers 10 million Indonesian Rupiah towards the cost of my flights to and from Jakarta (and provide tickets for internal flights). I was only just over budget flying with Oasis HK and then JetStar but it was within budget. This has totally decimated me.
  • mulmul
    mulmul Posts: 111 Forumite
    Options
    As for HSBC Maestro Debit Card, how do I make claim,do i just walk into the bank, since i have no travel insurance and my ticket was bought from travel agent :(
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure