PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Old Style vs the USDA head-to-head challenge...

Options

Comments

• In_Search_Of_Me
    In_Search_Of_Me Posts: 10,634 Forumite
    Options
    ok pepys challenge time! Mr & mrs W are coming to tea. I've made the main (not a lentil in sight..almost did & then thought it may not be a treat..and theres cheese in that there recipe weezl!) but need some inspiration for pud. I wondered about a pastry or crumble with tinned fruit...I have peaches (1 can) pears (1 can) & a few fresh blueberries...I also have polenta, dried fruit (peaches, few dates & mixed fruit) & ground almonds...Ideas anyone? WIll go & hoover & then pop back!
    Flipping heck W cant believe the difference in price of those bagels! Thats obscene...hundreds (or summat!) % cheaper!
    Nerd no 109 Long haulers supporters DFW #1! Even in the darkest moments, love and hope are always possible.

• weezl74
    weezl74 Posts: 8,701 Forumite
    Options
    ceridwen wrote: »

I'm still busily notching up mentally all the things I never realised one could eat - leaves on tomato plants (apparently), wild garlic leaves cooked like spinach.....

Now wondering what edible flowers I could also lob in there as well.

hmmmmmn very interesting, I was hoping tomato leaves might turm out to be edible, but 'yahoo answers' disappointed me here, where did you find something saying we could eat them?

edible flower-wise, roses are a double whammy, with the petals dipped in sugar and eggwhite as candy, and the hips for a jam/jelly...

Re: ISOM's challenge, think I'd better duck out of this, as it would be rude and churlish to attempt to influence the hostess!

:hello:Jonathan 'Fergie' Fergus William, born 05/03/09, 7lb 4.4oz:hello:
    :)Benjamin 'Kezzie' Kester Jacob, born 18/03/10, 7lb 5oz:)
    cash neutral gifts 2011, value of purchased gifts/actual paid/amount earnt to cover it £67/£3.60/£0
    january grocery challenge, feed 4 of us for £40
  • ceridwen
    ceridwen Posts: 11,547 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    weezl74 wrote: »
    hmmmmmn very interesting, I was hoping tomato leaves might turm out to be edible, but 'yahoo answers' disappointed me here, where did you find something saying we could eat them?

In the book "Saving the planet without costing the earth - 500 simple steps to a greener lifestyle" by Donnachadh McCarthy

(page 96 - "211. You can use the leaves from the tomato plants, nasturtiums and indeed from any dandelions growing wild in your garden, to add flavour to your salads.")
  • ceridwen
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    The mystery deepens on tomato plant leaves....

I've found:

http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/extension/newsletters/hortupdate/may05/SecVeget.html

and it doesnt mention those leaves. Further - I note they put watermelon rind as edible - I had remembered that it could be used and found recipes on the Net for that - but wouldnt care to try it in this day and age, knowing what we know now about aluminium (as alum is used to render this soft enough to be edible - and I presume that means aluminium).

I also remembered some fern tips being eaten - and I googled that as well and found that its now known not to be a good idea for that either.

Hmmm....done some more googling and now found:

http://en.allexperts.com/q/Growing-Vegetables-740/Edible-Tomato-Leaves.htm#b

(hmmm...the webpage I found doesnt come up when clicking link - one gets the site - but its obviously a case of hunt the particular "page").

so - from that - I dont think its a good idea to try them (so take those leaves right back out of the salad!). I dont know where that author got that idea from then - sounds like he hadnt done much research on that point!!!
  • weezl74
    Options
    blimey! There's loads of sites queing up to tell us the leaves are a phyto-toxin. Like here

How bizarre to get such different advice on that. Your book sounds very reputable tho ceridwen....

Hmmmmn shall we risk it? ;)Dare we?

I could offer one to Mr Weezl, and watch for signs of gastric discomfort?

cash neutral gifts 2011, value of purchased gifts/actual paid/amount earnt to cover it £67/£3.60/£0
  • ceridwen
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I think you'd better not weezl - could be grounds for divorce:D

That was a bit naughty of Donnachadh not to double-check his sources - wonder if he has tried eating them himself;)
  • ceridwen
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    For another thought...thinking of me remembering melon rind and ferns used to be eaten (in fact melon rind still is in America at least - as its modern-day recipes I found for it)....think its worth a "stroll back through history" to see what things people used to eat that have now fallen out of favour and to check whether they meet modern-day standards health-wise and taste-wise.
  • maltesers_2
    maltesers_2 Posts: 291 Forumite
    Options
    There was a recipe in woman's Weekly for Lemon Polenta Cake which was topped with raspberries and blueberries. I googled it and found a similar recipe here http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/4702/lemon-polenta-cake-with-limoncello-syrup. If you did something similar you could top it with peaches and blueberries.
  • ceridwen
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Re historical recipes...you might be interested to browse

www.celtnet.org.uk/

Its an interesting site - and has a historical recipes section.

Right....I really must get on with the housework...and a bit of breadmaking...;)
  • weezl74
    Options
    Was needing to take stock after the entertain -a -thon of the weekend, so have just trawled the freezers, and happy to note that we still have: (Can't believe we've made all this food from just that budget!:o:eek:)

aubergine curry 1
    broad beans
    half bag
    chicken curry
    chickpea curry
    chile con carne
    chorizo risotto
    corned beef hash
    dahl
    dahl
    lentil and sun dried
    lentil bacon cass
    liver and bacon casserole
    liver and bacon casserole 2
    liver and spicy tomato 1
    meat balls for pasta 1
    meat loaf
    8 portions
    meat pie
    mince
    half bag
    mince and onions
    2 bags
    mushy peas
    1 bag
    nettle bhajee
    nettle pesto
    6 portions
    penne with tomato and rosemary
    sage quiche
    saag paneer
    tomato dahl
    tomato dahl
    penne with nettle
    sausages
    chicken curry
    frozen yoghurt 4
    sage houmous
    1 tub
    chocolate brownie
    lemon ice cream 7

oval naan 3
    kalonji
    oven chips
    1 portion
    rum raisin
    sage pate sandwiches

tub pesto 1
    houmous sandwiches
    cookie dough
    1 tub
    houmous baps
    cookie dough
    1 tub
    savoury pastry
    1 tub
    fruit loaf
    2/3rds
    crumbs
    1 bag

when something appears twice, it's cos it's split between 2 different freezers.

I have no idea why I thought anyone might want to know what's in the freezers!:o

Ceridwen, love the idea of a foods from the past trawl. Guess you mean further ago than thriftlady's wartime diet challenge? Middle ages? I eagerly await any thoughts!

Weezl x

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport