PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Old Style vs the USDA head-to-head challenge...

Options

Comments

• In_Search_Of_Me
    In_Search_Of_Me Posts: 10,634 Forumite
    Options
    Thought you may like this pepys...free food (almost!!)

BBC food - elderflower cordial recipe

Ingredients
    30 elderflower heads
    6 pints (approx. 3 litres) of boiling water
    2lb (900g) caster sugar
    1 packet of citric acid (available from chemists)
    2 unwaxed oranges
    3 unwaxed lemons

Method
    1. Gently rinse over the elderflowers to remove any dirt or little creatures.
    2. Pour the boiling water over the sugar in a very large mixing bowl. Stir well and leave to cool.
    3. Add the citric acid, the oranges and lemons sliced, and then the flowers.
    4. Leave in a cool place for 24 hours, stirring occasionally.
    5. Strain through some muslin and bottle.

show_arrow.gif Show me more Lotte Duncan recipes

Have a good day all! Will catch up later!
    Nerd no 109 Long haulers supporters DFW #1! Even in the darkest moments, love and hope are always possible.

• shaz_mum_of__2
    shaz_mum_of__2 Posts: 2,010 Forumite
    Options
    How do you bookmark a thread? There are so many wonderful receipies I want to try and I keep forgetting to copy/paste into the word doc I set up.
    Thanks

At the top of thread(not page )is a thread tools button click on there and select an option i do a daily e mail then it sends you a daily newsltter of all posts that day

Hope that makes sense

Shaz
    Shaz
  • shaz_mum_of__2
    Options
    Thought you may like this pepys...free food (almost!!)

BBC food - elderflower cordial recipe

Ingredients
    30 elderflower heads
    6 pints (approx. 3 litres) of boiling water
    2lb (900g) caster sugar
    1 packet of citric acid (available from chemists)
    2 unwaxed oranges
    3 unwaxed lemons

Method
    1. Gently rinse over the elderflowers to remove any dirt or little creatures.
    2. Pour the boiling water over the sugar in a very large mixing bowl. Stir well and leave to cool.
    3. Add the citric acid, the oranges and lemons sliced, and then the flowers.
    4. Leave in a cool place for 24 hours, stirring occasionally.
    5. Strain through some muslin and bottle.

show_arrow.gif Show me more Lotte Duncan recipes

Have a good day all! Will catch up later!

Love the recipe

Watch out when you try to buy citric acid at chemists though drug addicts use it for something so they usually give you the once over in the shop

You can also buy in homebrew shops as well and it can also be used as a descaler about half a pack in your kettle and no chemical aftertaste

Shaz
    Shaz
  • shaz_mum_of__2
    Options
    Shaz
  • debbym
    debbym Posts: 460 Forumite
    Options
    weezl74 wrote: »
    Well, since you've offered...;)

I've been wondering about some sort of healthy nut or seed butter as a morning toast topper for the 3 month veggie meal planner option I'm composing. Different nuts seem to pack a different punch, one is good for zinc, another high in magnesium....

So does the nutrition bible offer either a nut/seed combo which is a good all rounder, or is there one nut/seed which emerges as a super-food, a winner on lots of vitamin and mineral levels?:confused:

Anyone feel free to post ideas on that, but ISOM, you may have the answer in your book....:D

Ta muchly,

Weezl x

Not sure about which combos are best but here is a basic recipe courtesy of Leslie Kenton

Basic Seed and Nut Cheese
    1 cup nuts
    1 cup seeds
    3/4 - 1 cup water
    1 teaspoon vegetable bouillon powder
    Blend everything together in a food processor to form a firm paste. Leave to ferment covered by a teatowel for a couple of hours (I think this makes the protein partially digested and therefore moe digestable (sp?);) ). Refridgerate and use on crackers etc as a spread.

Can be flavoured with garlic, herbs, sage and onion using spring onions is the one in the book, maybe chilli or curry...
    Not tried it myself so good luck and let us know what combos you try:D
  • Justamum
    Justamum Posts: 4,727 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options

Thanks for that. I wanted to nominate this thread too but didn't know how to. I've added my nomination to the list.
  • THIRZAH
    THIRZAH Posts: 1,465 Forumite
    Options
    Wilkinsons usually sell citric acid but you have to ask for it at the customer services desk.

I use it to make lemon cordial-

3 unwaxed lemons -thinly peeled
    1lb sugar-granulated is fine
    1 oz citric acid
    1 pint boiling water

Put lemon peel and juice plus sugar and citric acid into large heat-proof jug.Add boiling water and stir until sugar is dissolved.

Cover and leave to cool.Strain and bottle.

Dilute to taste. This keeps for about ten days in the fridge. I sometimes freeze it .

It's nice in summer with ice but is also good if you have a cold.
  • shaz_mum_of__2
    Options
    Thirzah

Sounds good might have a go i assume you could make an orange version

Shaz
    Shaz
  • In_Search_Of_Me
    Options
    May be a good way of getting some vit c too? Reading the ONB (optimu nutritio bible) it says e should all have 1000g vit c suppliment a day...checked and I have some (good so not cocking up my no shop for a week) but chemist was expensive & sold for almost 6 for 60 so will have to investigate. They recc it to boost your immunity - for me an essential as I had 3 viruses since last Dec...here is a linseed recipe for you Weezl...the book has (as you can see!) 365 recipes for bread, pitts, you name it! Ask & I shall try & seek & find anything that tickles your fancy! Choc bread anyone!!! Apple scones...you name it they have it all (well almost!) so ask away & I'll do what I can!
    Linseed rolls

250g (9oz) strong plain white flour
    250g (9oz) strong plain brown flour
    ½ tsp salt
    2 tsp fast action dried yeast
    1 tblsp light soft brown sugar
    2 tblsp linseed plus extra to sprinkle
    Approx 300ml (1/2 pint) warm water

Grease or flour 2 baking sheets

Sift white flour & salt into bowl then stir in brow flour, yeast, sugar & linseeds. Make a well in the centre & add enough water to make a soft dough.
    Turn onto floured surface & knead until smooth & elastic. Divide into 12 portions and shape into an ova shape. Place on baking sheet & cover, in a warm place, until doubled in size.
    Preheat oven to 220oc/425f/gm7. Brush rolls with water and sprinkle linseeds just before placing the the oven for 15-20 mins, until risen & golden brown. Transfer to wire rack. Serve warm or cold.

(Taken from the “Big book of bread…365 recipes, Anne Sheasby)
    Nerd no 109 Long haulers supporters DFW #1! Even in the darkest moments, love and hope are always possible.

• In_Search_Of_Me
    Options
    brown bread ice cream for a change? think you'll have the ingredients but it does need greek yog with custard...

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure