PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Old Style vs the USDA head-to-head challenge...

Options

Comments

• ceridwen
    ceridwen Posts: 11,547 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hi - Nope - no recipe box. I've currently got the recipes I have copied in an Old Style folder - along with the other bits I have wanted to keep from this Board.

Not a lotta recipes make it into that folder consequently - just the most promising! Well - you wouldnt believe JUST how many cookery books I have - one chuckout later and it's still over 50 for sure:D .

Full info on the nuts? Err....well ..could be useful to know how many calories are in them;) - but that was part of the attraction - as I can be quite partial to nuts in recipes.
  • weezl74
    weezl74 Posts: 8,701 Forumite
    Options
    4 bean salad makes 8 portions

Half a bag SmartPrice frozen sweetcorn 453g
    Half a bag asda frozen broad beans 375g
    Chick peas 100g dried weight
    Black eyed beans 500g dried weight

soak beans and chick peas overnight then boil for 10 mins and finish cooking time in slo-cooker. Drain, and stir through broad beans and sweetcorn. The frozen veg will cool the beans, and the beans defrost the veg. Dress with 100g oil, 20g vinegar, salt and pepper and 2 tspns garlic powder. Mix thoroughly, taste and adjust seasoning.

Nutritional profile of weezl's 4 bean salad from the vegetarian 3 month meal planner:

432 calories per portion,

percentages are of your Daily requirement (RNI)

Calcium (mg) 13.16%
    Iron (mg) 44.61%
    Magnesium (mg) 49.90%
    Phosphorus (mg) 52.48%
    Potassium (mg) 26.50%
    Sodium (mg) 3.29%
    Zinc (mg) 42.00%
    Copper (mg) 57.67%
    Manganese (mg) 32.70%
    Selenium (mcg) 7.75%
    Vitamin C (mg) 7.35%
    Thiamin (mg) 57.18%
    Riboflavin (mg) 20.64%
    Niacin (mg) 17.02%
    Pantothenic acid (mg) 22.96%
    Vitamin B6 (mg) 29.92%
    Folate (mcg) 117.58%
    Folic acid (mcg) 0.00%
    Vitamin B12 (mcg) 0.00%
    Vitamin A_IU (IU) 2.17%
    Vitamin A_RAE 0.12%
    Vitamin E (mg) 30.38%
    Vitamin K (mcg) 132.69%

will post costings in a minute:o

edit: here they are

Half a bag SP frozen sweetcorn 453g 32p
    Half a bag frozen broad beans 375g 37p
    Chick peas 100g dried weight 12p
    Black eyed beans 500g dried weight 38p
    Oil 10p
    Salt pepper and garlic 5p

Total 1.34 just under 17p per portion

:rotfl:oh weezl, you need to get a life, girl!:rotfl:

:hello:Jonathan 'Fergie' Fergus William, born 05/03/09, 7lb 4.4oz:hello:
    :)Benjamin 'Kezzie' Kester Jacob, born 18/03/10, 7lb 5oz:)
    cash neutral gifts 2011, value of purchased gifts/actual paid/amount earnt to cover it £67/£3.60/£0
    january grocery challenge, feed 4 of us for £40
  • weezl74
    Options
    Weezl- which page is the vegetarian meal planner and shopping list on?
    i hope everyone is well and enjoying the sun. i planted some pepper seeds yesterday, so now i just have to wait and see if they grow. i might have a go at growing mushrooms in my airing cupboard, so if anyone has any advice please send it this way.

hiya fallen angel shelley, click here for that post, hope it helps.

Sorry I know nowt about mushrooms. But I could find out their nutritional profile if you like!!!;)

cash neutral gifts 2011, value of purchased gifts/actual paid/amount earnt to cover it £67/£3.60/£0
  • fallen_angel_shelley
    Options
    weezl74 wrote: »
    hiya fallen angel shelley, click here for that post, hope it helps.

Sorry I know nowt about mushrooms. But I could find out their nutritional profile if you like!!!;)
    Back on MSE again! to take control of my finances and not let it control me. :T May grocery challenge £41.96/140
  • shaz_mum_of__2
    shaz_mum_of__2 Posts: 2,010 Forumite
    Options
    Hi weezl

Is the nutrition info different if you use canned beans if not mr s has beans on 5 for a £1

I made a bean salad from kidney,black eye,cut green beans ,sweetcorn about a kilo altogether i dressed it with lime and coriander dressing(sharwoods from home bargains 29p) aand a finely diced red onion and some fresh coriander i grew

yum yum

I sometimes make a salad using bulghar wheat using crunch veg(cucumber celery carrot pepper onion and chick peas and sweetcorn)

In fact i think thats todays lunch sorted

Thanks again for all the effort weezl

ps slightly of topic _ i have been collecting recipes forever and what to put together a family cookbook to pass on to my kids when they leave home i dont just want to print off and put in a folder i want to make it like a proper book can anyone recommend how or a free software program i could download ??
    Shaz
  • meanmarie
    meanmarie Posts: 5,328 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Weezl...you are a champion, must read this thread every day, even though very little veggie meals happen in this house...OH must have his meat at least once a day, I even struggle with getting him to eat fish often...I like the tinned ones in Lidl as they are good value and very tasty.

Going to have that four bean salad this evening, even if it means OH having a baked potato instead...I love beans of all kinds as does DD4.

Thanks again for the work you are putting into this thread and the wonderful nutritional information you give for those of us ( well me, really!) too lazy to research these things ourselves.

Marie
    Weight 08 February 86kg
  • weezl74
    Options
    Hiya Marie, :D

I'd love to know your feedback on the recipe, especially the oil/vinegar/garlic dressing, let me know if it passes the taste test and whether you made any flavour tweaks after tasting it?

And thanks for the compliments too! :o

• meanmarie
    meanmarie Posts: 5,328 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Weezl...is it enough to say that there is none left for dinner?? OH and DD4 have had a couple of helpings each, and of course I had to try it first to check the seasoning.

Must confess to making the salad as follows as I hadn't all ingredients stipulated:
    Frozen peas and sweetcorn...didn't weigh them either, but looked ok amounts; butter and pinto beans, 3 finely chopped cloves garlic, finely sliced small red onion, oil and balsamic vinegar, salt and pepper. We all loved it and will make it as per recipe when I get what I need...was to be served with barbecued chicken breast which will now have a baked spud and green salad instead.

Keep them coming

Marie
    Weight 08 February 86kg
  • weezl74
    Options
    Hi Marie, I like the addition of the onion! :TIf you don't mind, I'll add that in to the recipe, and the three month meal planner.:D

Glad it went down well. I'm thinking of stirring it through cold cooked rice as a cheap healthy main meal for warmer weather, like now! Are you having a heatwave in Ireland?

Weezl x

• weezl74
    Options
    tomato dahl and rice, full nutritional breakdown

recipe

500g dry weight red lentils
    300g chopped onion approx 3 medium onions
    2x 400g tins tomatoes
    75g veg oil
    2 heaped tspns garlic, garam masala, salt and pepper to taste

Fry onion in oil and add spices. When turning golden, stir in lentils and tomatoes, chopped up and their juice, so oil coats the grains, then add a pint at a time of liquid, waiting til it looks absorbed. (orangy brown and gloopy)

Add enough water to make a consistency like thick soup, and all the lentils fully disolved. A taste teste will show you, if it's still 'powdery' add more liquid and keep boiling!:D

serve with 125g dry weight rice each

Taste and adjust seasoning as desired. 15 pence per serving, 802 calories for entire meal.

a very generous sized dinner with the following percentage of your daily needs:

sodium is in red, because the percentage is what you shouldn't exceed, not what you should aim for!

Calcium (mg)
    14.70%
    Iron (mg)
    50.69%
    Magnesium (mg)
    33.33%
    Phosphorus (mg)
    52.80%
    Potassium (mg)
    24.34%
    Sodium (mg)
    8.98%
    Zinc (mg)
    59.00%
    Copper (mg)
    107.25%
    Manganese (mg)
    61.95%
    Selenium (mcg)
    25.29%
    Vitamin C (mg)
    28.14%
    Thiamin (mg)
    45.36%
    Riboflavin (mg)
    17.18%
    Niacin (mg)
    29.91%
    Pantothenic acid (mg)
    36.18%
    Vitamin B6 (mg)
    50.92%
    Folate (mcg)
    39.41%
    Vitamin A_IU (IU)
    37.17%
    Vitamin A_RAE
    1.86%
    Vitamin E alpha-tocopherol (mg)
    27.36%
    Vitamin K ( phylloquinone) (mcg)
    1.83%

It's ok folks, I'll get my reward, I've heard that 'the geek shall inherit the earth', or sommat like that.;)

Love Weezl x

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport