Forum Home» Old Style MoneySaving

Old Style vs the USDA head-to-head challenge... - Page 33

New Post Advanced Search

Old Style vs the USDA head-to-head challenge...

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Old Style MoneySaving
1.7K replies 203.7K views

Replies

• BigMummaFBigMummaF Forumite
    4.3K posts
    A few years back, I read a very interesting article about PMT & lack of essential trace elements in the diet. It made for interesting reading & I found the particular suppliment they recommended a great help. It's surprising just how much stuff our bodies do need to function on all cylinders:rolleyes:

I wondered if the poster Ted Hutchinson might be able to help you with your quest Weezl, as s/he can usually find a good deal of medical-type research to support posts, & so could point you in the direction of some reputable web-sites.

I am soooooo willing you to do this, if only to stick two fingers up at the supermarkets:D
    Full time Carer for Mum; harassed mother of three;
    loving & loved by two 4-legged babies.

• In_Search_Of_MeIn_Search_Of_Me Forumite
    10.6K posts
    ok big mumma it was one of my dyslexic spellings! I was actually back from WORk and not making worm pate but hey - theyre free and I'm sure I could pick some up at the allotment lol!!
    Weezle - the offer of the marmalade is there still - it was a genuine request for a swap or expertise and while I am trying to pay my debts off I'm not so skint that I cant afford to give a a gift - plus it doesent cost me £1.50 to make anyhoo..I kept it by for you so if you would like it holler but if you feel odd about meeting up and prefer not to I wont be offended! I am much more a "please be honest than polite" kind of girl & know that others may not be as friendly (but not in a stalkersh way!!) as me & may feel odd! Anyway, I'll shut up now! Off to eat yummy pate with some contraband wine that I happened to buy on the way home!
    Nerd no 109 Long haulers supporters DFW #1! Even in the darkest moments, love and hope are always possible.

• purpleivypurpleivy Forumite
    3.5K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    I was just settling into the last glass of the wine that got started the other night when we had visitors... when I found I had to do the run to band. [EMAIL="d@rn"][email protected][/EMAIL]! It grieved me spending what I did on the fish pie, I was far to extravagant... cost the same as many vegetarian meals for many nights. I have no desire to be a complete vegetarian, but on financial and health grounds I do see the attraction!

After the fish pie escapade I decided I had to rein in a bit for the weekend, when we will probably be 13 on Saturday night.

I think I described our meal earlier in this thread. The difference will be that I have bought a chunk of turkey breast to add to the stuff...tortillas HM, guacomole HM, creme fraiche, onions, mushrooms, salady bits of stuff. I'll try and cost it so I can see how much it works out at per head.

There's also something called arepas that dd has eaten somewhere that she wants to try out. This sounds like a good idea as well, made with maize flour/masa harina. I need to do a bit more research ithink.
    [SIZE=-1]"Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"[/SIZE]
    Trying not to waste food!:j
  • poodlehorsepoodlehorse Forumite
    675 posts
    Someone (sorry forgotten who) was looking for a US online supermarket to compare prices. http://shop.safeway.com/superstore/ I found this when looking for something else. I have a habit of finding things when I am not looking for them. You're right about the bread though, I spotted a white loaf for $3.49 or something, yikers. But their avocados were 79c each and I think my Tesco usually charges thereabouts in GBP so it is swings and roundabouts. You need to put in a zipcode but I just used 90265 as it is one of the only ones I know.
  • SoftstuffSoftstuff Forumite
    3.1K posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Someone (sorry forgotten who) was looking for a US online supermarket to compare prices. http://shop.safeway.com/superstore/ I found this when looking for something else. I have a habit of finding things when I am not looking for them. You're right about the bread though, I spotted a white loaf for $3.49 or something, yikers. But their avocados were 79c each and I think my Tesco usually charges thereabouts in GBP so it is swings and roundabouts. You need to put in a zipcode but I just used 90265 as it is one of the only ones I know.

I think it's always a bit misleading to compare prices of a shopping list directly across countries. The simple fact is, you need to live and eat according to the country you're living in.

I'm currently living in australia, and have lived previously in Turkey. Here in Australia, some things are plentiful that you would never consider affording to eat in bulk in england..... sometimes for about 80p I can get a carrier bag full of avocados, in mango season I refuse to pay more than about 15p each for them, in banana season they're about 80p a kilo, out of season, more like 3 quid. Having said that, frozen foods, ice creams and pasta sauces... well, lets just say there's no home bargains or busy bee here! In Turkey figs are wonderfully cheap, as are olives, fresh bread, white cheese and many other things.... but don't ever try and buy weetabix!
    Softstuff- Officially better than 007
  • MaxjessdruMaxjessdru Forumite
    178 posts
    Not posted before as I have been reading through all the posts (taken a while!). Great thread Weezl- I've found this really interesting and amazing how many minerals/vitamins we need. Does anyone ever get it right!!

Anyway, I was interested in reading about the nettles, dandelions and other free food. On the same topic, I was looking up a recipe in an old Marguerite Patten preserves book and found the following, all based on free food:

Blackberry Jam, Blackberry and Elderberry Jam, Bramble Jelly, Rowan Jelly, Orange Peel and Apple Marmalade (ww2 speciality apparently!), Rose Hip Syrup, Blackberry Ketchup. I know most of these are late summer foraging but please let me know if anyone would like the recipes posting.

Maxjessdru
  • weezl74weezl74 Forumite
    8.7K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    ok big mumma it was one of my dyslexic spellings! I was actually back from WORk and not making worm pate but hey - theyre free and I'm sure I could pick some up at the allotment lol!!
    Weezle - the offer of the marmalade is there still - it was a genuine request for a swap or expertise and while I am trying to pay my debts off I'm not so skint that I cant afford to give a a gift - plus it doesent cost me £1.50 to make anyhoo..I kept it by for you so if you would like it holler but if you feel odd about meeting up and prefer not to I wont be offended! I am much more a "please be honest than polite" kind of girl & know that others may not be as friendly (but not in a stalkersh way!!) as me & may feel odd! Anyway, I'll shut up now! Off to eat yummy pate with some contraband wine that I happened to buy on the way home!

You're on then lass!;) We'll PM about it? When I wake up!
    Just been out for dinner and had roast beef!!! Oh my word it was soooooooooo lovely. I think our friends pitied us about the mad challenge!
    Maxjessdru, we'd all love the recipes, post em please:T

Nighty night!

:hello:Jonathan 'Fergie' Fergus William, born 05/03/09, 7lb 4.4oz:hello:
    :)Benjamin 'Kezzie' Kester Jacob, born 18/03/10, 7lb 5oz:)
    cash neutral gifts 2011, value of purchased gifts/actual paid/amount earnt to cover it £67/£3.60/£0
    january grocery challenge, feed 4 of us for £40
  • nopot2pinnopot2pin Forumite
    5.7K posts
    weezl74 wrote: »
    You're on then lass!;) We'll PM about it? When I wake up!
    J

Good on ya Weezl :T :T

You are certainly bridging alot of gaps on this thread :D
    Well Done to you :D
    I will, of course, continue watching :o
    (unless I need my tuppence worth shouted out about):o :p
  • weezl74weezl74 Forumite
    8.7K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    pesto, large batch, 20 servings ( generous ones!) at 24p per person's serving

take all the leaves and stems from 3 plants growing basil, rinse, rip up a bit and put in blender with: 150 g block parmesan (cubed, so it doesn’t knacker the blades of your food processor!) 150g almonds, 270 ml oil, 5 tspns garlic powder, generous squeeze lemon, salt and ground black pepper. Blitz til a smooth paste.

This makes enough for 26 individual portions of pesto, depending on how many people you’re feeding at a time, freeze in manageable quantities. This is therefore 13 evening meals for 2 people. :T

Ice cube trays could be good, maybe knowing that 2 cubes was a one person portion IYSWIM.

When the cubes have frozen solid, put the cubes in a freezer bag and lob in a couple at the end stage of cooking your pasta, having drained it first!

This provides a tenth of your calcium requirement for the day, and because of mandatory flour fortification in the UK, you can be assured that plenty more is in the pasta! If you boil it in a hard water area, you'll get even more!:D
    TTFN

Weezl x

:hello:Jonathan 'Fergie' Fergus William, born 05/03/09, 7lb 4.4oz:hello:
    :)Benjamin 'Kezzie' Kester Jacob, born 18/03/10, 7lb 5oz:)
    cash neutral gifts 2011, value of purchased gifts/actual paid/amount earnt to cover it £67/£3.60/£0
    january grocery challenge, feed 4 of us for £40
  • In_Search_Of_MeIn_Search_Of_Me Forumite
    10.6K posts
    oo lovely weezle will pm now!
    Nerd no 109 Long haulers supporters DFW #1! Even in the darkest moments, love and hope are always possible.