Las Vegas Hotels - Help!

Options

Comments

• jenpoptab
    jenpoptab Posts: 1,224 Forumite
    Options
    I stayed at MGM which is great but rather big, would stay at Luxor if I was to go again, as Dad stayed there and was fantastic.
    WW Gold Member, trying to maintain !!!
    Hayden born July 07
    Tabitha born April 05
    Poppy born July 03
  • IvanOpinion
    IvanOpinion Posts: 22,211 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    I love Las Vegas ...we have stayed in several hotels and the one that I got the best deal at was the Imperial Hotel which was centre strip. To give you an idea we went Mon to Wed and the price included room, breakfast buffet for 2 mornings, 1 evening meal, entry into the Legends show and a few other bits and pieces and it came through on my credit card for the princely sum of £22.54 (ish) (and that was for both of us).

Some useful links
    http://www.cheapovegas.com/index.php.
    http://www.lasvegasinsider.com/101/index.htm

I used to have a link to a chap that scoured the local newspapers and posted all the deals including the required offer codes onto his site - but I can't find it at the minute (it was thru his site that we got the above offer).

Try scanning the web for Las Vegas newspapers and look in them for offers - then simply phone the hotel and make your booking.

Ivan
    Past caring about first world problems.
  • tweetie_2
    tweetie_2 Posts: 60 Forumite
    Options
    Hi All - thanks for all the posts - i'm overwhelmed!

I'm looking to go the very end of May for 2 weeks and i dont have a specific budget in mind but have been quoted £900 for the luxor (flying from manchester - i stay in Glasgow though) and around £450 for flights if i do it seperatly. Still looking about as that doesnt seem v cheap to me. I would love to stay in one of the main big hotels it just depends on price really! And i'm not too fussed about the gambling (why am i going again...?!) but my hubby would probably like to do that.

Any ideas would be very welcome!
  • Sheel
    Sheel Posts: 45,671 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Hi tweetie

Are you sure you want to go for 2 weeks? Others may say different , but I think a week is long enough in Vegas. The first time we went ,we had a week in Vegas and then had 3 nights in New York and the other times just had a week there.

We didn't go for the gambling either , the main reason was to go to the Grand Canyon which we've done each time and is a must IMO , although I have to admit I do enjoy going on the slot machines!

If you're going at the end of May , the 29th is Memorial Day so will probably be very busy with a lot of Americans coming down for the break.
    Same old same old since 2008

• sparky61
    sparky61 Posts: 10,422 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I stayed at the Luxor in May last year and had a fantastic time.
    The temperature reached 100 degrees at the pool, towels supplied.
    The staff are really friendly, food great and cheap, also a food court upstairs for fast food, coffees etc.
    We stayed in the pyramid, the inclinator is fun, you have to show your room pass to use it.
    Helicoptor trip over the strip at night was great too.
    Wherever you stay have a great time.
    :D
  • tweetie_2
    Options
    Hi there thanks again for even more replies!

was thinking of the 2 weeks as the price doesnt seem to be too much more and it takes so long to get there! was poss thinking of going to LA for a day or so? dont know if its close enough to do that, could poss stay a day or two? have looked into the 2/3 city thing but not sure, as although i would love to go to NY (never been) dont know if its too much travelling? any advice very welcome
  • djrobmac
    djrobmac Posts: 414 Forumite
    Options
    Ok here goes.

There is only one way to do vegas and save money!

PRICELINE PRICELINE PRICELINE PRICELINE PRICELINE

You need to do your homework but you can pay a fraction of the price of any hotel in the whole of the USA and beyond.

Basically this is your plan of action :

1) Book a hotel at your destination that you can cancel with no penalty. This is your backup plan (always keep an eye out for a better deal but make sure you have one backup Hotel that you can cancel)

2) Check out in depth and study http://p070.ezboard.com/fpricelineandexpediabiddinglasvegas and http://www.betterbidding.com/index.php?act=SF&f=115& DONT BE AFRAID TO ASK FOR HELP ON THESE BOARDS BUT NEVER SAY YOU'LL USE THE UK PRICELINE SITE!

3) Be patient and wait until a few weeks before your holiday.

3) Work out how much the hotels are going for in the forum and convert the prices to £££'s

4) Go to https://www.priceline.co.uk and get excited.

Its very exciting and if you do your homework you can narrow down the hotel your going to get. The best thing about Las Vegas is that there are only two 5 star hotels in 'The Strip' that Priceline use so if you get a successful bid then you WILL be in either - The Venitian or The Bellagio

Hope this helps! But Shhhhhhhh keep it a secret ;)

I would def suggest that you stop off in New York on the way back. Many Airlines will allow you to have a free stop over. Thats what I did when I went in December last year and it was fantastic. Used Priceline for the New York hotel too :T

To Give you an Idea on Price:

Flights cost me £309 in total each (2 travelling) with Continental:

Out Bound 5th Dec 2004:
    Gatwick-London then change at Houston Intercontinental-Houston Arrive Mccarran Int'l-Las Vegas

Then 10th Dec 2004:
    NMccarran Int'l-Las Vegas Arrive Newark Int'l-New York

In Bound 15th Dec 2004:
    Newark Int'l-New York Arrive Gatwick-London

VEGAS HOTEL: Venitian @ £65 inclusive of Tax a night

NEW YORK HOTEL: Embassy Suites Hotel New York [url]tp://www.embassynewyork.com/[/url] @ £85 inclusive of Tax a night B&B with free alcohol in the bar for an hour every evening!!!! This really shows off how good Priceline can be.
    Check out the rating its got http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotels-g60763-New_York_City_New_York-Hotels.html at the time of writing it's number 7 out of the 326 hotels in New York....not bad for £85 squid all in.

YOU CAN NEVER BE SURE OF WHAT HOTEL YOUR GOING TO GET ON PRICELINE BUT DO YOUR HOMEWORK AND KEEP FINGERS CROSSED!
    Hardcore moneysaver
  • Sheel
    Sheel Posts: 45,671 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Unless you're going to get a direct flight I don't think doing a 2 centre holiday is too much travelling personally , like when we went to NY we were going via Newark anyway so thought we may as well stay in NY for a few days.

As to LA , i've never been myself , but I know a lot of people who have and say it's not very nice undecided.gif Heard and read a lot of good things about San Fransisco though.
    Same old same old since 2008

• IvanOpinion
    IvanOpinion Posts: 22,211 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Been to LA many times although we normally stay on the south side at Manhatten Beach. The problem is that it is about a 5-8 hour drive away. You might be better considering a flight rather than driving. You do have Universal Stdios, DisneyLand (?), Knottsberry Farm, Magic Mountain, Ripleys Believe it or not, The goose ( :eek: ), Venice Beach etc. etc.

Also, don't rule out San Diego for Sea World, San Diego Zoo, a quick jaunt across the border into Tjiuana, Roserita or Ensenada.

Or even consider Boston for a stop over on the way back (it will be nice when they get it finished).

Ivan
    Past caring about first world problems.
  • blindman
    blindman Posts: 5,659 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Old Vegas Thread

Older vegas Thread

Probably more if you do a search.

Vegas:
    Hotels:
    I personnally don't think priceline is always the best way to go in Vegas.
    Sign up to many of the hotel web-sites email and you'll get details in advance of offers that can beat PL.

We all have our favourites for one reason or another, do you want location, price or ambience?

Some good suggestions so far.

How to book?
    DIY the flights and accomodation, saves loads a money!

How Long?
    Yes I would fly to USA for 2 weeks but would not stay in Vegas longer than say 4 days total.

LAX is about 200 miles away from LAS so bank on about a 4 hr drive. It is HUGE so plan to spend about 3 days here minimum.

I would try to stop off enroute to\from US if possible, New York being the obvious stop, though Boston is nice (though not a major hub)

IMHO best to stop off on the way OUT as you 'make up time' flying East to West so have more time to enjoy in New York and LAS.
    When you fly back, do the whole trip without a stopover as you lose time, though because you'll be sleeping (hopefully) this won't matter.

Have a brill time.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport