PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Old Style vs the USDA head-to-head challenge...

Options

Comments

• In_Search_Of_Me
    In_Search_Of_Me Posts: 10,634 Forumite
    Options
    Spicy Coconut & peanut soup

1 tablesp peanut oil
    1 finely chopped onion
    4 crushed garlic cloves
    1 ½ tablespoon grated fresh root ginger
    1 teaspoon ground turmeric & coriander
    1tsp curry paste
    250g/9oz potato – peeled & chopped
    750ml/1 ¼ pint chicken stock
    250ml/8fl oz coconut milk
    ½ Chinese cabbage, finely shredded
    3 tablespoon crunchy peanut butter
    Juice of 1 lime
    2 tablesp soy sauce
    1 tsp brown sugar
    Spring onions

Heat oil in large pan add onion, garlic, ginger & saute for 1 min. Add turmeric, coriander, curry paste & potato & coo 1-2 mins. Add stock & coconut milk & simmer 10-12 mins until potato is tender. Add cabbage & return to boil.
    Reduce to a simmer & cook for 2 mins only. Remove from heat. Stir a bit of soup into peanut butter with soy sauce, lime juice & sugar. Add the mixture to the soup and season to taste.

Taken from “Ultimate Soups for healthy living”; Jenny Stacey)
    Nerd no 109 Long haulers supporters DFW #1! Even in the darkest moments, love and hope are always possible.

• In_Search_Of_Me
    Options
    ok re nuts...foud the answer in simple terms in "Eat well, stay well" which says "almonds, walnuts and pecan supply good amounts of fibre and minerals. Almonds aso supply pleanty of vitamin E while walnuts have Omega 3 fatty acids which lower triglycerides. Peanute, which are legumes, provide more protein than any other but. They also supply good amounts of fibre, vitamin E & B vitamins" There then follows a full nutritional breakdown of almonds, walnuts, pecans & peanuts to include nutrients, cals etc...if its useful am happy to type it out but if you dont want it thats also fine! Would you like me to advise?!!

sorry me again (I'll shut up after this...promise...well for a bit anyway!!) just wanted to remind people about the rules re NOMINATING (not voting) for people on the monthly thread...some of you lovely people have posted but I am a bit worried that because the rules have not been adhered to (ie people saying they are voting, not putting a linky in & why they are nominating - to linky higlight the address then go to the thread, click on message box then right click & copy & up she pops!) that your lovely nominations may not be counted & would sugges that pepys go back to check the thread!! Just wanted to say that...sorry (creeps away to go for a lie down!) Hugs all! Even if Weezl doesent win I think she's a star!!
    Nerd no 109 Long haulers supporters DFW #1! Even in the darkest moments, love and hope are always possible.

• shaz_mum_of__2
    shaz_mum_of__2 Posts: 2,010 Forumite
    Options
    isom love the peanut soup recipe will try that one

Shazx
    Shaz
  • In_Search_Of_Me
    Options
    Great shaz! Enjoy! Sun is shining so off to allotment I go! Have a good day all! I'll pop in tonight to see how you all are!

• weezl74
    weezl74 Posts: 8,701 Forumite
    Options
    Hi all, :hello:

back with another healthy, frugal recipe, to complement the vegetarian meal planner and shopping list I posted earlier.;)

Caramelised onion and tomato tart with walnutty pastry
    For the pastry

75g walnuts
    150g plain flour
    120g butter, chilled, diced
    1 tsp sugar
    salt and pepper

1. Put all the ingredients in a food processor and process until it’s fine crumbs.

2. Press the mixture around the base and sides of a flan dish, approximately 23cm diameter. Chill the dish for an hour or so, to give the pastry a chance to firm up. Preheat the oven to 180c/gas 4.

3. Bake the flan for about 20-25 minutes, until the pastry is golden. If the pastry looks as if it's slipping down the sides of the flan dish as it cooks, press it back up with the back of a metal spoon. Remove the flan from the oven, but don't turn the oven off.

For the caramelised onions

35g butter
    1 tbsp olive oil
    2 large onions, cut into thin wedges
    2 tsp sugar

For the tomatoes

10g butter
    2 tbsp oil
    1 tsp sugar
    2 tspns garlic powder
    3 tins plum tomatoes , halved lengthways (set the juice to one side)
    Thyme or rosemary if you have them

Heat the butter and oil in a frying pan until the butter has melted. Cook the onion over a medium heat for about 10 minutes until golden, stirring often. Stir in the sugar and cook for another couple of minutes. Tip the onion and juices into a bowl and set aside.

For the tomatoes, heat the butter and oil tomatoes, sugar, herbs, garlic in a roasting dish in the oven until reduced and intensified, around 45 mins. Remove, and when cooled, spoon into flan case(s), and then layer onions on top. Season with salt and pepper.

Scatter with extra thyme and black pepper. Serve into 6-8 portions, freeze the rest.

Walnuts 35p
    Butter 58p
    Toms 57p
    Onions 8p
    Oil 10p
    Flour 4p
    Sugar spices herbs 6p
    22p per serving if you get 8 servings, slightly more if you go for 6 servings!

ISOM hope your allotment day was fruitful.I've been recovering from a 2 day work conference and have felt exhausted!

Take care,

Love weezl x

:hello:Jonathan 'Fergie' Fergus William, born 05/03/09, 7lb 4.4oz:hello:
    :)Benjamin 'Kezzie' Kester Jacob, born 18/03/10, 7lb 5oz:)
    cash neutral gifts 2011, value of purchased gifts/actual paid/amount earnt to cover it £67/£3.60/£0
    january grocery challenge, feed 4 of us for £40
  • BigMummaF
    BigMummaF Posts: 4,281 Forumite
    Options
    I was having a ma-hoosiff bake-fest yesterday, & suddenly thought "JUNKET"! Lord knows why:D

But me muvva used to make it for dad....:rolleyes: bit like blamounge I think....anyways, maybe a cheapie but calorific pud for MrW. You can get vegetarian rennet too for those with concerns re: animal welfare etc.
    Full time Carer for Mum; harassed mother of three;
    loving & loved by two 4-legged babies.

• weezl74
    weezl74 Posts: 8,701 Forumite
    Options
    ....and do you have a fave recipe for it, perhaps from t' muvva?!;)

:hello:Jonathan 'Fergie' Fergus William, born 05/03/09, 7lb 4.4oz:hello:
    :)Benjamin 'Kezzie' Kester Jacob, born 18/03/10, 7lb 5oz:)
    cash neutral gifts 2011, value of purchased gifts/actual paid/amount earnt to cover it £67/£3.60/£0
    january grocery challenge, feed 4 of us for £40
  • fallen_angel_shelley
    Options
    Weezl- which page is the vegetarian meal planner and shopping list on?
    i hope everyone is well and enjoying the sun. i planted some pepper seeds yesterday, so now i just have to wait and see if they grow. i might have a go at growing mushrooms in my airing cupboard, so if anyone has any advice please send it this way.
    Back on MSE again! to take control of my finances and not let it control me. :T May grocery challenge £41.96/140
  • ceridwen
    ceridwen Posts: 11,547 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Thanks weezl - reckon that the onion and tomato tart is another one for the "ceridwen extracts from weezl's thread" stuff I am collecting. Think I will try it myself minus the sugar - but reckon it should still be good.
  • In_Search_Of_Me
    Options
    :hello: evening all. Good to have you back Weezl! I assumed you would be shattered! Confrences always make me sleepy...all that concentrating & not being able to talk!! Allotment was ok but soooo hot so didnt last long - should have left it until later in the afternoon as diggging & midday sun are never a good idea! Let me know when you want to go "picking". Could always go an eve as so light until late...on a bottle hunt!
    Ceridwen do you have a recipe box? My "tried & tested" box is getting quite full!
    Let me know if you want the full info on the nuts! Am happy to oblige but wont be until tom as off to book group this eve...on which note will now try some cinnamon bread with Philadelphia cheese!!

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure