TV Licence article Discussion

Options

Comments

1005922 Posts: 176 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    That's all they do just send threats, I've been getting them for 3 years now and no visits from them yet that I'm aware of
  • calleyw
    calleyw Posts: 9,824 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    1005922 wrote: »
    That's all they do just send threats, I've been getting them for 3 years now and no visits from them yet that I'm aware of

They do visit. In approx 20 years had two visits.

Yours

Calley x
    Hope for everything and expect nothing!!!

Good enough is almost always good enough -Prof Barry Schwartz

If it scares you, it might be a good thing to try -Seth Godin
    Options
    Well at that rate I have another 6 years before the 1st visit then lol
  • Cornucopia
    Cornucopia Posts: 16,164 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    I live abroad for between 4 and 6 months a year.
    In the last two years (2017 & 2018) I tried to recover the full months that I was away. On both occasions I was refused a rebate because I was due to return to the UK less than one month before my licence was due to run out and would therefore require a licence for that period!
    You're under no obligation to tell them when you think you'll be back, so I would suggest not doing so. In fact, it's easier, when you cancel a TV Licence for a legitimate reason just to tell them that you have decided to cease watching TV broadcasts and iPlayer.
    They are now threatening me with an "Enforcement Officer" visit on the 17th. July with the possibility of a £1,000 fine.
    These are their standard enforcement letters. They aren't personal to you, and they don't mean a great deal.
  • cw18
    cw18 Posts: 8,622 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    1005922 wrote: »
    calleyw wrote: »
    They do visit. In approx 20 years had two visits.
    It's now 15 months since I failed to fill in a declaration when asked if my situation had changed, and that started all the threatening letters. About 6 months ago (?) I came home from work to find a calling card from one of their chaps, which said he'd call again. He hasn't - or if he has he didn't leave another card.
    Cheryl
    Options
    I send their letters back marked with not interested on the front in red, they all come addressed to the legal occupier
  • Suffol
    Suffol Posts: 45 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi, quick question

I don't have a TV licence at home - so am careful only to watch Netflix Amazon etc and non-BBC catch-up. I travel a lot (mostly within the UK) for work, and watch the same kind of stuff (non-BBC) while on trains on my phone or laptop. In hotels, I do take the chance to watch live tv and iPlayer because I always assume that the hotel has its own TV licence.

However, I was talking to someone on the train this week, and he told me that if you only watch iPlayer while *in transit* on trains or in cars, you don't need a TV licence for yourself because you're in transit and not at an address. I read through the TV licensing website, but there's no obvious answer on it.

Does anyone know if this is true? If so, it's a real game-changer for me because of how much time I spend travelling. Also, can anyone confirm or deny my assumption that all hotel TVs are covered by hotel licences?

Many thanks in advance
  • Mr_Singleton
    Mr_Singleton Posts: 1,891 Forumite
    Options
    Very interesting point Re: iPlayer and hotels as you have to log in yet the hotels license would/should cover you.
  • Cornucopia
    Cornucopia Posts: 16,164 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 13 July 2019 at 6:20PM
    Options
    Suffol wrote: »
    However, I was talking to someone on the train this week, and he told me that if you only watch iPlayer while *in transit* on trains or in cars, you don't need a TV licence for yourself because you're in transit and not at an address. I read through the TV licensing website, but there's no obvious answer on it.

Does anyone know if this is true? If so, it's a real game-changer for me because of how much time I spend travelling.
    It's not true in terms of law. You could download iPlayer content while at a Hotel or other Licensed location and then watch it anywhere with/without a Licence.

It's true that if you have a home TV Licence, it covers you to watch TV/iPlayer anywhere on a device powered by its own batteries.
    Also, can anyone confirm or deny my assumption that all hotel TVs are covered by hotel licences?
    Yes, they would not be able to provide TVs to guests unless they were covered by a Licence.
  • wymondham
    wymondham Posts: 6,354 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Mortgage-free Glee!
    edited 16 July 2019 at 7:34AM
    Options
    "It's true that if you have a home TV Licence, it covers you to watch TV/iPlayer anywhere on a device powered by its own batteries."

this more than anything tells me how out of date the licence is. 1950's mentality to police 21st century viewing habits....

When you can be prosecuted for plugging in your tablet charger its gone too far....
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback