Rated People website

Options

Comments

• dacouch
    dacouch Posts: 21,637 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Those are good points noodle2, the rated people is a good idea in principle but sounds like it needs a bit of fine tuning to be fair to the customer and the tradesman especially in the current climate where tradesmen are struggling.

Noodle can you remove your signature as MSE do not allow it, I believe there are parts of MSE you can post discount offers etc but you cannot have push your business in your posts or in your signature
  • pasc
    pasc Posts: 4 Newbie
    Options
    I pride myself on good workmanship, and at the very least punctuality. It pains me greatly to hear all the negative experience a lot of customers have with tradesmen not even turning up.

To think of all the times I've paid my fee and not even got as far as quoting; it could be one of these these cowboys beating me to the job... :mad:
  • Sophie from Rated People here. Thanks for all your comments about the site. I wanted to pick up on a few things mentioned:

1) Tradespeople manipulating ratings

Our ratings system is one of the most robust ratings systems out there on the net. It's based on complex algorithms which is part of an active matching system. The volume of jobs that get posted each day would make it almost impossible to actually get matched to a job you post as the system is doing the matching not the tradespeople; the tradesperson can't choose to have a specific job sent to him/her.

2) Rated People posting its own jobs?

This would be absolute commercial suicide so we're definitely not posting jobs ourselves. Apart from when we have genuine jobs that need doing in our own homes! We are an honest, transparent matching service for customers and tradespeople and we do our level best to make sure that the people i.e. customers and tradespeople that use the platform do so in the correct way. If we see a job that looks fake or if a tradesperson notifies us of one, we investigate it.

3) How to avoid bad experiences

At Rated People we offer you the opportunity to find better tradespeople without the hassle of having to seek them out yourself. Unfortunately we operate in a market which is fraught with mistrust and misunderstanding and as we all know even a person you've known and trusted for all your life can let you down or have an off day. In order to avoid problems with tradespeople there are lots of things you can do to make sure they are the right person for the job:

1) Ask to speak to previous customers over the phone as well as relying on the ratings on Rated People (although this can be faked more easily than our rating system)

2) Check if they're certified (for gas and electric work if applicable use the new Gas Safe Register either online or by phoning them and ask to see all electrician's Part P certification which you'll be able to check)

3) Ask to see if they have any photos of previous work

4) A busy tradesperson is normally a good tradesperson so be flexible with start dates and try and accommodate their schedule as much as possible

5) Don't pressurize them to complete a job quickly

6) Get them to explain everything that they want to do step by step and if there's anything you don't understand tell them

7) Make sure that if you're having building work done that you have planning permission in place (check the government's planning portal online for rules) as this will save you and the builder time

8) Sign a contract

9) Never pay upfront

10) Get receipts and record of the work carried out in writing - Rated People members can use their Job Diary that acts as a record and is there for you to use as evidence if anything goes wrong

11) Remember no system is foolproof and if people want to scam you they will. It's sad, but unfortunately true. The best you can do however is to remain vigilant and remember for every cowboy there are hundreds of honest tradespeople out there who want your trade and to be recommended by you to others.

I hope this has helped
    Kind Regards,
    Sophie
    Official Company Representative
    I am the official company representative of Rated People. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to abuse@moneysavingexpert.com"
  • savemoney
    savemoney Posts: 18,127 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    SophieG you need to ask abuse for permission to represent the company

see this post

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showpost.html?p=3477020&postcount=19
  • dacouch
    dacouch Posts: 21,637 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    SophieG you do not appear to have read the actual posts on this thread.

The main complaints include that once a customer has given their rating they do not get the opportunity to go back and leave further feed back if a problem happens later and the tradesman will not correct it. If you bother reading your previous post on here you will note you acknowledged this problem and you were going to correct it. YOU HAVE NOT

You have also not answered the honest tradesmen who have posted on here that they waste money on your website by paying for contact details only to find the job is well gone.

You seem to have avoided the actual queriesi / complaints raised by MSE members and answered completely different questions. These are "Qualities" used in politics, I hear there will be soon be quite a few vacancies, maybe you could find your vocation there.

It is not impossible to manipulate your system, you may have a lot of jobs each day, however you will not receive lots for a particular post code, when you combine this with a particular type of trade...Hey Presto the chances are greatly reduced.

Like savemoney said you do not have permission to post ojn her promoting your company.
  • hollydays
    hollydays Posts: 19,812 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    We are an honest, transparent matching service for customers and tradespeople
    Sophie[/QUOTE]

Well,you aren't being transparent enough.Can you please answer the questions put to you.
  • Former_MSE_Andrea
    Options
    Hi everyone

We asked SophieG not to post again until she had permission, hence the delay in her replying. She has permission now and we've updated her user profile. She's now posting as Rated People company representative.

Andrea :)
    Could you do with a Money Makeover?

Follow MSE on other Social Media:
    MSE Facebook, MSE Twitter, MSE Deals Twitter, Instagram
    Join the MSE Forum
    Get the Free MoneySavingExpert Money Tips E-mail
    Report inappropriate posts: click the report button
    Point out a rate/product change
    Flag a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
  • Hello everyone,

I now have permission to post! Thanks for letting me know that I needed to do that.

1. I can assure you that you are able to leave as many 'follow-up' ratings for your tradesman and that he/she can reply. We developed this functionality last August when we re-launched. If you're having problems rating your tradesman please contact our Customer Service Team on 0870 2208811 between 9am and 6pm, Monday to Friday excluding UK Bank Holidays

2. For all the tradesmen who think that we don't represent good value for money: The money you spend with us means that you have access to a larger amount of jobs in your area and it's a really efficient and effective way of increasing your customer base compared to other forms of advertising. The quality of the jobs that get posted is really important to us and we're looking at ways we can improve this and also to make sure that bad leads are investigated and the proper course of action taken. Also I want to make sure that if you are a tradesman member of our site and you do get sent a job that looks wrong please let us know. As a Rated People tradesman, you get complete control over which jobs you decide to quote on and the competition on each job is low (only up to two tradesmen will quote with you). The system works best if you check your account every day for new jobs or if you use the text message service we offer so that you can pick up on leads straight away. The tricky thing for us to improve is how serious the customer is about their job when they post. We do have a lot of ideas on this and are putting together plans to help this as we speak. As I've said we are a young company constantly trying to improve so I'll hopefully be able to report back here in the near future to tell you how we've improved.
    Official Company Representative
    I am the official company representative of Rated People. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to abuse@moneysavingexpert.com"
  • Jules22
    Jules22 Posts: 103 Forumite
    Options
    I used RATED PEOPLE when i was looking for a builder.

if i hadnt used them i wouldnt have found the best builder ever.

thank you Rated People.
  • savemoney
    savemoney Posts: 18,127 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Thanks for letting us know
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income