PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Old Style vs the USDA head-to-head challenge...

Options

Comments

• tylersbabe
    tylersbabe Posts: 309 Forumite
    Options
    Hi

:T Well done weezl and well earned on an insperational thread :T

From a lurker

Tylersbabe
    Mortgage Owed: Sept 14 - £107398.20
  • jenid
    jenid Posts: 180 Forumite
    Options
    Yes well done Weezl. And thanks for all the inspiration and advice.

Good luck, hope you get to the end of June!:beer:
  • fizzel81
    fizzel81 Posts: 1,623 Forumite
    Options
    Well done weezl. ive flicked through the thread (but lack of tiem with the boys means ive not read past first few pages)

goodluck till june x
    DFW nerd club number 039 :p 'Proud To Be Dealing With My Debts' :money: i will be debt free aug 2010

2008 live on 4k +cb £6,247.98/£6282.80 :T
    sealed pot 2670g
    2009 target £4k + cb £643.89:eek: /£6412.80
  • anniebeetham
    Options
    ceridwen wrote: »
    Hmmmm......dont think I can participate in this one - the vegetarian recipe section contains all of...........ONE!......recipe....

or have I missed something?
    Veggies - don't overlook the ones (p48 & 51) using vegetarian beans - as opposed to ??? Maybe I've missed something?
    More good ideas to go in my folder: most of them from OSers, though. I reckon we could write the recipe book between us.

Well done MRSMCAWBER - I should join you really!
    :hello::hello::hello::hello:
  • ifonlyitwaseasier
    Options
    Well done Weezl!!!!!!! :T:T:T:T:T:T:T:T:T:T:T:T:T
    Nonny mouse and Proud!!
    Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level then beat you with experience
    !!
    Debtfightingdivaextraordinaire!!!!
    Amor et metus. Lac? Sugar? Quisque massa vel duo? (stolen from a lovely forumite!)

• Grumpysally
    Grumpysally Posts: 791 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Probably already been mentioned but not had time to look through all postings, but what on earth is this? http://www.hillbillyhousewife.com/breakfasttea.htm
    Have they never heard of leaf tea in America?
  • Grumpysally
    Grumpysally Posts: 791 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    ceridwen wrote: »
    Hmmmm......dont think I can participate in this one - the vegetarian recipe section contains all of...........ONE!......recipe....

or have I missed something?

You mean you don't want to live on cheese backed potatoes?:o
  • jan2januk
    jan2januk Posts: 23 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Hi Weezl

Just found your thread and wanted to say it's amazing! I'm totally in awe of what you are doing - you even make it sound fun!
    I'm going to read right through the thread, as there are obviously some good recipes and tips on here (think the thread title put me off - should have called it "How to survive for 3 months on £120" and I would have gone straight to it)

Anyway, don't know if you have heard of Shirley Goode? She wrote several cookbooks and appeared on TV in the 1980s, showing how to shop and cook the OS way. She has a blog which she writes daily and is still a really enthusiastic OSer. I mentioned your thread to her, so in return I'm mentioning her to you. http://shirleygoode.blogspot.com/

Good luck for your last month on the challenge.
    Jan
  • MRSMCAWBER
    MRSMCAWBER Posts: 5,442 Forumite
    Options
    Afternoon all

Just made the spinach and bacon bread i have been threatening to make for a while :D ...so thought I'd share the recipe...i will post the original recipe and add what i changed as i only made 1 just incase we weren't keen.... i'm sure someone will be swapping the spinach for nettles ;)

Spinach and bacon bread
    Makes 2 loaves
    grease 2 9" cake tins
    pre-heat oven to 200c
    1. 450ml warm water
    2. 2tsp dried yeast i used 8g fresh for 1 loaf
    3. pinch of sugar
    4. 1 onion -finely chopped
    5. 115g rindless smoked bacon -chopped I used those raw bacon bits/lardons you can get ;)
    6. 225g spinach -thawed if frozen
    7. 675g bread flour
    8. 1.5tsp salt
    9. 1.5tsp grated nutmeg
    10. 25g grated cheddar -i used fresh parmesan
    • put water, yeast and sugar in a bowl -mix and leave for 10 mins
    • drop the bacon into a hot frying pan and add the onion, cook for 10 mins until golden brown
    • if using frozen spinach-drain and squeeze out as much liquid as possible
    • if fresh..wilt in a dry pan then chop and squeeze out
    • sift flour, salt and nutmeg into a bowl and make a well in the centre
    • add yeast mix and add bacon/onion and spinach and mix well to form a soft dough -you may need a little more flour depending on the spinach
    • place in the bowl and cover and leave to double in size
    • tip out and cut in half..knead briefly then shape into balls and press into the tins, mark each into 8 wedges and sprinkle over the cheeses (i threw mine into the mix)
    • cover loosely with a plastic bag and leave to prove
    • bake for 25-30 mins until golden..should sound hollow if you knock on the bottom -cool
    Im thrilled that the spinach outside that was bolting hasn't gone to waste ...not sure how clear the pic is... but the piece that was cut has somehow vanished :whistle: I think it would be lovely with a nice bowl of HM tomato soup mm
    hope its of use to someone :D

pict0156bc3.th.jpg
    -6 -8 -3 -1.5 -2.5 -3 -1.5-3.5
  • In_Search_Of_Me
    In_Search_Of_Me Posts: 10,634 Forumite
    Options
    we're not worthy weezl!! Great re the thread of the week! :) See not just us mere minions who think youre fab!! (if a little doolally in THE nicest possible way!!)
    Mrs M thanks for the new recipes - suspect the veggies could substitute the bacon for fake "soya" bacon - worth a try? Will def try the bagels - mum coing to stay for w/e so will try them as a treat!
    Weezl have you managed to suss meal for Mr Weezl's parents or do you still need recipes? As you now know I have lots of books & happy to have a peek for you...just let me know!
    Nerd no 109 Long haulers supporters DFW #1! Even in the darkest moments, love and hope are always possible.

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure