PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Old Style vs the USDA head-to-head challenge...

Options

Comments

• ceridwen
    ceridwen Posts: 11,547 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hmmmm....did I miss summat? Have we got that recipe from you - for the peanut butter that is? pur...lease if we havent.;)
  • shaz_mum_of__2
    shaz_mum_of__2 Posts: 2,010 Forumite
    Options
    Hi Shaz
    You have the ingredients for a dish I regularly make - bean stew.
    Soak some beans overnight in plenty of water. Next day boil hard for ten mins then cook for as long as shown on the packet. I always cook the whole pack in one and freeze the extra portion.

Fry onion and celery, add carrot and garlic if you have it. Add a tin of tomatoes if you have some and some herbs (mixed or whatever you fancy) add some water or stock to cover veg. Add some rinsed red lentils as these don't need soaking. Then add your beans and cook for half hour or so. I add pasta and cook for as long as needed (I often break up spag into short pieces.) Near the end of the cooking add some spinach. You can add all sorts of things to this - think minestrone. Put some tom puree in if you have it.

This is the recipe i have decided on (kind of ) i will serve with pasta rather than as a minestrone and will post piccies and proper recipe later

thanks for all suggestions

Anyone else got a challenge to set?

Shaz
    Shaz
  • ceridwen
    ceridwen Posts: 11,547 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hmmm...well you know how I like my YouTube clips...I wondered..and wandered (onto YouTube) and found:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=FSyijNogeq0

The "germ" of an idea was there brewing away in my mind...and that just gave it a little prompt. With another "head" on...ie the "If I'd had a different temperament I coulda been a businesswoman head" - two birds, one stone. Help people eradicate their problem and sell on the food bit as food!? Idea - maybe? conceivably?
  • In_Search_Of_Me
    In_Search_Of_Me Posts: 10,634 Forumite
    Options
    oo do post piccies shaz!! No challenge from me yet but dont worry I will set one!
    Re the knotweed we have to go before 12 so even I should be ok - its just cos hes there & can show us and out of respect (& knowing he secretly likes chatting to me - even more so my mum who he flirted outrageously with!!) we need to say hi in exchange for the weeds!! As C's video demonstrates we have got to be VERY careful with it & likewise when you get i home - apparently it really is a rampant nightmare when it takes hold & you really dot want it in your garden, even if you do want to eat it! Plus no need as hear its taken over the whole plot! (bit like weeds on mine :(!
    Hope you have fun with your friend & that she graciously receives whatever she is served! When are Mr Weezles M&D coming?
    Nerd no 109 Long haulers supporters DFW #1! Even in the darkest moments, love and hope are always possible.

• weezl74
    weezl74 Posts: 8,701 Forumite
    Options
    fussy eater friend liked her lunch, and has gone to buy wine to go with our curries for tonight. One of them is nettle-based, so wish me luck with offering her this!:eek:

The other things are fine: rice, homemade naan, aubergine curry...

And another pal is bringing chicken drumsticks for me to marinade in spices (chilli houmous will form the basis of this)

In laws are here next weekend.....

Love to you all, and many thanks ceridwen for useful knotweed links!!!:A

:hello:Jonathan 'Fergie' Fergus William, born 05/03/09, 7lb 4.4oz:hello:
    :)Benjamin 'Kezzie' Kester Jacob, born 18/03/10, 7lb 5oz:)
    cash neutral gifts 2011, value of purchased gifts/actual paid/amount earnt to cover it £67/£3.60/£0
    january grocery challenge, feed 4 of us for £40
  • In_Search_Of_Me
    Options
    oo is that my curry you is munching?! Are you going to tell her its nettles! I would...unfair not too (if a wee bit gleeful!). Love the Merthr link C!! People give it alot of stick but the houses were cheap (no more alas!!) and the views stunning!!
    Re inlaws do you want us to look out a recipe? If so what are ingredients!! Go on you know how we like a challenge!!
    Nerd no 109 Long haulers supporters DFW #1! Even in the darkest moments, love and hope are always possible.

• shaz_mum_of__2
    shaz_mum_of__2 Posts: 2,010 Forumite
    Options
    heres the cider and lentil loaf from yesterday

I did double the recipe and this is half so about 4 portions per recipe

spring036.jpg

it was yummy and have ideas for different flavours

beer and mustard
    curry
    tomato and herb

have done pics of the past will post tomorrow

Shaz

ps happy foraging for the knotweed girls!!!
    Shaz
  • In_Search_Of_Me
    Options
    oo looks interesting shaz - is it very appley? As for the knotweed forraging am going to get a mac, dark glasses & a trilby and go in disguise!! MInd you that beats diving in M&S food skip doesent it eh!! Wonder what delectable ideas C will come up with next lol!!
    Edited at 10.05...I have a challenge weezl. I have had an unusual amount of migraines recently (about 4 a month on a good month - used t be one every few months) and am wondering if it could be linked to cutting down on sugar? Any research to evidence that and if so what can I do to counterbalance the impact!! Go weeze!! (or anyone else who wants to assist!)

• pebbles88
    pebbles88 Posts: 1,464 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    i think i must be lost, why is everyone talking about knotweed???
    Please be nice to all moneysavers!
    Dance like nobody's watching; love like you've never been hurt. Sing like nobody's listening; live like it's heaven on earth."
    Big big thanks to Niddy, sorely missed from these boards..best cybersupport ever!!
  • BigMummaF
    BigMummaF Posts: 4,281 Forumite
    Options
    I do enjoy this thread, but tonight I suggested making a ham quiche & the offspring turned their noses up:o

Can't imagine the response if I tried 'em on knotweed & nettle nibblets:eek:
    Full time Carer for Mum; harassed mother of three;
    loving & loved by two 4-legged babies.

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family