PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Old Style vs the USDA head-to-head challenge...

Options

Comments

• pebbles88
    pebbles88 Posts: 1,464 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    weezl74 wrote: »
    good sources of selenium, first column has how much it contains in microgrammes, second column is a percentage of what adults need each day

Brazil nuts, dried, unblanched, 1 ounce 544mg 780%

hiya, i was once told that 3 brazil nuts give you all your daily needs of selenium??? that was from a independent health food shop manager
    Please be nice to all moneysavers!
    Dance like nobody's watching; love like you've never been hurt. Sing like nobody's listening; live like it's heaven on earth."
    Big big thanks to Niddy, sorely missed from these boards..best cybersupport ever!!
  • In_Search_Of_Me
    In_Search_Of_Me Posts: 10,634 Forumite
    Options
    oo bails so pleased you have the book! Have to say its quite scary how BAD my diet is!! AM so far up to p28 and am so bad on all of it and its very interesting what he says about combinations of foot/vits etc and how even packaging can make a difference as it affects food. Weezle you'll be pleased to hear that he says you shouldnt have meat more than 3 times a week & main protein daily should come from "beans, lentils, quinoa, tofy,, seed veg (peas/broad beans) or other veg protein or one small servng of meat, fish, cheese or a free range egg" (p29) in terms of protein. I am going to have quinoa, bacon & mushrooms for tea as its delicious! He says you should avoid too much animal protein...further bits to follow but a chuffed that someone else agrees with me about his ideas, although they do turn conventional "dietary advice" on its head a bit - ie his discussion about RDA's because things react differently depending on indivdual, environment & mixing with other things...also interesting is (he says) the damage that drugs like painkillers do to the liver...a worrying one for me as I have a bad back & regularly take paracetamol! Will read on but its food for thought lol!!
    Nerd no 109 Long haulers supporters DFW #1! Even in the darkest moments, love and hope are always possible.

• shaz_mum_of__2
    shaz_mum_of__2 Posts: 2,010 Forumite
    Options
    Hi all

Am experimenting today

Bran flake cake and flavoured(cheese and chive) smash based bread

Will post results and recipes later if successful

Shaz
    Shaz
  • In_Search_Of_Me
    In_Search_Of_Me Posts: 10,634 Forumite
    Options
    How did you get on shaz?!!
    Nerd no 109 Long haulers supporters DFW #1! Even in the darkest moments, love and hope are always possible.

• shaz_mum_of__2
    shaz_mum_of__2 Posts: 2,010 Forumite
    Options
    Bran cake recipe was great the potato bread looks good but haven't eaten any yet

cards036.jpg

Bran flake cake

2 cups of bran flakes (we use tesco healthy option huge box for just over a quid)
    2 cups sugar
    2 cups sultanas
    2 cups milk
    2 cups Self Raising flour
    2 teasp mix spice

mix everything except the flour in a bowl and leave till a soggy mess mix in the flour

into 2 x 2lb loaf tins (greased/lined,i use liners)

gas mark 3 for about 50 mins until golden and a skewer comes out clean

yummy and healthyish too

cards035.jpg

Shaz
    Shaz
  • weezl74
    weezl74 Posts: 8,701 Forumite
    Options
    ooooh shaz, I'm in awe!!!!!

Those look amazing! I'm coming round now for a cuppa tea and a slice :coffee::coffee:Look, one each!

Got very obsessed last night with trying to work out the full vitamin and mineral profile of an ideal breakfast that's as thrifty as possible.

As geeky as it sounds, I have analysed 2 slices of wholemeal toast spread with a nut butter made with 2/3rds almond, one 3rd brazils. I shall publish my findings later. So you can all laugh at how daft I am!

Much love,

Weezl x

:hello:Jonathan 'Fergie' Fergus William, born 05/03/09, 7lb 4.4oz:hello:
    :)Benjamin 'Kezzie' Kester Jacob, born 18/03/10, 7lb 5oz:)
    cash neutral gifts 2011, value of purchased gifts/actual paid/amount earnt to cover it £67/£3.60/£0
    january grocery challenge, feed 4 of us for £40
  • purpleivy
    purpleivy Posts: 3,573 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    weezl74 wrote: »
    ooooh shaz, I'm in awe!!!!!

Those look amazing! I'm coming round now for a cuppa tea and a slice :coffee::coffee:Look, one each!

Got very obsessed last night with trying to work out the full vitamin and mineral profile of an ideal breakfast that's as thrifty as possible.

As geeky as it sounds, I have analysed 2 slices of wholemeal toast spread with a nut butter made with 2/3rds almond, one 3rd brazils. I shall publish my findings later. So you can all laugh at how daft I am!

Much love,

Weezl x

Not daft, Weezl, just committed!
    [SIZE=-1]"Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"[/SIZE]
    Trying not to waste food!:j
    ETA Philosophy is wondering whether a Bloody Mary counts as a Smoothie
  • purpleivy
    purpleivy Posts: 3,573 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Bran cake recipe was great the potato bread looks good but haven't eaten any yet

cards036.jpg

Bran flake cake

2 cups of bran flakes (we use tesco healthy option huge box for just over a quid)
    2 cups sugar
    2 cups sultanas
    2 cups milk
    2 cups Self Raising flour
    2 teasp mix spice

mix everything except the flour in a bowl and leave till a soggy mess mix in the flour

into 2 x 2lb loaf tins (greased/lined,i use liners)

gas mark 3 for about 50 mins until golden and a skewer comes out clean

yummy and healthyish too

Shaz

I'm looking for no eggs baking today, as I'm on no-spend-on-food challenge. This is perfect. Also good for when you want to bake and have not butter either!
    [SIZE=-1]"Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"[/SIZE]
    Trying not to waste food!:j
    ETA Philosophy is wondering whether a Bloody Mary counts as a Smoothie
  • Yategirl
    Yategirl Posts: 839 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    have been following this thread with interest... ISOM - can you tell me what book you are reading?
  • weezl74
    weezl74 Posts: 8,701 Forumite
    Options
    Hi Shaz,

Do you happen to know how many mls are in your cups that you used for the bran flake cakes? I don't own any measuring cups, but I could draw a line on a mug if I knew where to draw it, if you see what I mean?:D

Hi Purpleivy, You getting any sleep yet?

Weezl x

:hello:Jonathan 'Fergie' Fergus William, born 05/03/09, 7lb 4.4oz:hello:
    :)Benjamin 'Kezzie' Kester Jacob, born 18/03/10, 7lb 5oz:)
    cash neutral gifts 2011, value of purchased gifts/actual paid/amount earnt to cover it £67/£3.60/£0
    january grocery challenge, feed 4 of us for £40
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport