Car Insurance Job Picker Discussion

Options

Comments

• Aluaka wrote: »
    So, will I be:-
    - unemployed (as I won't be signing on for some time if at all, and won't be seeking employment for a while)
    - househusband (as my girlfriend, not wife, who I live with is working full time and I will be at home most days doing housework, DIY and probably installing a kitchen. We have no kids if that makes a difference? And are not married!)
    - self employed - and if so as what? As I may dabble in ebay re-selling and register as a self-employed business.

Every insurer i ever ask is pretty vague when I ask what the definitions are. Different insurers tell you different things.

I think the bottom line is, if you have an accident, and you claim, that you are confident that can back up your status with the necessary paperwork. ( this is the only time they will look into it properly; ie when you need it).

From various conversations I had with insurers:-
    Houseperson = "your partner must be in full time employment"
    Self-employed = "you will be registered as 'self employed' with the tax office (eg have tge self employed tax code and pay your own tax etc)"
    Unemployed = "claiming benefit"

Ive been told that its okay to have your status as "employed", as long as you are actively seeking employment; or if you "expect" to be employed within a couple of weeks.

As you have a partner, it would be easier to stick your name on her policy, for the time being?:A
  • lean&mean
    lean&mean Posts: 77 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Can't find any of these. My son's considering a career in stand up comedy but will the insurers find it as funny. Can anyone suggest a career category that works?
  • bikerbish
    Options
    I have just informed my insurance company that I am now a housewife having been made redundant. I was asked if I was claiming any benefits, to which I responded "no" but volunteered the fact that I'd applied for Job Seekers but not yet had an interview or knew whether I was eligible. I was then informed that I would have to pay an additional premium of £75 as I was officially unemployed and more likely to be using my car during the day as I was not at work. I explained that I rarely used the vehicle due to costs etc and have everything I need within walking distance. I was informed that if my benefit claim was not sucessful, I could have a refund and be put on as a housewife. How is one meant to pay addtional premiums with no income? Why couldn't I have been classified as a housewife now? Fuming.....
  • hanelske
    Options
    Hello all,

I am a post-graduate student, doing a PhD. and getting funding for it. I get paid the same as if I was working an admin-type job and I work the same hours (e.g. 9-5). When I get quoted for car insurance there is ~£150-200 difference between me being a 'post-graduate student' / 'mature student' and being a 'research scientist'. Technically I am not employed, however, I do receive monthly funding. If the insurance site just gives a selection box of job titles and I pick 'research scientist' over 'post-graduate student' could this be interpreted as lying? Has anyone had any problems making a claim with an 'incorrect' job title?

Thanks in advance,
    H
  • jordan_2k1
    Options
    A change of title for me reduced my premium from £485 to £400.
    Very Impressed!
    Thank you for this!

And instead of stating my car is on a driveway overnight, intuitively, to instead being parked on the road, it also reduced my premium by a further £15.

Thanks again!
    You'll either end up with a nest-egg or a goose-egg
    depending on the chick you marry
  • unsaltedrhino
    Options
    Is this tool no longer valid? I note it's not linked to from the main Car Insurance page and hasn't been updated since 2008?
  • hpuse
    hpuse Posts: 1,117 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    jordan_2k1 wrote: »

And instead of stating my car is on a driveway overnight, intuitively, to instead being parked on the road, it also reduced my premium by a further £15.

Thanks again!

Thats weird ! I thought keeping in a driveway reduces risk .....
  • Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    Options
    hpuse wrote: »
    Thats weird ! I thought keeping in a driveway reduces risk .....

No, not "weird".

The norm these days.
  • hpuse
    hpuse Posts: 1,117 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Quentin wrote: »

The norm these days.

Not exactly a "norm" as you think. It all comes down to claims history of the postcode in CUE. If one area has more claims involving garaged cars, street-parked motor insurance will be cheaper for drivers.
    Insurers say one reason is that key thefts are more likely if the burglar knows which car belongs to which house.
  • Darfyddi
    Darfyddi Posts: 20 Forumite
    Options
    Please select... Unemployed House Person Retired Not Employed Due To Disability/Illness Maybe someone can help me please: I am trying to get a quote from Comparethemarket.com and putting my wife down as a named driver gives me the following option for employment:
    "Not Employed Due To Disability/Illness" OR "House Person" - both of these are true but which one would you pick?

I have been insured with Elephant for a few years and during that time my wife was a FTS so I didn't have that problem on the forms. As I am her carer [so not unemployed (not in receipt of JSA)] I found it easier to select either "Independent Means" or "Carer - Non Professional" and then explain on the phone our exact situation so that at least I knew I was honest and gave them all the information.

I am here now though as you can't phone quote comparison sites but it could make a big difference with what you put down.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure