PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Old Style vs the USDA head-to-head challenge...

Options

Comments

• In_Search_Of_Me
    In_Search_Of_Me Posts: 10,634 Forumite
    Options
    oo looks yummy! Am in the process of making bagels and have been giggling away! Will upload photos when there is a finished result but one thing I hadnt thought of when reading was the last stage which is allow dough to rise 20 mind and then separate into 12 roll each individual section into a sausage...the sausage is warm, very smooth (like a babys bum!!) and quite malleable but didnt get any stiffer while rolling it!!!! Brought back memories!!!!!!!!!! PMSL!! Sorry little things, little mind (little bagels) and all that!! Made me laugh anyhoo!!
    Nerd no 109 Long haulers supporters DFW #1! Even in the darkest moments, love and hope are always possible.

• shaz_mum_of__2
    shaz_mum_of__2 Posts: 2,010 Forumite
    Options
    oo looks yummy! Am in the process of making bagels and have been giggling away! Will upload photos when there is a finished result but one thing I hadnt thought of when reading was the last stage which is allow dough to rise 20 mind and then separate into 12 roll each individual section into a sausage...the sausage is warm, very smooth (like a babys bum!!) and quite malleable but didnt get any stiffer while rolling it!!!! Brought back memories!!!!!!!!!! PMSL!! Sorry little things, little mind (little bagels) and all that!! Made me laugh anyhoo!!

I have a recipe for bagels is it true you poach them before baking ??

Seems strange

Shaz
    Shaz
  • In_Search_Of_Me
    Options
    yes but not as strange as making the sausages!! Just done the poaching and dough hasnt gone soggy so theyre now in the oven! Apperently its the poaching that makes them squidgy and moist - I need another word as I hate the word moist! Ideas anyone?!!
    Nerd no 109 Long haulers supporters DFW #1! Even in the darkest moments, love and hope are always possible.

• purpleivy
    purpleivy Posts: 3,573 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    damp???????????????????
    [SIZE=-1]"Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"[/SIZE]
    Trying not to waste food!:j
    ETA Philosophy is wondering whether a Bloody Mary counts as a Smoothie
  • In_Search_Of_Me
    Options
    bagel1.jpg

• In_Search_Of_Me
    Options
    bagel3.jpg

• In_Search_Of_Me
    Options
    bagel4.jpg

• In_Search_Of_Me
    Options
    sorry couldnt suss how to do all pics in one post :( The verdict is that they are yummy! Lighter than shop bought but I did put an extra egg in my mistage (3rd egg was meant for glazing but I realised too late!). The eggs I had were laid by my mate at the allotment so the mixture was yellower than normal as yolks very orange! They are def worth the faff! Let me know if you would like the recipe & perhaps weel could do the costings later in the week? How did the pie go down shaz?!!

• purpleivy
    purpleivy Posts: 3,573 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    sorry couldnt suss how to do all pics in one post :( The verdict is that they are yummy! Lighter than shop bought but I did put an extra egg in my mistage (3rd egg was meant for glazing but I realised too late!). The eggs I had were laid by my mate at the allotment so the mixture was yellower than normal as yolks very orange! They are def worth the faff! Let me know if you would like the recipe & perhaps weel could do the costings later in the week? How did the pie go down shaz?!!

Laid by your mate:eek: , like "wow"!!!
    [SIZE=-1]"Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"[/SIZE]
    Trying not to waste food!:j
    ETA Philosophy is wondering whether a Bloody Mary counts as a Smoothie
  • In_Search_Of_Me
    Options
    like...behave!!! ok so he chicken made it!! semantics!! :rotfl: :rotfl:

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure