3.9K replies 403.2K views

Replies

• SazboSazbo Forumite
    4.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Cornucopia wrote: »

This is what they've announced today:-

- The Licence Fee will be extended to cover "catch-up services for public service broadcasters". I take this to mean BBC1 & 2, ITV1, C4 and Five. Although this makes a certain amount of sense from a regulatory viewpoint, in practice it is a hugely messy compromise which could see C4 programs requiring a Licence and E4 programs not (who knows what will happen to programs that appear on the main channel and are repeated on a non-PSB offshoot channel).

I see that Martin referenced MSE's "Watch TV legally without a licence fee" guide in this week's Money Tips email - but he hasn't updated it to at least make mention of the above - ie, that last month, the Government announced plans to close the very catch-up TV loophole that Martin refers to. They are expected to introduce legislation to that effect next year.

I appreciate that this might be a tricky thing to enforce in practice, as Cornucopia says above, but just thought it would be quite an important thing to at least mention when you're telling people they can do without a licence for catch-up TV; that the rules allowing you to do this are going to change...
    4 May 2010 <3
  • b33rb33r Forumite
    896 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts
    ✭✭✭
    Greytopp wrote: »
    Just a quick question, probably a stupid one too.
    If I set up my TV to delay ALL TV signals into my home by say 3 seconds, would I still have to pay for a TV licence. After all I am not watching any live TV at all.
    Opinions welcomed.

Yes you would still have to pay. The only way you could do this would be some kind of buffering, in which case you are recording it as it is broadcast, requiring a license.
  • I have no licence. I watch live tv, at my sister's. She has a licence. If I watch live tv on my sister's phone outside do I need a licence? What if my sister watches live tv at my house on her mobile, or in the garden?
  • RedSkywalkerRedSkywalker Forumite
    7 Posts
    Part of the Furniture Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Martin is absolutely wrong when he says that "you have to tell the BBC if you don't need a licence" b*llshit!

The BBC have no legal powers whatever to make you tell them anything, either in writing or verbally if they call on you.

Yes, the BBC would love the same powers as the Gestapo enjoyed under Mr Hitler but they don't have them even though they have bullied many people into buying a licence when they didn't even have a tv.

Just tell them to s*d off!
  • cw18cw18 Forumite
    8.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    I have no licence. I watch live tv, at my sister's. She has a licence. If I watch live tv on my sister's phone outside do I need a licence? What if my sister watches live tv at my house on her mobile, or in the garden?
    Your sister can watch on her phone anywhere, provided it's not plugged into anything (including an aerial or a power source). She's covered for this by her home licence. My understanding (and I will be happy to be corrected if I've misread) is that you wouldn't be covered off her property as your home doesn't have a licence. If my OH wants to check anything via his tablet at my house /we work on the basis it's safest for us to be in different rooms so that I can't be accused of watching it.
    Cheryl
    Grocery Budget : January £155. Spent £33.75 in shops + £0.00 from stocks = £32.45
    Grocery Budget : 2021 £1825. Spent £33.75 in shops + £0.00 from stocks = £32.45
  • pineapplepineapple Forumite
    6.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Say you watch live TV on your computer - I used to do this if a storm took out my satellite signal - the only way they would know (apart from you telling them) are:
    a) equipment that would detect this
    b) contacting your ISP
    c) a forensic examination of your computer
    How likely is either scenario?

For the record I have a TV and a licence!
  • edited 26 August 2015 at 3:08PM
    b33rb33r Forumite
    896 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts
    ✭✭✭
    edited 26 August 2015 at 3:08PM
    pineapple wrote: »
    Say you watch live TV on your computer - I used to do this if a storm took out my satellite signal - the only way they would know (apart from you telling them) are:
    a) equipment that would detect this
    b) contacting your ISP
    c) a forensic examination of your computer
    How likely is either scenario?

For the record I have a TV and a licence!

a) They don't have any, it's highly doubtful they have any "detection equipment" of any kind, for any device, and all their talk of it is purely scare tactics.
    b) Who'd tell them to get lost without a court order which they wouldn't be able to get as they'd have no evidence.
    c) You could tell them to get lost without a court order which they wouldn't be able to get as they'd have no evidence.

It would be and is incredibly easy to watch live TV and avoid paying a TV license if you didn't want to and avoid any fines or court appearances, you would be however, breaking the law.

For the record, so do I.
  • JimmyTheWigJimmyTheWig Forumite
    12.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    cw18 wrote: »
    My understanding (and I will be happy to be corrected if I've misread) is that you wouldn't be covered off her property as your home doesn't have a licence. If my OH wants to check anything via his tablet at my house /we work on the basis it's safest for us to be in different rooms so that I can't be accused of watching it.
    It's an interesting one, isn't it. What if the guy in front of you on the bus was watching something?
  • My daughter has purchased a tv license for me although I only ever watch two programmes on catch up tv. Never ever live tv.
    I had no television. Faulty connections for one and yet, after a civil discussion explaining that I do not wath television live and that none of my four children watch television in their independent homes as it is generally irrelevant to our lives the male insisted on coming into my house, although I was a lone female over 60 years of age. I refused and he asked if he could just look in the window. I again refused, having nothing to hide but wanting the privacy of my own home.
    I have refused to do on- line forms that I do not watch live television as I do not see that such agencies can require that legally of me. Can they..literally fine me for not filling in the on-line form or use it as evidence against me//
    I did not want them in my home as I was uneasy and mistrustful that yes they would find wiring to connect a tv and I have an old aerial on roof. I had been on line previously to refuse entrance to any of my property but he still entered to knock!
    I was then sent a letter telling me they would be bringing me to court! I would have liked to have gone had I thought for a moment that my innocence would be believed! The harrassment is unbelievable. I do not care if they can't catch illegal viewers of live tv. I am not one and would have welcomed them checking with special technical equipment. My daughter, concerned at my anxiety over this( I am suffering depression) consequently (and to my utter annoyance) bought a TV license! I still never watch live TV!! Since the threat of court action I reluctantly completed a big brother' on- line declaration (yawn). Some us really would rather fight for our rights as innocent victims of a system!! Television is mostly tripe and depressing..life is better without it.. most apart from educational and cultural programmes.
  • jaemacjaemac Forumite
    12 Posts
    You say you don't need a licence if you don't watch or record live television but where does the onus of proof lie? I would like to buy a tv/dvd set just to watch DVD's but I live in a housing association flat with a communal aerial: It is extremely difficult to prove a negative.

At the moment I believe it is up to the authorities to prove that someone is actually guilty of watching but how do they prove it? And if the offence is decriminalised as some people would like and becomes a civil offence will the onus be on the person to prove that they weren't watching?

Also even if you let them know you don't have a set and are not watching illegally they bombard you with threatening letters and bullying tactics.

Just curious as I can watch the dvd's on my laptop but it's not so convenient.