Forum Home» Old Style MoneySaving

Old Style vs the USDA head-to-head challenge... - Page 30

New Post Advanced Search

Old Style vs the USDA head-to-head challenge...

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Old Style MoneySaving
1.7K replies 203.6K views

Replies

• catzninecatznine Forumite
    3.2K posts
    I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭
    :TThat shopping list is brilliant! thanks Weezl! I am trying to sort out my store cupboard ready for some bulk cooking (OAMC) and can base some of it on your list.

:hello: Hello Bails! I'm ok thanks but finding my symptoms are a lot worse after my school shifts lol! Pacing and bulk cooking is the way forward I think! Hope you are managing to pace as well.

Off to make some lentil dhal (Queenies recipe) but I will double up the ingredients and make it in the slow cooker for the freezer.
    Queenie’s Lentil Dhal Recipe

6oz red lentils (pre soaked for approx 1 hour)
    1 oz butter
    1 onion
    1 tsp mustard powder
    1 tsp tumeric
    1 tsp garam masala (use mixed spice if you don't have GM)
    1 pint stock

To prepare the lentils, put in a bowl and cover with hot water and soak for approx 1 hr.
    Drain then rinse.
    (This is not always necessary, depending on your supply of red lentils! The soaking/draining/rinsing depends on the supplier; some lentils need this to be clear of grit)

Fry the onion in the butter until soft. Stir in the mustard, turmeric, and GM (or mixed spice if using) for approx 5 mins. (You need to do this to fully release the flavours from the spice).
    Add the lentils and stock, cover and simmer for 30-60 mins, or until the lentils have dissolved and the dhal is the consistency of pea soup... add any salt for taste.

Serve or prepare for freezing and serving later.

Cool quickly i.e., put the pan into a bowl of cold water, within view of an open window); transfer to a rigid container, seal, label and freeze!

To defrost and serve: - thaw in a fridge overnight, then reheat, gently, on the hob, stirring occasionally.
    apologies if you have already posted this recipe!
    Catz x
    Our days are happier when we give people a bit of our heart rather than a piece of our mind.

Jan grocery challenge £35.77/£120
  • JustamumJustamum Forumite
    4.7K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    weezl74 wrote: »
    [FONT=&quot] As promised, a vegetarian shopping list where 2 people can eat healthily for 3 months on £120:j[/FONT]
    Again, I'm happy to post recipes and a meal planner if/when people want me to!:D
    [FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT]

Yes please :D

• BigMummaFBigMummaF Forumite
    4.3K posts
    poodlehorse;.....I must must must get a handle on my GB but I just don't seem to be able to,.....hate feeling I am being wasteful.......to make it go as far as possible and hopefully see a bit more of him LOL.....earning a pittance I supported both of us and managed really well on a small GB but I seem to have lost the knack lately..... I am going to try and sort myself out... I feel some OAMC plans being dusted off.
    Thanks for the kick up the butt[/quote]

Hope you don't mind but I've picked out the bits that--I think--show that you have done this before, so can do it again!

Just wanted to reply to this, & if I'm too late--apologies! I'm forever forgetting who said what by the time I've read thru, so I've stopped at you to reply while I think of it:p Phew!

All I was going to suggest was---have you checked out the Old Style Grocery Challenge? The May one is now up & running, & there's an untold wealth of excellent recipes for stretching the budget:j Someone else was asking for tortillas & paneer I]sorry..[B][U]Elona[/U][/B] I think[/I & there are definately others on there who could help you.

Basically, each person decides how much their budget will be for 1/2/4 wk or calendar month. Most folk go from pay day to pay day, others from first > last days. It's also your decision what is included in that budget; toiletries, cleaning, pets, eating out....then we just post to say how well:eek: we're keeping to it.

If nothing else, it's just like Weezl is doing & makes you think about the food you buy.

Sorry if I've stepped on any toes, but it seems we are all after the same common target.
    Full time Carer for Mum; harassed mother of three;
    loving & loved by two 4-legged babies.

• weezl74weezl74 Forumite
    8.7K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    BigMummaF wrote: »
    All I was going to suggest was---have you checked out the Old Style Grocery Challenge? The May one is now up & running, & there's an untold wealth of excellent recipes for stretching the budget:j Someone else was asking for tortillas & paneer I]sorry..[B][U]Elona[/U][/B] I think[/I & there are definately others on there who could help you.

Basically, each person decides how much their budget will be for 1/2/4 wk or calendar month. Most folk go from pay day to pay day, others from first > last days. It's also your decision what is included in that budget; toiletries, cleaning, pets, eating out....then we just post to say how well:eek: we're keeping to it.

If nothing else, it's just like Weezl is doing & makes you think about the food you buy.

Sorry if I've stepped on any toes, but it seems we are all after the same common target.

no toes feeling trodden on from me bigmummaF, I think the grocery challenge is fab. I think my decision to start a seperate place to talk about the healthy eating component of the low budget challenge, was that I'd noticed some peeps were feeling the Grocery challenge thread was filling up quickly and going off topic, so I thought I'd do my posting about nutrition somewhere else!;)

I'm not sure whether to do the vegetarian meal planner or the meat one first!!!

Vote now...

Also happy to take requests for any other vitamin, mineral, nutrient research anyone would like me to do next :D

Take care peeps. Shaz, hope your shoulder's a bit better now. Purpleivy, if you're there, hope you get some good sleep soon!

Weezl x

:hello:Jonathan 'Fergie' Fergus William, born 05/03/09, 7lb 4.4oz:hello:
    :)Benjamin 'Kezzie' Kester Jacob, born 18/03/10, 7lb 5oz:)
    cash neutral gifts 2011, value of purchased gifts/actual paid/amount earnt to cover it £67/£3.60/£0
    january grocery challenge, feed 4 of us for £40
  • bailsbails Forumite
    3.2K posts
    Ooh, the veggie one please, but I am biased :D
    The 1,000 Day Challenge:
    Feb 16, 2016
    500/30,000
    1.67%
  • catzninecatznine Forumite
    3.2K posts
    I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭
    I would love to see the vegetarian one Weezl! I am still learning how to use pulses! Got to be cheaper than meat!
    Our days are happier when we give people a bit of our heart rather than a piece of our mind.

Jan grocery challenge £35.77/£120
    8.7K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Fruit & Vegetables
    3 xASDA Smartprice Lemons (500g)£1.80 juice of 3 for houmous, lemon ice cream
    9.9KgASDA Onions by Weight (100g)£6.93 curries, dahl, bombay potato, soup
    4 xASDA White Potatoes (2.5Kg)£4.00 bombay potato, HM wedges
    3 xASDA Organic Growing Herbs - Basil £2.64 pesto
    4 xASDA Walnut Pieces (100g) £2.56 walnut pastry for caramelized onion tarts
    1 xASDA Wholefoods Linseeds (300g)£1.27 for adding to bread
    1 xNatco Almonds (400g)£2.78make 200g into almond butter for toast, also for pesto and cakes
    5 xASDA Smartprice Sultanas (500g)£2.05 6 loaves cinnamon and sultana bread, malt loaf, spicy couscous, lentil and s/dried tom
    5 xASDA Dried Skimmed Milk Powder (340g)£8.45
    11 xElmlea Double (284ml)£6.82 coconut, lemon, chocolate, peach, blackberry ice creams
    3 xASDA Smartprice Salted Butter (250g)£2.55
    1 xSt. Ivel Utterly Butterly Original (1Kg)£1.00
    1 xASDA Parmesan Block (150g)£2.30 pesto
    2 xRosenborg Danish Blue (150g)£2.36 1 for broccoli and blue cheese soup, 1 for blue cheese sandwich spread
    3 xASDA Broad Beans (750g)£2.25 4 bean salad
    3 xASDA Broccoli Florets (1Kg)£2.612 for broccoli and blue cheese soup
    3 xASDA Fine Green Beans (1Kg)£2.34
    3 xASDA Smartprice Sweetcorn (907g)£1.89 4 bean salad
    2 xASDA Pure Vegetable Oil (3L)£5.94
    1 xASDA Smartprice Malt Vinegar (568ml)£0.14 dressing for 4 bean salad, on HM wedges, in egg free muffin
    2 x ASDA Smartprice Black Pepper Ground (25g) £0.42
    1 xASDA Table Salt (750g)£0.24
    1 xKTC Curry Powder Mild (1Kg)£1.58
    2 xRajah Garlic Powder Sachet (100g)£0.84
    1 xSuperCook Bicarbonate of Soda (200g)£0.37
    2 xASDA Chilli Beans Whole Kidney Beans in a Spicy Chilli Sauce (290g)£0.72 lentil chilli
    38 xASDA Smartprice Peeled Plum Tomatoes in Tomato Juice (400g)£7.22 curry, bombay potato, tomato dahl
    2 xASDA Blackberries in Fruit Juice No Added Sugar (300g)£1.92 ice cream
    2 xDel Monte Peach Slices in Juice (415g)£1.30 ice cream
    3 xASDA Pitted Green Olives in Brine (310g)£2.342 as tomato and olive pasta sauce, 1 as green olive tapenade for sandwiches
    1 xMelis Sundried Tomatoes (340ml)£1.39 lentil and sun dried tomato casserole
    4 xKTC Pure Creamed Coconut (200g)£1.04 2 for ice cream, 2 for chick pea curry
    1 xASDA Course Grain French Mustard Hot & Crunchy (180g)£0.20 chick pea, tomato, mustard curry
    2 xASDA Smartprice Porridge Oats (1Kg)£1.18
    16 xASDA Smartprice Plain White Flour (1.5Kg)£5.76 2 bags for pastry, rest for bread - 56 loaves
    2 xASDA Smartprice Self Raising Flour (1.5Kg)£0.72
    2 xSilver Spoon Granulated Sugar (2Kg)£3.06 6 loaves cinnamon and sultana bread,malt loaf choc concrete, icecreams
    14 xASDA Smartprice Pasta Shapes (500g)£2.66 with pesto/ tomato and green olive sauce
    14 xASDA Smartprice Long Grain Rice (1Kg)£6.02 with curries, chilli, dahl…
    2 xASDA Wholefoods Cous Cous (1Kg) £2.48
    4 xNatco Blackeye Beans (500g)£1.76 4 bean salad
    1 xNatco Chick Peas (2Kg)£2.48 4 bean salad
    1 xNatco Green Lentils (2Kg)£1.98 lentil and sun dried tomato casserole
    2 xNatco Red Lentils (2Kg)£4.30 dahl
    3 xASDA Smartprice Tea Bags (80)£0.96
    2 xASDA Cocoa (250g)£2.48 chocolate ice cream, chocolate concrete,egg free chocolate muffins
    1 xASDA Smartprice Thin Bleach (2L)£0.28
    3 xASDA Smartprice Washing up Liquid (1L)£0.39
    1 xASDA Smartprice White Toilet Tissue (12)£1.12

breakfasts, porridge, toast with almond butter, toast and utterly butterly…

lunches, sandwiches with houmous, green olive tapenade, HM blue cheese spread,

lentil pate, blue cheese and broccoli soup, 4 bean salad

dinners, pasta pesto, caramelised onion tarts in walnut pastry, pasta with green olive and tomato sauce,

tomato dahl, lentil and sun dried tomato casserole, chick pea curry, sweet and spicy cous cous

cash neutral gifts 2011, value of purchased gifts/actual paid/amount earnt to cover it £67/£3.60/£0
  • shaz_mum_of__2shaz_mum_of__2 Forumite
    2K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Weezl

Have you set youself a cost per meal or dish (sorry if you already posted)

Have you tried red lentil bolognese??

Also in a previous recipe you used canned spinach wouldn't frozen be cheaper??

Shoulder/neck feeling better everday but not able to lift so no work for another week ........................shame!

Shazx
    Shaz
  • cheerfulness4cheerfulness4 Forumite
    2.9K posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'd love the meat version meal plan when you get a chance weezl. :) My poor printer is on overdrive at the moment.

Have we looked at zinc yet? Can't remember but it keeps coming up in things that I'm reading that zinc deficiency is common.
    8.7K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Weezl

Have you set youself a cost per meal or dish (sorry if you already posted)

Have you tried red lentil bolognese??

Also in a previous recipe you used canned spinach wouldn't frozen be cheaper??

Shoulder/neck feeling better everday but not able to lift so no work for another week ........................shame!

Shazx

Hi Shaz,

I don't really break it down into price per meal but it's 64p each a day, if that helps?:D

hi cheerfulness, zinc's a good idea, I'll do that next...

Weezl x