• baldelectrician
    Options
    Who supplied the toilet?
    baldly going on...
  • bigbear1
    bigbear1 Posts: 28 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I have lost all faith in the website rated people. I found a team of guys or should i say they found me after i posted a job, they were incompetent,did shoddy work they left gloss paint all over my wooden floor and oak table and fireplace. I have since had to hire some else to finish the job ( attaching skirting boards, re attaching 7 radiators and a sink and cistern, rehanging doors and fitting door handles )as they left the job unfinished. The last time we heard from them was the 28th dec when they told us their car had broken down. They will not answer emails or phone calls. I left feed back regarding the job and it was rejected ( apparently because i named the company in my feedback), i submitted it again omitting all names and yet again it has been rejected. I intend to write to rated people to tell them exactly what i think of them withdrawing negative feedback.:mad:
  • Lotuspete
    Options
    Can anyone tell me how you check feedback on the rated people website ?
    I have just has a shower installed by a cowboy calling himself a plumber and
    never checked his feedback, when i log into the site it now has no details of the job i posted. I just wanted to see what other people had to say about this cowboy.
    but don't know how to check his feedback without posting a new job.

Pete.:confused:
  • hollydays
    hollydays Posts: 19,812 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    http://www.ratedpeople.com/ratingsGuide#4

Apparently this is what should happen when your rating is rejected.Perhaps you could contact them to discuss for which of these reasons it was rejected?

BIGBEAR,Did they not contact you asking you to repost within their guidelines?

I don't understand how you can rate someone without naming the company!!!

I notice rated people claim to be rated themselves as number 1 by Alexa rankings,which according to others are easily manipulated..
  • Dear all,

It's Sophie from Rated People here. I've noticed that a few of you are wondering about how our ratings policy works and why it is that some ratings get rejected.

Please be assured that we accept all types of feedback whether it's positive or negative.

Rated People only removes ratings in limited and specific circumstances. Once you post a rating, it is reviewed by Rated People's rating system and in almost all cases will be posted for other members to read. However, occasionally a rating might be rejected because:

• A rating may reveal personal contact details like names, company names or telephone numbers.
    • A rating might be threatening, racist, obscene, discriminatory, or defamatory.
    • A rating might not relate to the job.
    It's sensible to ask why we would reject ratings that include company names. We reject ratings with company names because of privacy. As we publish live ratings on our homepage, we believe that company names should not be accepted by our ratings system.

When you use Rated People, you get matched to up to three tradespeople and you get to know their company names anyway - you can check their ratings and decide whether you want to use them or not. It's therefore not necessary for us to publish full company or customer names in any other way.

We believe that our rating system is one of the most solid out there, because it's directly associated with the two parties involved. You would never be able to rate a tradesperson you had not had direct dealings with.

There is no way that a tradesperson can give themselves a rating. Tradespeople use our service to manage a steady flow of work as it puts them in touch with work that they might not otherwise have heard about. They believe that good ratings will boost their reputation and therefore increase their workload so there is no motivation for them to give themselves false ratings - even if it were possible- as they'd be quickly found out.

It would also be impossible to corrupt the rating system because we match customers to tradespeople on variables associated to the job not the individual.

I hope that this has cleared things up for everyone, if you're having trouble leaving a negative rating, here are a few examples that I've taken from the site today which might give you an idea of what to say for it to get passed by our system:

“Confirmed appointment was booked, but company unilaterally cancelled this without informing us. Having cleared work and access with neighbours, such unreliability was very annoying.”

“He missed three appointments, and also pretended that he had sent us a quote which he said must have got lost in the mail.

After the third missed appointment we found it impossible to get hold of him on the phone. When we called his evening number they said he wasn't at that address any more.

Don't bother.”

“I have rated this as "not bad" because the actual stopcock did not work, but Mike was a clean and tidy worker.

Mike gave a quote over the phone for the job, turned up to do the work reasonably within time, completed the work, said he'd checked it was working, didn't leave any mess, was paid and left. I wanted to rate him, so decided to test the SC myself, only it wasn't working (within an hour of it being fitted). Phoned Mike who said that he would look at it when he did some other work for me that I had asked him to quote for. Unfortunately, the quote did not arrive, although Mike emailed me stating that an "estimate" was attached (it wasn't). I emailed him back, explaining that there had been a delay in the other work, and in the light of that I'd like him to contact me to arrange to finish the SC job. He got back to me several days later, explained that his internet connection was down, and said I should have phoned (I could have and chose not to). By that stage I'd already had another plumber out, but without knowing that fact, Mike said that he would put a stopcock in the kitchen for no charge when he carried out the other work I had asked him to quote for. I pointed out I hadn't received a quote, nor the estimate his email said was attached.

I can't fault Mike for offering to fix the issue for no further charge, however, I had already posted the other job online for further quotes, so it was not likely that I'd be engaging him to do any further work for me and therefore, despite having paid for a working stopcock, what I actually got was a stopcock that was just as useless as the isolation valve it was supposed to replace. In reality ensuring the stopcock worked should not have been linked to having further work carried out by Mike. I did, after all, pay for the work that he did, which ultimately didn't do what it was supposed to do."

Hope this helps.

Many Thanks,

Sophie
    Official Company Representative
    I am the official company representative of Rated People. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to abuse@moneysavingexpert.com"
  • hollydays
    hollydays Posts: 19,812 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    So these latest reviews you list,how long have they been posted on your site?
    Has anyone else previously seen these negative type of reviews on the site?
  • hollydays wrote: »
    So these latest reviews you list,how long have they been posted on your site?
    Has anyone else previously seen these negative type of reviews on the site?

Hi there, I've looked in to when the ratings I gave you as examples were posted and here are the results:

“I have rated this as "not bad" because the actual stopcock did not work, but Mike was a clean and tidy worker.

Mike gave a quote over the phone for the job, turned up to do the work reasonably within time, completed the work, said he'd checked it was working, didn't leave any mess, was paid and left. I wanted to rate him, so decided to test the SC myself, only it wasn't working (within an hour of it being fitted). Phoned Mike who said that he would look at it when he did some other work for me that I had asked him to quote for. Unfortunately, the quote did not arrive, although Mike emailed me stating that an "estimate" was attached (it wasn't). I emailed him back, explaining that there had been a delay in the other work, and in the light of that I'd like him to contact me to arrange to finish the SC job. He got back to me several days later, explained that his internet connection was down, and said I should have phoned (I could have and chose not to). By that stage I'd already had another plumber out, but without knowing that fact, Mike said that he would put a stopcock in the kitchen for no charge when he carried out the other work I had asked him to quote for. I pointed out I hadn't received a quote, nor the estimate his email said was attached.

I can't fault Mike for offering to fix the issue for no further charge, however, I had already posted the other job online for further quotes, so it was not likely that I'd be engaging him to do any further work for me and therefore, despite having paid for a working stopcock, what I actually got was a stopcock that was just as useless as the isolation valve it was supposed to replace. In reality ensuring the stopcock worked should not have been linked to having further work carried out by Mike. I did, after all, pay for the work that he did, which ultimately didn't do what it was supposed to do.

[FONT=&quot]01/12/08[/FONT]

“He missed three appointments, and also pretended that he had sent us a quote which he said must have got lost in the mail.

After the third missed appointment we found it impossible to get hold of him on the phone. When we called his evening number they said he wasn't at that address any more.

Don't bother.”
    [FONT=&quot]03/12/08[/FONT]

“Confirmed appointment was booked, but company unilaterally cancelled this without informing us. Having cleared work and access with neighbours, such unreliability was very annoying.”

[FONT=&quot]06/12/08[/FONT]

It would be really good to hear from anyone in this forum who has used Rated People and seen a negative rating because, due to our closed system, I am unable to verify who of our members have left negative ratings.

I can definitely assure you however that these ratings are live and in our system so they have definitely been seen by registered members who use our site to find tradespeople.

I hope that this has helped you believe in what we do! If there is any way you think we can improve I'd be really happy to see what I can do.

Kind regards,

Sophie, Rated People

Official Company Representative
    I am the official company representative of Rated People. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to abuse@moneysavingexpert.com"
  • brixtonsaint
    Options
    ratedpeople.com obviously has a problem with unscrupulous competitors or is making up jobs itself. Tradesman are sent contact details of customers which they pay for. The cost is dependent on the value of the job. I and it seems other are being sent details which are non existent. Phone calls end in a blank tone and emails bounce back.
    Speaking to ratedpeople.com they say the best they can do is offer a credit which is no good if you paid £30 for a job +VAT and then the credit job is only worth £7. This they say is their policy. Not good for struggling tradepeople who want to earn a crust at all. Well there are reliable, clean, efficient tradespeople out there who thought ratedpeople and the like would be an avenue to customers who wanted treating in a correct manner. Unfortunately there seems to be another bunch of cowboys in our midst.
  • dacouch
    dacouch Posts: 21,637 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I've just had a look at their website, Sophie reckons a tradesman can't manipulate the ratings....

mmmMMMmmm it does not take a rocket scientist to work out how to do it, I can't believe Sophie can honestly say it can't be manipulated. I wouldn't be surprised if the way I have worked out how to manipulate it (Didn't take much thought) is connected with why you get the dead telephone numbers and email addresses.

If you wanted to get good ratings, you pose as a customer, either give your mates contact details or more likely make them up with ficticious contact details (I've just joined as Mr Paddy O'Furniture) post a job that is likely to be sent through to you as its your trade and in your area. The chances are you'll get offered the job or after a few posts you will and hey presto you can leave fed back.

I won't post any jobs as it obviously costs the builders money to reply.

This is probably why you got the job or jobs sent through with a telephone number that does not exist. (My post has a made up number in it)

They could reduce this a bit by ringing the number to confirm it exists but you could still abuse their system.

So I would personally treat the ratings with some caution as they are not 100% fail proof. Probably better than most sites but still open to abuse.

I expect Sophie will be along some time soon with an answer.
  • monkeydust_2
    Options
    surley only people who have used a tradeperson should be able to leave a review (this needs to verified by the exchange i.e. ratedpeople or whoever)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure