Car Insurance Job Picker Discussion

Comments

• dacouch
    dacouch Posts: 21,637 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    If he is on JSA then it would be hard to convince an Insurer if they looked into it that he is a house husband as to be on JSA he has to agree that he is actively looking for work
  • Hi bro and sis,

I read some opinion about this topic in citehr forum. We can find out some articles at about.com or shrm.org, I think that it is useful for our community.

Rgs
  • Marv02
    Marv02 Posts: 373 Forumite
    This is pretty interesting stuff. What would have been even better is if they had shown a list of all the jobs, but via price. Just to check who gets the cheapest insurance.
  • flyingflea
    flyingflea Posts: 192 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Newshound!
    This tool needs to be updated, it's 3 years out of date and people should be reminded to always check validity of data before committing.

I just completed 2 car insurance quotes changing only one detail, my job title. According to Martin's Job Picker, selecting Computer Engineer should save me £13.60 as oppose selecting Computer Technician.

However, what I actually found was completely the opposite! Selecting Computer Technican was actually £31 cheaper than selecting Computer Engineer!
  • junitrules
    junitrules Posts: 12 Forumite
    @flyingflea - I googled computer engineer and it is the highest risk occupation for car insurance, which is why computer technician is cheaper.

Out of interest - what is your job title? I am a network support engineer and found that network controller (computer) was £50 cheaper than computer engineer.
  • raskazz
    raskazz Posts: 2,877 Forumite
    junitrules wrote: »
    @flyingflea - I googled computer engineer and it is the highest risk occupation for car insurance

Really??! Cheaper than "professional footballer" for example?
  • I hate these drop-downs for occupation... I don't feel like I'm described fairly!

I own my own business... I'm a self-employed dance instructor.
    Yes, if you've followed my posts before, you'll know that I teach pole dancing.
    I *very occasionally* perform in this capacity but making less than £500 a year from this part of my job hardly counts as an occupation.

So.
    Drop downs don't have:
    "self employed"
    "business owner"
    "dance instructor / teacher" (let alone pole dance instructor - which I'm sure most insurers would just tar with the stripper brush)

Options DO include:
    "fitness / keep fit instructor" - nope. it's DANCE
    "dancer" - nope. My main business is TEACHING and the business admin involved in that. (performing is a tiny part of my job)
    I'm sure as hell not putting "exotic dancer" - I don't work in a gentlemen's club. (and from the point of view of an insurer, driving very late at night, and possibly having rather looser morals or intellect than the general population - not that this is true, but I'm thinking form the POV of the insurer who doesn't know the difference)

Before we go down the conversation of pole dancing - imagine I owned and ran a Ballet school and try to fit that in to the occupation list.
  • Can anyone tell me what job title I could select for taxi driver?
  • I usually pick computer programmer or software developer but this showed me data administrator as an option that would save over a tenner and as my official job title is database administrator/application developer I shall try it in future.
  • mikey72
    mikey72 Posts: 14,680 Forumite
    I hate these drop-downs for occupation... I don't feel like I'm described fairly!

I own my own business... I'm a self-employed dance instructor.
    Yes, if you've followed my posts before, you'll know that I teach pole dancing.
    I *very occasionally* perform in this capacity but making less than £500 a year from this part of my job hardly counts as an occupation.

So.
    Drop downs don't have:
    "self employed"
    "business owner"
    "dance instructor / teacher" (let alone pole dance instructor - which I'm sure most insurers would just tar with the stripper brush)

Options DO include:
    "fitness / keep fit instructor" - nope. it's DANCE
    "dancer" - nope. My main business is TEACHING and the business admin involved in that. (performing is a tiny part of my job)
    I'm sure as hell not putting "exotic dancer" - I don't work in a gentlemen's club. (and from the point of view of an insurer, driving very late at night, and possibly having rather looser morals or intellect than the general population - not that this is true, but I'm thinking form the POV of the insurer who doesn't know the difference)

Before we go down the conversation of pole dancing - imagine I owned and ran a Ballet school and try to fit that in to the occupation list.

All the ones I've used have always had "dance teacher" as an option.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure