PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Old Style vs the USDA head-to-head challenge...

Options

Comments

• ceridwen
    ceridwen Posts: 11,547 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    pebbles88 wrote: »
    i think i must be lost, why is everyone talking about knotweed???

Because its an edible weed.;)

There's a plentiful supply of it - as I gather it goes wild and overruns everything at a rate of knots - think Day of the Triffids. On that note - it is possible to watch the film on line for free:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-5534209725612326856

So - it is a bit of "get your own back on it - and eat it" - as long as one bears in mind the need to make certain sure not to bring any soil away with you (in case it's got some more of the darn stuff in it waiting to germinate) and put the bit you want for food in a sealed container. We dont want to encourage it to spread any further - just pick some of the food bits of whats there anyway.
  • ceridwen
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Wonder what delectable ideas C will come up with next lol!!

Well - I might think of a few....I'm off for a browse of a blog I found on indoor gardening (as in for food):

http://indoorgardener.blogspot.com/

Who knows what that might inspire?

It's okay - one doesnt have to be multilingual to read it - it is in English (despite being a Swedish blog). Oooh....I do do a lot of travelling in the (virtual) world;) .
  • In_Search_Of_Me
    In_Search_Of_Me Posts: 10,634 Forumite
    Options
    Wow what an organised woman she is (definately one Weezle could relate to me thinks!!). My problem "starting off" at home is that little people with whiskers tend to get a little too interested in plants & start to munch them before they're ready!!
    Re knotweed worry not we have already been given strict instructions as to making sure not to spread it because it really is one of the worst weeds to get rid of from what I can gather...little snips from the top, no mud & making sure no bits on shoes...
    Nerd no 109 Long haulers supporters DFW #1! Even in the darkest moments, love and hope are always possible.

• In_Search_Of_Me
    Options
    Can I suggest the make it & see what they think then tell em school of feeding?!! My mum did it it us for years although having said that it did make me suspicious of food for years & my BB could alway tell phesant even when she tried to disguise it!! Ham quiche is yummy & not at all weird!! Thik I can tell their reaction to nettles!!:D
    BigMummaF wrote: »
    I do enjoy this thread, but tonight I suggested making a ham quiche & the offspring turned their noses up:o

Can't imagine the response if I tried 'em on knotweed & nettle nibblets:eek:
    Nerd no 109 Long haulers supporters DFW #1! Even in the darkest moments, love and hope are always possible.

• ceridwen
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Well I've just had a bit more of a look at that indoor gardening blog - and I thought so too ISOM - a woman after weezl's own heart. I've been in "visiting" and told her she can "blame" me if a lot of British people suddenly come "visiting". I rather like her style.

Back for a longer look.

(note to self: can't begin to think why weezl has this mental picture of me as a spider sitting there spinning her web! LOL. Just making the connections.

connect.....link......connnect.....link.....connect...link...............)
  • In_Search_Of_Me
    Options
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z656J_CYbNc

Found this on MSA and thought you'd like it!! On that note am off to get me some new clothes! Have a good day all!

• ceridwen
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    tut.....tut....tut.......:cool: Now ISOM....what have you been up to for the last few hours? (I hope I'm not going to regret asking this...:rolleyes: ).

Got any of that there weed then? Note - I mean weed (Not "weed"!). Crikey...am I ever wandering just what ISOM gets up to in her spare time all round;) :D
  • mummysaver
    mummysaver Posts: 3,119 Forumite
    Options
    BigMummaF wrote: »
    I do enjoy this thread, but tonight I suggested making a ham quiche & the offspring turned their noses up:o

Can't imagine the response if I tried 'em on knotweed & nettle nibblets:eek:

Don't tell them, and if they ask say it's spinach ;) A line I always use is "oh you've had this before and really enjoyed it, don't you remember?" :D But then I am pretty sneaky!
    GC Oct £387.69/£400, GC Nov £312.58/£400, GC Dec £111.87/£400
  • shaz_mum_of__2
    shaz_mum_of__2 Posts: 2,010 Forumite
    Options
    oo looks interesting shaz - is it very appley? As for the knotweed forraging am going to get a mac, dark glasses & a trilby and go in disguise!! MInd you that beats diving in M&S food skip doesent it eh!! Wonder what delectable ideas C will come up with next lol!!
    Edited at 10.05...I have a challenge weezl. I have had an unusual amount of migraines recently (about 4 a month on a good month - used t be one every few months) and am wondering if it could be linked to cutting down on sugar? Any research to evidence that and if so what can I do to counterbalance the impact!! Go weeze!! (or anyone else who wants to assist!)

Hi ISOM

it wasn't particularly appley but it was very "savoury" next time i wont bother and the can of cider cost me a quid !! nearly as much as everything else

As to migraines mine are hormone related i think i usually get one post monthly P but not every month

Do you have cravings before or after for sugary things??

Some people believe that trigger foods are actually a symptom of the migraine

example if migraines are triggered by cheese you crave cheese because the migraine has began already.................... iyswim

I always crave chinese chicken curry after an attack even when i've spent 6 hours throwing up??

Shaz
    Shaz
  • shaz_mum_of__2
    shaz_mum_of__2 Posts: 2,010 Forumite
    Options
    Firstly i wanted to show that i do make mistakes,i ever so slightly burned the apple and blueberry pie i have made for tonights dessert(got rellies coming)

:-(

spring049.jpg

Any how recipe challenge
    i sauteed an onion, a courgette ,a leek,half a pack of mushrooms,garlic puree and a red pepper in a pan

spring039.jpg

when soft i added a carton of passata, a tablespoon of italian herbs,about a pint of water and a pack of tomato and red pepper soup i found at the back of my stockpile

spring042.jpg

i simmered for about 20 mins

spring045.jpg

meanwhile i cooked a 500g pack of penne,once the pasta was cooked i stirred in the sauce

spring047.jpg

it was delish ...................and theres a portion left for lunch tomorrow

Thanks for the inspiration

Shaz

Ps weezl the other pan has red onion chutney in i added a little more sugar after i tasted it and i didn't evapourate all the liquid as you said but it looks great don't know if i can wait 3 months to try it if it s good it will go in the hampers i am planning i made my first cold pressed soap yesterday too not sure i have done it right its still very soft???? this is destined for giftbaskets too as is your pate recipe
    Shaz
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport