New Post Advanced Search

Coronavirus: The latest from MSE

The MSE team is working extremely hard to keep the info we have about your travel rights, cancellation rights, sick pay (and more) up to date.
The official MSE guides: UPDATED MSE Coronavirus Guides

NEWSFLASH

New, free ‘Academoney’ course from MSE and the Open University launches
All the key areas of personal finance are covered, so that you can master your money decisions

Rated People website

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Praise, Vent & Warnings
355 replies 256.7K views
angryandy_2angryandy_2 Forumite
4 posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Praise, Vent & Warnings
This is a website that puts you in touch with tradespeople. the idea is that you put a review of the work done so that other people can gauge the competence of the tradesperson. The only problem is once you have put a rating for someone they wont change it for any reason. This causes problems when you put a good rating for a job done and then a month later it all starts to fall apart, as has just happened to me. I have spoken to them and they will not do anything about it. If you do use it make sure it is for very simple jobs that can't go wrong a few weeks later. I've just had a tiled floor laid and the tradesmen wont relay it after it has gone wrong and there is no way i can let other customers know.:mad:

Replies

• NileNile Forumite, Board Guide
    14.9K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hello angryandy

Welcome to the MSE site.:wave:

I'll move your thread to 'The (Consumer) Vent' board, where it will get more views.

Hi, Martin’s asked me to post this in these circumstances: I’ve asked Board Guides to move threads if they’ll receive a better response elsewhere(please see this rule) so this post/thread has been moved to another board, where it should get more replies. If you have any questions about this policy please email [EMAIL="abuse@moneysavingexpert.com"][email protected][/EMAIL].

Regards

Nile
    Hi, I'm the Board Guide on the In my home (includes DIY) and the I wanna buy-it or do-it boards which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. However, do remember that Board Guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to [email protected]. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com.

10 Dec 2007 - Led Zeppelin - I was there. :j :cool2: I wear my 50 (gold/red/white) blood donations pin badge with pride. Give blood, save a life.
  • Rex_MundiRex_Mundi Forumite
    6.3K posts
    Not specific about this site, but I don't know how anyone can trust a website using online recommendations for tradespeople. A tradesman could have 50 good reports on a website, but all of these could have come from him/herself or family and friends (this is very easy to set up on even one computer).

If you are not sure, always better to get a personal recommendation from family/friends, and if possible, see an example of their work first.
    How many surrealists does it take to change a lightbulb?
    Fish
  • ToiletduckToiletduck Forumite
    181 posts
    Rex_Mundi wrote: »
    Not specific about this site, but I don't know how anyone can trust a website using online recommendations for tradespeople. A tradesman could have 50 good reports on a website, but all of these could have come from him/herself or family and friends (this is very easy to set up on even one computer).

If you are not sure, always better to get a personal recommendation from family/friends, and if possible, see an example of their work first.

Hi,

Ive used the website a couple of times with no problems. Obviously a recomendation from family or friends is best but if you dont have any for the job you want I find it better than simply using small ads in the paper. ITs true that they could easily fake the reviews but they do have to pay a fee to get your job details so it would cost them money to fake reviews. Both the people Ive used have taken me to see previous jobs after quoting for me which was good.

Andy
  • my point is that you cant add details later if things start going wrong, i dont doubt that there are good people on it. My floor in the bathroom started cracking and that took a few weeks to start, by then i had already given the review and there is nothing i can do to warn people. This is not about doing fake reviews, though that is possible.
  • baldelectricianbaldelectrician Forumite
    2.5K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    For electrics, there is a few places that list vetted electricians.
    These companies have a complaints procedure,
    You should use a competent person for the work, links below
    In Scotland:
    Individuals regitered;
    http://www.sbsa.gov.uk/register/ListAC.asp
    Companies
    http://www.sbsa.gov.uk/register/SearchCo.asp?T=Construction&ID=2
    In England and Wales:
    http://www.competentperson.co.uk
    baldly going on...
  • could you not add a new review?
    Baby Milk Action is a non-profit organisation which aims to save lives and to end the avoidable suffering caused by inappropriate infant feeding.
  • thats my point, they wont let you add a new review, they say its an IT issue and system wont let you do it. Believe me I have tried.
  • pinkshoespinkshoes Forumite
    17.4K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't trust the "touchlocal" website for reviews either, but for the opposite reason that they seem to take off negative reviews!

Someone I know wrote a review for a disasterous wedding at a hotel (honeymoon suite that had been reserved for over a year and hotel gave it to someone else but didn't tell them until wedding night when bride and groom were shown to a different room, and buffet ran out with 3 tables still to go, and despite buffet served by hotel staff, they claimed the bride and groom hadn't paid for any more food so that was it, even though they'd paid for a buffet for an exact number of people!!), but this review disappeared a day later, replaced with glowing reports about the hotel in question!!

I would never use touch local for a review again.
    Should've = Should HAVE (not 'of')
    Would've = Would HAVE (not 'of')

No, I am not perfect, but yes I do judge people on their use of basic English language. If you didn't know the above, then learn it! (If English is your second language, then you are forgiven!)
  • edited 10 October 2009 at 8:56AM
    hollydayshollydays Forumite
    19.6K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 10 October 2009 at 8:56AM
    Re the"guild of master crafstmen",quite a few years ago my business was approached by them to join,my business required no skill at all....

(Edit-if you wonder why I seem to be talking to myself-its because one poster has removed all his posts,after being challenged.)
  • hollydayshollydays Forumite
    19.6K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    quote=yourlocaltrades;10567377]Take it you never joined then!

I remember the 118 trades a while back-That was my worst nightmare! talk about help yourself to my credit card! Thank god thats gone!![/quote]

Correct.There is no way my business involved being a master of a craft,and I didn't need to buy myself into respectibility.
    I see that the Guild of Master Craftsmen accept retailers (and people in the service industry)into their organization, for example, a suitcase shop called "the Luggage Centre" in London,this puzzles me,can you explain it?I get the impression that anyone can buy their way in, (about £350 I think),while the name suggests otherwise. I don't understand why you have included them.
This discussion has been closed.

Quick links

Essential Money | Who & Where are you? | Work & Benefits | Household and travel | Shopping & Freebies | About MSE | The MoneySavers Arms | Covid-19 & Coronavirus Support