PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Old Style vs the USDA head-to-head challenge...

Options

Comments

• weezl74
    weezl74 Posts: 8,701 Forumite
    Options
    hello! I sheepishly agree with everything ISOM says.:o I was always that kid at school who was 'well keen' and slightly geeky!

ISOM is very cute and generous, and brought lovely gifts of potato bread, marmalade, ginger nuts and fresh yeast. We were charmed and delighted. A good first experience of crossing the line between virtual friendship and real life!:T

Back to the research folks, I'm investigating next a nut and seed combo that when spread on morning toast packs a mighty nutritional punch. Sunflower seed and almond butter is looking good so far. I'll be back with thoughts on selenium soon.

Great recipes by the way! Oh and the potato bread is absolutely heavenly, make some now shaz et all, you'll love it!

FFM I'm very glad the pate worked ok, and not too buttery.;) How nice that the little monkeys were keen too. Little ones can be selective about liver can't they?

Definately add the millett recipe please ISOM :D

Love Weezl x

:hello:Jonathan 'Fergie' Fergus William, born 05/03/09, 7lb 4.4oz:hello:
    :)Benjamin 'Kezzie' Kester Jacob, born 18/03/10, 7lb 5oz:)
    cash neutral gifts 2011, value of purchased gifts/actual paid/amount earnt to cover it £67/£3.60/£0
    january grocery challenge, feed 4 of us for £40
  • shaz_mum_of__2
    shaz_mum_of__2 Posts: 2,010 Forumite
    Options
    ISOM -yes please cereal bars are yum but so expensive especially the eat natural ones i love

Shaz
    Shaz
  • funkyfunkymonkey
    funkyfunkymonkey Posts: 2,727 Forumite
    Options
    ISOM -yes please cereal bars are yum but so expensive especially the eat natural ones i love

Shaz

They're my favs too, but at 80p each I refuse to buy them now that I'm doing the Grocery Challenge.

FFM :)
    AMAZON SELLERS CLUB member 0077 come and join us :hello: make some space and get hold of some cash, we're on the ebay and other auctions, car boot and jumble sales board.
  • In_Search_Of_Me
    In_Search_Of_Me Posts: 10,634 Forumite
    Options
    ok pepys will post tomorrow! May initially be expensive as some of the ingredients look a tad pricey but will leave you to decide! Just watched the excellent film Mr Brooks which was great! Good twists & highy recc!!

Not sure I've ever been decribed as cute before Mrs W (why the user name BTW meant to ask but in all the excitement/nervousness forgot!) but generous I can go with! Possibly why I managed to accrue so much debt cos I used to buy pressies instead of making them! Same principle but cheaper now with more thought!! Good that the meeting IRL was nice for you too as you just never know do you eh!!Plus nowt wrong with being slightly geeky - at least now if I ever need to know how long a jar of marmalde lasts I know who to ask cos my brain just couldnt figure that out (still struggling to even get the concept!)!! Horses for courses and makes the world a far more interesting place to be! Night all. WIll catch up & post recipe tom! What specific vits were you looking for in the uts - may be easier to find that than specific nuts & may get more food groups in then? Just a thought...
    Nerd no 109 Long haulers supporters DFW #1! Even in the darkest moments, love and hope are always possible.

• In_Search_Of_Me
    Options
    Cereal bars – readers digest recipe

Makes 14 bars

2 tbsp sunflower seeds
    2 tbsp pumpkin seeds
    2 tbsp linseeds
    2 bananas (about 300g/10 ½ oz) weighed with skins on
    100g/3 ½ oz unsalted butter
    3 tbsp golden syrup
    50g/1 ¾ oz rolled oats
    100g/ 3 ½ oz stoned dried dates, roughly chopped

Preheat oven to 180o C/350F/GM4. Grease a 28x18x4cm cake tin & line the bottom with baking parchment.

Roughly chop linseed, pumpkin and sunflower seeds. Peel & roughly chop bananas.

Melt butter and golden syrup in a fairly large saucepan & then add the chopped seeds & banana and then add millet flakes, rolled oats and dates. Mix well then add to the tin.

Bake for 30mins or until golden brown. Leave to cool for 5 mins & then mark into 14 bars and cool. Can be kept in airtight tin for 2 days.

Each bar provides: 160kcal; 3g protein; 10g fat (4g saturated); 17g carbs (of which 8g sugars) & 1g fibre
    Contains vitamin A, B,B6, E, copper & zinc

Nerd no 109 Long haulers supporters DFW #1! Even in the darkest moments, love and hope are always possible.

• In_Search_Of_Me
    Options
    There you go pepys! Bizarre my button said I wasnt in!! (I mean, as if!!) Dotty cat helped with the typing by generously sitting on the book so it was a team effort!! Have now run ut of pot bread so off to hunt out an alternatve nice moist bread and if I cant will make the same again!
    Just a we update! Weezl do see if you can get the optimum nutritio bible from the library by Patrick Holford...he makes so much sense! Mine will go back when my own copy arrives from amazon but really cant recc it enough! Suspect that it may be one of those life changing books for me having suffered with migraine, horrendous PMT and IBS for years...his theory is that all these things can be beaten by using nutrition effectively rather than using drugs which cant be a bad thing in my book!

• mama67
    mama67 Posts: 1,367 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Haven't tried the potato bread but do a lovely one with leftover rice added not that you'd know it just disappears into the bread its for a BM will dig out and post later

Could you use instant mash for the potato bread bought some because it was really cheap at lidl but can't stand it
    we went out for sunday lunch today for 4 it was £20 its really nice and you get loads but i couldn't help thinking what i could cook for £20 OMG:eek:

i am obsessed!!!!

Shaz
    Shaz, we went out the other week for lunch on a Sunday rare non-football day; and I was thinking exactly the same when the bill came. It was nice though not to have cook and clear up.
    My self & hubby; 2 sons (28 & 25). Now also a daughter (36). Eldest son has his own house with partner & her 2 children (10 & 8)
    Youngest looking to buy a house end of 2024.
    Daughter married with 3 boys (11, 8 & 4).
    My mother always served up leftovers we never knew what the original meal was. - Tracey Ulman
  • bails
    bails Posts: 3,196 Forumite
    Options
    Have I mentioned how much I love this thread?:heartpuls

Thanks as ever for all the lovely recipes to try, especially the elderflower ones as we have a massive one at the end of our garden which is due for the chop - may have to rethink if the recipes are a success, as we love elderflower cordial! :T

Talking of eating strange things, I have in fact eaten several types of grubs, including ones roasted with their wings on (a annual delicacy in Zim), along with tortoise and the endangered civet cat :eek: (I had no choice without severely offending my host but was very sad about it.) My guinea pigs are safe in their cage though :D especially as I'm now a vegetarian!

Glad the meeting went well for Weezl and In Search of Me - your organisational skills sound v impressive and amusing at the same time Weezl; maybe you could write a book! I have met 2 virtual MSE friends now and both have been lovely.

As for the Optimum Nutrition Bible, it gets a thumbs up from me too. I've had this one and several other Patrick Holford books for years now and they make very interesting reading. Thanks for inspiring me to get mine back out again (I use one of his recipe books all the time).
    I'm going to finally make the nettle pesto...well, soon, just off for a nap...:D Keep up the good work fellow Weezlers x
    The 1,000 Day Challenge:
    Feb 16, 2016
    500/30,000
    1.67%
  • weezl74
    weezl74 Posts: 8,701 Forumite
    Options
    good sources of selenium, first column has how much it contains in microgrammes, second column is a percentage of what adults need each day

Brazil nuts, dried, unblanched, 1 ounce 544mg 780%
    Tuna, light, canned in oil, drained, 3 ounces
    63mg 95%
    Beef, cooked, 3½ ounces
    35mg 50%

Cod, cooked, 3 ounces 32mg 45%
    Turkey, light meat, roasted, 3½ ounces
    32mg 45%
    Beef chuck roast, lean only, roasted, 3 ounces 23mg 35%
    Chicken Breast, meat only, roasted, 3½ ounces
    20mg 30%
    Noodles, enriched, boiled, 1/2 cup
    17mg 25%

Egg, whole, 1 medium 14mg 20%
    Cottage cheese, low fat 2%, 1/2 cup
    12mg 15%
    Oatmeal, instant, fortified, cooked, 1 cup 12mg 15%
    Rice, white, enriched, long grain, cooked, 1/2 cup 12mg 15%
    Rice, brown, long-grained, cooked, 1/2 cup
    10mg 15%
    Bread, enriched, whole wheat, commercially prepared, 1 slice
    10mg 15%
    Walnuts, black, dried, 1 ounce
    5mg 8%
    Bread, enriched, white, commercially prepared, 1 slice
    4mg 6%
    Cheddar cheese, 1 ounce
    4mg 6%

:hello:Jonathan 'Fergie' Fergus William, born 05/03/09, 7lb 4.4oz:hello:
    :)Benjamin 'Kezzie' Kester Jacob, born 18/03/10, 7lb 5oz:)
    cash neutral gifts 2011, value of purchased gifts/actual paid/amount earnt to cover it £67/£3.60/£0
    january grocery challenge, feed 4 of us for £40
  • bails
    bails Posts: 3,196 Forumite
    Options
    1 ounce of brazil nut a week should do it then :D or do you have to have some every day? Thankd as ever Weezl, info stored for when the body is working properly again :T
    The 1,000 Day Challenge:
    Feb 16, 2016
    500/30,000
    1.67%
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business