Rated People website

Options

Comments

• hollydays
    hollydays Posts: 19,812 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    No,it doesn't make sense.I think you are backtracking.
    Either you are promoting them,as a reputable organization who vet properly,or you don't mention them.......You have listed them on your website too....you are the one who is giving them credibility by doing that.
  • hollydays
    Options
    I don't think a person that sells luggage is a Master Craftsman.

I don't think a company that flogs you a logo for £350 so you can call yourself one,is a company I would trust.

I would also be suspect of anyone who thinks that is a "usefull "so-called trade association,and recommends them.
  • hollydays
    Options
    It follows that if they are prepared to allow retailers to call themselves craftsmen,they are presumably happy to let any cowboy builder do the same.
  • Rex_Mundi
    Rex_Mundi Posts: 6,315 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    That is why feedback is vital!

Feedback on a website of trades people can be easily manipulated (like I said in my previous post). It's the same as putting a question on these boards and receiving half a dozen different answers. Untill you check the answers out for yourself, you can never be too sure who is correct. Unfortunately, finding out a builder is no good after finding him/her off a website could cost you many 1000s (or tens of 1000s) At least Martin is honest and has a disclaimer for the info posted on the forums (and tries to make us aware of this), quote............Remember, this is an open forum! Anyone can post so always exercise caution when acting on info.

Any website that advertises/recommends trades is very much open to abuse from any tradesperson that advertises there, or from the site owners in the chase for a quick buck (feedback or not, this is far too easy to abuse on the Internet). If possible at all, I would always suggest that you get recommendations from friends/family/nieghbours for a builder that they have dealt with personally.
    How many surrealists does it take to change a lightbulb?
    Fish
  • Rex_Mundi
    Rex_Mundi Posts: 6,315 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    We do say that even though we have done what we can, we advise that they too(the consumer) ask tradespeople for documentation etc,

In one previous post you extolled the benefits of feedback (That is why feedback is vital!........your words) on a website based recommendation system for tradesmen, yet now also, you say you disclaim any responsibility for the content of your site when you are trying to recommend people? This shows to me the failings (big time) for a web based recommendation site for trades. There is NO WAY to find out if the recommendation is fair/true/honest untill it's too late. Like I said, this could cost a person MANY 1000s of pounds.

You might as well chance your luck on a pick from the Yellow Pages as to take a websites (possibly vested interest) advert for a builder.
    How many surrealists does it take to change a lightbulb?
    Fish
  • hollydays
    Options
    Yet, you could have found out these things very easily yourself,simply by looking at (vetting),the Guild of Master Craftsmen site.It's not hidden.........I wonder why you didn't vet them?
  • sparky883
    sparky883 Posts: 309 Forumite
    Options
    as a company owner myself the following points should be noted-We joined "rated tradesmen" last summer-we joined online and paid a quarterly membership fee of £50 and approx £10 per lead,We were not vetted and were supplied with as many leads as we were willing to pay for,telephoning the customers and telling them we were members of rated tradesmen,alot of work was generated with most people believing we were "the best of the best" with no vetting in place this is unable to prove we are no longer members as there are lots of companys doing the same thing,taking money from tradesmen for not doing much. To me they are similar to employment agencys taking a cut,We as a company are unable to get our google listing high on the natural listings because for eg "plumbers in birmingham" the first page is full of directories and sites that will only pass on your details if a fee is paid by tradesmen-My advice stick to companys with their own website,full address,local phone numbers(bear in mind i can purchase a local telephone code) eg We used to sub-contract to another Birmingham plumbing company for 45% of the total customer invoice they had a local number (0121) but were based in Devon they simply phoned us-Admittidly it is diffult for the customer but by asking a few simple questions Are they local? do they know landmarks in the city,What time will they arrive? if they dont know or say will call you back its because they need to check their sub-contractors in the area are available,In my opion trade bodies are also a waste of time i could spend £2000 today and join them all,Theres also alot of confusion as an Electrician i am always being asked if we are CORGI registered(which is for gas) or other times for accociations ive never heard off and find this quite amusing !!
    OH THE JOYS OF BEING SELF-EMPLOYED!! Can Travel,Will Work For Free!
  • hollydays
    Options
    sparky883 wrote: »
    as a company owner myself the following points should be noted-We joined "rated tradesmen" last summer-we joined online and paid a quarterly membership fee of £50 and approx £10 per lead,We were not vetted and were supplied with as many leads as we were willing to pay for,telephoning the customers and telling them we were members of rated tradesmen,alot of work was generated with most people believing we were "the best of the best" with no vetting in place this is unable to prove we are no longer members as there are lots of companys doing the same thing,taking money from tradesmen for not doing much. To me they are similar to employment agencys taking a cut,We as a company are unable to get our google listing high on the natural listings because for eg "plumbers in birmingham" the first page is full of directories and sites that will only pass on your details if a fee is paid by tradesmen-My advice stick to companys with their own website,full address,local phone numbers(bear in mind i can purchase a local telephone code) eg We used to sub-contract to another Birmingham plumbing company for 45% of the total customer invoice they had a local number (0121) but were based in Devon they simply phoned us-Admittidly it is diffult for the customer but by asking a few simple questions Are they local? do they know landmarks in the city,What time will they arrive? if they dont know or say will call you back its because they need to check their sub-contractors in the area are available,In my opion trade bodies are also a waste of time i could spend £2000 today and join them all,Theres also alot of confusion as an Electrician i am always being asked if we are CORGI registered(which is for gas) or other times for accociations ive never heard off and find this quite amusing !!

This confirms what i have read about the Guild Of Master Craftsmen too,from people who have payed too join them.

Its all about the money..surprise suprise..
  • denthetiler
    Options
    I am sorry to read that some people may have had trouble with 'tradesmen' from the Rated People webiste. May i clear up some issues. I use this website regulaly to source work for my business and it is one of the most expensive to advertise with. I pay yearly fees, i get charged for txt messages and i pay a lot to quote for jobs that i may or may not get. I doubt people are using friends and family as it would cost a fortune to place bids for ficticous jobs. This month alone i have spent almost £120 bidding for jobs. Can i also add that there are a lot of good, very skilled tradesmen around and you have to be prepared to pay for them.
  • Ottokar_2
    Options
    Dear Andy, I work for Rated People, so I am sorry to hear that you weren't quite happy with the service from us. Ratings are very important to us and we believe they are the best information to let you judge for yourself whether a tradesperson is right for the job. We don't let customers rate more than once and we don't let tradespeople respond more than once, in order to provide a fair reflection of a tradesperson's work. I understand that some jobs only show their true worth over time, as in your example. I will take this as feedback into our development process to understand what we can do about that, as we continue to work on imrpovements to the system.
    Regards,
    Ottokar
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family