PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Old Style vs the USDA head-to-head challenge...

Options

Comments

• weezl74
    weezl74 Posts: 8,701 Forumite
    Options
    Magpye wrote: »
    *pops into thread*

Weezl, how would you suggest I go about smuggling some fruit into my DH's diet, he has a psychological block when it comes to eating fruit, he says it makes him feel sick! :rolleyes: -silly man! I've tried smoothies but they are hugely expensive to buy and make.

*bookmarks thread for bran cake recipe*

Hello Magpye, Glad you popped in! I really agree with you that fresh fruit for smoothies is hugely expensive. Interestingly the research on your 5 a day suggests that it's more important to have a variety of colours present in your 5, at least when looked at over your week. This is much more important than trying to get both fruit and veg included. And don't forget as purpleivy's sig reminds us, that a tomato is a fruit ;).

I guess what I'm saying is that as long as he has a variety of colours of veg, and a bit of dried fruit in cakes? And possibly some fruit disguised in icecream (tinned blackcurrants stirred through some lightly whipped double cream for example) would definately give him all his important phytochemicals.

the essential colours to include are:
    red (Tomatoes, spaghetti sauce, tomato juice, tomato soup, red peppers, red onions, beetroot, red cabbage, kidney beans, apples, pink grapefruit, red grapes, strawberries, cherries, watermelon, raspberries, cranberries, pomegranates)

yellow or orange (Carrots, summer squash, corn, sweet potatoes, butternut squash,pumpkin, yellow peppers, cantaloupe,grapefruit, lemons, nectarines, oranges, peaches, pineapples, tangerines, apricots, mangoes, papayas)

white:(Cauliflower, mushrooms, white beans, onions, garlic, parsnips, shallots, turnips, ginger, bananas, pears)

green (Leafy greens, asparagus, green peppers, broccoli, green beans, peas, cabbage, green onion, Brussels sprouts, okra, courgette, green grapes, honeydew melon, kiwifruit, limes)

blue/purple (Aubergine, purple grapes, plums, raisins, blueberries, blackberries, purple figs, dried plums, black currants)

So our dinner contained red (toms) white (onion and garlic) Green (nettles) and blue purple (in plum chutney with plums and raisins). Mr weezl wants to count the ginger in ISOM's gingernuts too, but I'm not sure that's allowed!?

Hope that helps.

Shaz and ISOM, I'm touched by the nomination. Very kind!

Shelley :hello:I haven't done a long post with recipes, but I'm sure I can be persuaded ;)

What a wit, Hiya :Dthanks for that tip on the walnuts, I'm surprised mysupermarket didn't suggest it as a cost cutter, they usually do...

Sig now looking super scary, but still think we can make it. ISOM can you post your gingernut recipe please, they are lovely and I think we should all make them!

Let's harvest all the elderflowers on the A48 at dead of night like mad ladies of yore!!!

Much love to all,

Weezl x

:hello:Jonathan 'Fergie' Fergus William, born 05/03/09, 7lb 4.4oz:hello:
    :)Benjamin 'Kezzie' Kester Jacob, born 18/03/10, 7lb 5oz:)
    cash neutral gifts 2011, value of purchased gifts/actual paid/amount earnt to cover it £67/£3.60/£0
    january grocery challenge, feed 4 of us for £40
  • In_Search_Of_Me
    In_Search_Of_Me Posts: 10,634 Forumite
    Options
    Ok will type & post (always do in word case it gets lost!) & will also do the ginger squares which were yummy! I suspect Mr W is being a wee bit optimistic re the ginger in the biccies as you will see from the recipe....As for catching elderflowers in the dead of night! NO weezl - loud & proud!! Come on now - convert the world & be seen in daylight...plus there are quite a few deep ditches & nasty things crawl about at night!!
    Nerd no 109 Long haulers supporters DFW #1! Even in the darkest moments, love and hope are always possible.

• funkyfunkymonkey
    funkyfunkymonkey Posts: 2,727 Forumite
    Options
    weezl i have nominated this thread for post of the month

I think you deserve some recognition for your original idea and enthusiasm

Shaz

How do you do this?

FFM :)
    AMAZON SELLERS CLUB member 0077 come and join us :hello: make some space and get hold of some cash, we're on the ebay and other auctions, car boot and jumble sales board.
  • In_Search_Of_Me
    Options
    Ginger nuts – readers digest recipe

Makes 12 biscuits

85g (3oz) plain white flour
    85g (3oz ) plain wholemeal flour
    ½ tsp bicarb of soda
    2 tsp ground ginger
    ½ tsp ground cinnamon
    50g (1 ¾ oz) butter
    4 tbsp golden syrup

Preheat oven to 190o c/375f/GM5

Sift both flours, bicarb, ginger & cinnamon in bowl.

Melt butter & syrup in a pan and pour into dry mix & stir until well combined (hands is easier!) into a firm dough. Then either make into walnut shapes biscuits or roll out & cut with a shape. Place on baking sheet & cook for 8-10 mins until slightly risen & browned. Leave to cool 2-3 mins before moving to wire rack to cool fully. Enjoy!
    Nerd no 109 Long haulers supporters DFW #1! Even in the darkest moments, love and hope are always possible.

• In_Search_Of_Me
    Options
    While we're there this one is LUSH!! I'd never made merangue and its foolproof! Its a come dine wth me recipe & dead impressive for guests (they think youre amazing even though its easy!!) so here you go! Enjoy...I defy you not to!!

LEMON PAVLOVA WITH KIWI FRUIT – come dine with me recipe

Serves 6-8

Ingredients:
    4 egg whites
    8 oz / 225 g caster sugar
    1.5 teaspoons white vinegar
    1.5 teaspoons cornflour

Filling:
    ¾ of a can of condensed milk
    ½ pint double cream
    Juice of 3 large lemons
    3 large, just under-ripe kiwi fruit

Method
    Lay a sheet of silicon or baking parchment on a baking tray. Heat over to 325F, 160C or gas mark 3. Whisk the egg whites in a clean, dry bowl until they are stiff. Whisk in the sugar a spoonful at a time. Blend the vinegar with the cornflour and whisk it, with the last spoon of sugar, into the egg whites.

Spread the meringue out to roughly an 8” circle on the baking tray and build up the sides so that they are higher than the centre. Put the baking tray in the centre of the oven, turn the heat down to 300F, 150C or gas mark 2 and bake the meringue for 1 hour. Turn the oven off but leave the pavlova in the oven to become quite cold (otherwise it will split open as it cools).

Remove the pavlova from the baking tray and place on a serving dish. Place the condensed milk, cream and lemon juice in a basin and beat until blended and the mixture is thick and creamy, then pile into the centre of the pavlova. Place in the fridge and leave to stand for at least 1 hour before serving. Don’t leave overnight – this dessert is best made on the day you want to serve it.

Peel and slice the kiwi fruit and arrange attractively around the edge of the lemon pavlova just before serving.

Extracted from Fruit Fare by Mary Berry
    Published by Sphere Books Ltd, 1983

• In_Search_Of_Me
    Options
    and finally...
    Oatmeal gingerbread

Makes one 35x23/14x9 in cake

225g (8oz) wholewheat flour
    75g/ 3 ½ oz rolled oats
    5ml/1tsp bicarb
    5ml/1tsp cream of tartar
    15ml/1 tblsp ground ginger
    225g/8oz butter
    225g/8oz soft brown sugar

Mix together flour, oats, bicarb, cream of Tartar and ginger in a bowl. Run the butter or marge in until mix resembles breadcrumbs. Stir in sugar and then press the mix into the tray (I used a square one) firmly. Cook at 160c/325f for 30 mins until golden brown. Cut into squares while in the pan & still hot then leave to cool (mix looks v crumbly but firms up when cold). Eat & enjoy!

Taken from the classic 1000 cakes & bakes recipes, W Hobson

• ceridwen
    ceridwen Posts: 11,547 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    weezl i have nominated this thread for post of the month

I think you deserve some recognition for your original idea and enthusiasm

Shaz

Couldnt agree more!:T

Steps back in amazement. Well weezl - you are just going from strength to strength gal!:beer:

I've been sitting back for a while thinking to myself - she'll start up a blog soon and then she will get "talent spotted" and do a book - and, if I'm lucky, then maybe I might just be able to write the intro. for it. Frankly - at the rate you are going weezl - we will all be competing for the privilege. Do you think one is "allowed" to do a book with intros by 50 different people?

Keep at it - you are so on a winner on this one.:T
  • scotsaver
    scotsaver Posts: 824 Forumite
    Options
    Hi all, been reading this thread on and off and think what weezl74 is doing is fantastic.:T Think you will enjoy the "Optimum Nutrition Bible" - had a copy given to me for my Birthday and finding it very informative, it's certainly opening my eyes a bit more, think we all eat very healthily, I've always cooked from scratch but there is still so much more that we can be doing.
    "WASTE NOT, WANT NOT!"
    GC for OH, myself, DD18 & DD16 includes Toiletries, cleaning stuff & Food.

• weezl74
    weezl74 Posts: 8,701 Forumite
    Options
    Heeeeeey Ceridwen! Glad you're back amongst us, I've missed you. The blog is germinating as we speak, I promise. ;)

Asda have just started doing cans of organic veg, which seems to offer some lo-cost meal options you might like to try...

A little 'welcome back' soup for ceridwen...

Tarantella Organic Garden Peas (400g) 74p
    Yeo valley organic creme fraiche (200g) 74p

simmer peas, add herbs and stock, blitz with stick blender, stir in creme fraiche, voila! A 6 person lovely meal for 24p a head. And with dove's farm organic wholemeal bread flour at 55p per 1.5kg bag, you could serve it with HM bread for anly a few pence more (less than a penny a slice, but I wasn't sure what to allow for organic yeast!:confused:)

ISOM these recipes are fab :T I'm loving everyones tips, recipes and thoughts. Thank you so much for keeping company with me on my little journey.

scotsaver, I'm gonna take that book out as soon as SOMEBODY has returned it to Cardiff library!!!

Weezl x

:hello:Jonathan 'Fergie' Fergus William, born 05/03/09, 7lb 4.4oz:hello:
    :)Benjamin 'Kezzie' Kester Jacob, born 18/03/10, 7lb 5oz:)
    cash neutral gifts 2011, value of purchased gifts/actual paid/amount earnt to cover it £67/£3.60/£0
    january grocery challenge, feed 4 of us for £40
  • In_Search_Of_Me
    Options
    who would that be weezl? Moi! It will go back tomorrow (now that I have my shiny newish one!) but am sure there will be more than one copy!

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure