PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Old Style vs the USDA head-to-head challenge...

Comments

• debbym
    debbym Posts: 460 Forumite
    Elderflower Champagne
    6 Elderflower heads
    2 Lemons (sliced)
    8 pints of water
    1.5 lb sugar
    2 tbsp white wine vinegar
    Put elderflower heads and lemons in a non-metallic container and pour on the water. Cover and leave to soak for 24 - 36 hours. Strain through a sterile cloth (or muslin) and add sugar and vinegar. Stir until sugar is completely dissolved and pour into screw-top bottles. Leave tops slightly loose for 10 to 14 days. Keep for 2 to 3 months before drinking. Serve cool.
  • In_Search_Of_Me
    In_Search_Of_Me Posts: 10,634 Forumite
    oo thanks debbie! Have always been a bit iffy as dont like the taste but mum loves it so maybe a cordial for her? Ikea do nice sealable bottles relatively cheaply...

I can now confirm that potato bread is delicious! The texture is the best bread I've done and seriously considering getting rid of the bm! Making it by hand was so therapeutic!! Just had some with butter & marmite and the texture is simular to thin crumpets - moist and light! Then had a bit (as a testing model you understand!) with better & honey! Yum! No potatoe flavor - just lovely light moist bread that lasts 5 days plus uses less flour which s getting quite expensive so this is a cheaper alternative! Will post the recipe in a mo!!
    Nerd no 109 Long haulers supporters DFW #1! Even in the darkest moments, love and hope are always possible.

• In_Search_Of_Me
    Potato bread – readers digest recipe

400g (14oz) floury potato - scrubbed
    700g (1ib 9oz) strong white bread flour
    1 tsp salt
    1 sachet easy blend yeast – approx 7g
    1 tblsp molasses

Put potatoes in a pan and simmer for 15 minutes until soft – leave skins on and then when cooked remove from water (keep water) and cool and then scrape the skin off (keeping skins on while cooking preserves the nutrients that lie just beneath the skin). Mash well.

In mixing bowl sieve 1ib 5 oz flour, salt & yeast (I used real yeast from the baker – a lump a bit smaller than a tablespoon!) and mix together the add potato and mix in.

In a jug mix 10 fl oz of potato water & molasses which should still be warm. Slowly add to the mix until a soft but not sticky dough consistency is reached.

The knead with some of the remaining flour for 5-10 mins until it goes smooth & elastic (don’t worry if any lumps of potato!). Put in an oiled bowl and cover with a tea towel for 40 mins.

Then knead again for 3 mins and divide mix into two and put into two well greased bread pans. Cover again & let it rise for 20 mins. After 15 mins turn the oven on to 180 c/350F or GM 4 and then put the bread in & cook for 40-45 mins until well risen and brown.

Turn onto wire rack to cool. Can be kept for up to a week.

Each slice (assuming 14 slices per loaf) is 195 kcal/6g protein/1g fat (of which 0% is saturated!) 43g carbs (of which sugars 1g) and 2g fibre.

Note: This is a lovely moist bread that is surprisingly light – less dense than any other HM bread I’ve made yet! Delicious with marmite & honey! (but possibly not on the same slice!!)
    Nerd no 109 Long haulers supporters DFW #1! Even in the darkest moments, love and hope are always possible.

• Softstuff
    Softstuff Posts: 3,086
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    weezl74 wrote: »

Dear all. A warning: under no circumstances, however tempted you are, and however much of the stuff you've grown, be tempted to think 'oooh what about sage pesto?!' Readers, it's ghastly! :D I keep adding things to redeem it but DH says to give up!:o

Sage tea isn't bad. Dry the leaves first, just put boiling water over, and add sugar. It's especially good if you have a cold or upset stomach.
    Softstuff- Officially better than 007
  • debbym
    debbym Posts: 460 Forumite
    Softstuff wrote: »
    Sage tea isn't bad. Dry the leaves first, just put boiling water over, and add sugar. It's especially good if you have a cold or upset stomach.

How about Sage butter - (or is butter off the list?) Freezing beautifully and as you only need a knob at a time lasts ages - freeze in spoonfuls and then bag later:cool: . Good to stir a knob into plain pasta/coucous/rice so you can have it as a side dish. Also good for pan-frying liver - like the chicken livers you have been using(mum used to do this can't stand the stuff myself:o )
  • weezl74
    weezl74 Posts: 8,701 Forumite
    thanks for the sage tips soft stuff and debbym :D

Thought I'd post a bit more on how the shopping list I posted breaks down into 3 months of vegetarian healthy eating showing how many of each kind of meal comes from that recipe:

dinners

mealsfor2
    pesto
    green olive pasta sauce
    cous cous 8
    lentil and sun dried tom
    tomato dahl + bombay potato
    chick pea curry with coconut
    chick pea curry with mustard
    lentil chilli
    refritos and tortilla
    3 bean salad with rice
    onion tart with walnutty pastry

puddings
    sultana loaf 6
    malt loaf
    lemon sorbet
    rice pudding
    ice cream 4 diff flavours
    chocolate concrete

variety- wise, this seems ok, nothing crops up for dinner more than once every 6 days. Which I think's pretty good!;)

Weezl x

:hello:Jonathan 'Fergie' Fergus William, born 05/03/09, 7lb 4.4oz:hello:
    :)Benjamin 'Kezzie' Kester Jacob, born 18/03/10, 7lb 5oz:)
    cash neutral gifts 2011, value of purchased gifts/actual paid/amount earnt to cover it £67/£3.60/£0
    january grocery challenge, feed 4 of us for £40
  • Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 580 Forumite
    Hello everyone
    I'm following this thread with great interest & picking up lots of tips & recipes although I don't have the dedication neded to follow such frugal mealplans every day.

As a vegan lots of the meals are suitable for me & I'm always on the lookout for more ideas. :T

I hope everyone got their free dose of vitamin D from the sunshine yesterday - I know I did! :D
  • In_Search_Of_Me
    Morning all! Have had the pot bread toasted this am & its yummy!! EVen better the next day!! Hope youre ok! Does anyone want any vits info from the nutriton bible?!!

• weezl74
    weezl74 Posts: 8,701 Forumite
    Morning all! Have had the pot bread toasted this am & its yummy!! EVen better the next day!! Hope youre ok! Does anyone want any vits info from the nutriton bible?!!

Well, since you've offered...;)

I've been wondering about some sort of healthy nut or seed butter as a morning toast topper for the 3 month veggie meal planner option I'm composing. Different nuts seem to pack a different punch, one is good for zinc, another high in magnesium....

So does the nutrition bible offer either a nut/seed combo which is a good all rounder, or is there one nut/seed which emerges as a super-food, a winner on lots of vitamin and mineral levels?:confused:

Anyone feel free to post ideas on that, but ISOM, you may have the answer in your book....:D

Ta muchly,

Weezl x

:hello:Jonathan 'Fergie' Fergus William, born 05/03/09, 7lb 4.4oz:hello:
    :)Benjamin 'Kezzie' Kester Jacob, born 18/03/10, 7lb 5oz:)
    cash neutral gifts 2011, value of purchased gifts/actual paid/amount earnt to cover it £67/£3.60/£0
    january grocery challenge, feed 4 of us for £40
  • In_Search_Of_Me
    ok booky said that you should have a pyramid of foods - top ten list is;
    1) heaped tbsp ground seens or 1 tblsp cold pressed seed oil
    2) 2 x servings of beans, lentils, quinoa (lovely fried with bacon!), tofu (soya) or seed veg
    3) 3 x pieces fresh fruit apples, pears, bananas, berries, melon or citrus
    4) Servings whole grains such as brown rice, milett, rye, oats, wholewehat, corn, quinoa as cereal, breads & pasta
    5) 5 servigs dark reen leafy or root veg such as watercress, carrot, sweet pots, brocolli, spinich, green beans & peppers
    6) 6 x glases water, diluted juices, herbs or fruit teas
    7) Eat organic whole & raw foods as often as you can
    8) Supliment diet with high strength multivitamin & mineral prep & 1000mg vit c per day
    9) Avoid brown, burnt & browned food & hydrogenated fat & excess animal fat
    10) Avoid any form of sugar and white refined or processed food with chemical additives & limit alch to max of one unit a day...

It looks so simple doesent it eh!! Have yet to see nut info but will have a hunt! Actually looking at the book think you would love it Weezle & will bring it when I come to meet you so you can have a look. Looks well worth buying as loads of info (some of it is above my level of understanding with lots of diagrams etc but sure you'll get it & be able to explain it to us in simple terms!!) ..!

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure