PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Old Style vs the USDA head-to-head challenge...

Options

Comments

• In_Search_Of_Me
    In_Search_Of_Me Posts: 10,634 Forumite
    Options
    PP you could def use nettles! Let us know when you do! Maybe we should get a photo link of pepys foraging the country?!!
    MrsMcC were the bagels like bagels? Mine were a bit light but suspect that was the extra egg. Will def give that recipe a try as eggs quite expensive now arent they eh!
    Weezl hope youre ok - youve gone all quiet!! Have breifly popped out of my tired cave to say hi!! Definate early night for me as didnt get to sleep till one...must not drink coke at night a think it makes me hyper!
    Nerd no 109 Long haulers supporters DFW #1! Even in the darkest moments, love and hope are always possible.

• shaz_mum_of__2
    shaz_mum_of__2 Posts: 2,010 Forumite
    Options
    weezl74 wrote: »
    Hiya Mrs Macawber,
    they look lovely, and I just did the costings for plain ones (couldn't find prices online for the oniony bits), and they work out at a stunning 3.5p per bagel.:money:

Billy bargain or what! Thanks for sharing the recipe :T

Hi pablosmummy, glad the recipes have been going down well. The cinnamon toasts are amazing aren't they? And only a penny a slice, ;) so it's ok if BF eats half a loaf :rotfl:

Shaz I really like the liver recipe:D. Alas tarragon is a herb I haven't grown yet. D'you think thyme, sage or rosemary, or flat leaf parsley might go well instead?

you could use dried Mr t sells it if not i think thyme would be next best thing

Shaz
    Shaz
  • nopot2pin
    nopot2pin Posts: 5,721 Forumite
    Options
    weezl74 wrote: »
    Hiya Mrs Macawber,
    they look lovely, and I just did the costings for plain ones (couldn't find prices online for the oniony bits), and they work out at a stunning 3.5p per bagel.:money:

Billy bargain or what! Thanks for sharing the recipe :T

Hi pablosmummy, glad the recipes have been going down well. The cinnamon toasts are amazing aren't they? And only a penny a slice, ;) so it's ok if BF eats half a loaf :rotfl:

Shaz I really like the liver recipe:D. Alas tarragon is a herb I haven't grown yet. D'you think thyme, sage or rosemary, or flat leaf parsley might go well instead?

I have to say, I have made MrsMc bagels a number of times...they are lovely. I used just normal dried onions, and not the salad ones... as that is what I had in. The dried ones are cheaper than the salad ones though...
    I think I paid about 50p/75p for a bag of dried onions... 250g... and I use about 2 tablespoons per recipe.

Could someone direct me to the cinnamon toast recipe please... I cant find it :o
    Thanks
  • weezl74
    weezl74 Posts: 8,701 Forumite
    Options
    nopot2pin wrote: »
    I have to say, I have made MrsMc bagels a number of times...they are lovely. I used just normal dried onions, and not the salad ones... as that is what I had in. The dried ones are cheaper than the salad ones though...
    I think I paid about 50p/75p for a bag of dried onions... 250g... and I use about 2 tablespoons per recipe.

Could someone direct me to the cinnamon toast recipe please... I cant find it :o
    Thanks

Hiya nopot2pin,

post number 212 explains how I made the cinnamon bread, which when toasted and buttered is nomnomnom!;)

thanks for the tip on the dried onions, that works out very reasonable then, in asda whitworths dried onions are 14p a box at the mo!

:hello:Jonathan 'Fergie' Fergus William, born 05/03/09, 7lb 4.4oz:hello:
    :)Benjamin 'Kezzie' Kester Jacob, born 18/03/10, 7lb 5oz:)
    cash neutral gifts 2011, value of purchased gifts/actual paid/amount earnt to cover it £67/£3.60/£0
    january grocery challenge, feed 4 of us for £40
  • cheerfulness4
    cheerfulness4 Posts: 2,874 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Those boxed onions from Whitworths are fabulous in bread recipes, use them myself, but I'm gutted that I was swindled out of 1p... I paid 15p a box in Tescos. :p

As its raining and mum's coming for the day I think I'll make some of that cinnamon bread and some bagels. :D

Keep all the recipes and links going.. they are wonderful. Thank you everyone. ;)
  • MRSMCAWBER
    MRSMCAWBER Posts: 5,442 Forumite
    Options
    hi there In search of me

That is the first bagel recip i tried and i stuck with it... i think they are gorgeous.. I only use the onion crispies as I had them for an onion bread recipe and they have a stronger flavour -they are usually near the salad dressings if anyone wants any...

I found them to be just like "proper" bagels... with the bonus of them being nice even if you don't toast them -unlike the shop ones ;)
    I think i may have to make some cinnamon and sultana ones....that i keep threatening to do:p

Right todays mission is to make some spinach and bacon bread (using the spinach that is trying to bolt -even though it isn't that warm:rolleyes: )..so i have set more -but don't want the other to go to waste:D
    depending how it comes out i will post the recipe...
    have a great day everyone
    -6 -8 -3 -1.5 -2.5 -3 -1.5-3.5
  • mum_of_5
    mum_of_5 Posts: 8 Forumite
    Options
    I totally agree with you on this one. I have 5 kids and, since my husband left, now have to rely on benefits.
    My budget is tight, but I do recieve what used to be called milk tokens, they can also be used for fruit and veg.
    I can only get them for my 2 youngest children, so only get 2 amounting to £6 a week!!:confused:
    What about the rest of us? Surely it is in the governments best interest to keep us all healthy and save bomb through the NHS.
    As it often seems to be what happens in the USA finds it's way here, lets keep our fingers crossed.
  • purpleivy
    purpleivy Posts: 3,573 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Congratulations! Thread Of The Week!
    [SIZE=-1]"Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"[/SIZE]
    Trying not to waste food!:j
    ETA Philosophy is wondering whether a Bloody Mary counts as a Smoothie
  • purpleivy
    Options
    Aaaargh sheeps feet ,hearts cats !!!!

I have always been a bit "meat squeamish" the only offal i will eat is liver and then only if all trace of tubey bits are removed!!!

i do have a nice "posh recipe"for liver too

I did it for a college assesment when doing my City and Guilds might do for your inlaws weezl

Shaz

Pan fried liver in tarragon cream sauce

Ingredients

· 750g lambs liver
    · flour for dusting
    · Oil for frying
    · 6 sprigs tarragon
    · 300ml double cream
    · Seasoning

Method

1. Infuse the cream with tarragon by bringing the cream to the boil with4 sprigs of the tarragon turn off the heat and leave at least 30 minutes until straining ready for use
    2. Skin the liver remove any gristle and cut into thin slices diagonally
    3. Dust the slices with seasoned flour
    4. Fry the liver very quickly in a little hot oil for a few minutes remove to a warmed plate
    5. Deglaze the pan with the strained cream bring to the boil
    6. Reduce the cream slightly, season add the remaining tarragon (chopped finely)
    7. Serve the sauce over the cooked liver

Thanks for posting this recipe, I have liver in the freezer, cream in the fridge left from the weekend and dd (veggie) is out tonight!
    [SIZE=-1]"Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"[/SIZE]
  • purpleivy
    Options
    Hi Everyone

Our Weezl has got post of the week in the weekly email from Martin. Are we proud of her? Yes we are!!

Well done with such a thought provoking and inspiring thread!:money:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family