Forum Home» In my home (includes DIY) MoneySaving

TV Licence article Discussion - Page 162

New Post Advanced Search
Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.

TV Licence article Discussion

3.8K replies 390.6K views

Replies

• CornucopiaCornucopia Forumite
    15.4K posts
    Eighth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Every adult occupier of a property is responsible for the TV Licence, and any of them can be prosecuted (it depends on who TVL talk to).
    Ex Board Guide
  • Thanks for clarifying that, looks like I was in the wrong, was not going to let him in but thought i had nothing to hide as it says the following on their website:

I already pay for cable or satellite TV. Do I still need to buy a TV Licence?
    Yes you do if you watch live TV. Whether you receive a TV programme from a cable or satellite provider, through an aerial or via the internet, you need a TV Licence to watch or record live TV.
    Live TV means any programme you watch or record at the same time as it’s being shown on TV or an online TV service.
    If you only ever watch on demand programmes, you don’t need a TV Licence. On demand includes catch-up TV, streaming or downloading programmes after they’ve been shown on live TV, or programmes available online before being shown on live TV.

And this:

Do I need a TV Licence if I only ever watch on demand services (e.g. catch-up TV), DVDs or downloaded programmes?
    No you don’t. As you’re not watching or recording live TV, you don’t need a licence.
    Live TV means any programme you watch or record at the same time as it’s being shown on TV or an online TV service.
    If you only ever watch on demand programmes, you don’t need a TV Licence. On demand includes catch-up TV, streaming or downloading programmes after they’ve been shown on live TV, or programmes available online before being shown on live TV.

How do I prove that we don't watch live tv, i mean the tv was not even on when the guy came in?

Just a bit overwhelmed with it now as thought i was doing the right thing
  • cw18cw18 Forumite
    8.2K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    I think your problem is going to be the 'or record'

As Cornucopia says (and from comments my OH who has Sky has made) it appears the Sky system self records live stuff onto your box, and you have no control over that.
    Cheryl
  • I see, do we know where sky records this stuff too as I don't record that sort of thing and turned off the option of 'on demand plus' (i think its called something like that) that stops it from recording its own programs to the box.

Anyway, am pretty sure now that I probably should have had one now so don't mind setting it back up

Another question is that he said its cheaper doing annual DD as monthly charges £80 odd more over the year, i questioned this as thought at the time that is only for a few months to pay in advance then it balances itself out, he said no thats not the case and its £80 odd more a year, but again after checking this online i seen:

You’ll usually pay for your first year’s TV Licence within the first six months, at around £24 a month. You’ll then pay for your next licence in twelve monthly instalments of just over £12.

Are they on commission or something?

Sorry for all the questions :)
  • cw18cw18 Forumite
    8.2K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    paying quarterly is dearer (by £6 over the year), but that's the only payment option that costs more

I think what he was trying to say (but badly worded to try and get you to cough it all up now) was that by paying up front you pay £145.50 and nothing else in the first year, but if you pay monthly you'll pay £145.50 for the first licence and £72.25 for the second - so will have to find £72.25 more in the first 12 months.
    Cheryl
  • Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.
  • Ok, makes sense, think the wording could have been better when he explained.

Next step is court if I ever receive a court date, I'm thinking best to plead guilty rather than explain why i thought i never needed one as this should reduce the fine

Thanks for the info cw18 and Cornucopia, gives me a better understanding now
  • cw18cw18 Forumite
    8.2K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    If you completed a Direct Debot form to pay for a licence while he was there, I'd be very surprised if they took it any further.
    Cheryl
  • CornucopiaCornucopia Forumite
    15.4K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    cw18 wrote: »
    If you completed a Direct Debot form to pay for a licence while he was there, I'd be very surprised if they took it any further.

I agree.

And even if a Summons does appear, it's not over, not by a long way.
    Ex Board Guide
  • edited 25 August 2015 at 7:49AM
    CornucopiaCornucopia Forumite
    15.4K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 25 August 2015 at 7:49AM
    duggie1982 wrote: »
    I see, do we know where sky records this stuff too as I don't record that sort of thing and turned off the option of 'on demand plus' (i think its called something like that) that stops it from recording its own programs to the box.
    There are two (and a half) issues -

- Live pause records the current channel all the time. You could look into what options there might be for controlling this.

- The box itself is receiving the currently tuned satellite signal and decoding it all the time it is switched on. I think TVL/the Courts would see this as broadcast reception, even if you are not actually watching it.

- Having a TV subscription and not having a Licence is risky in itself, albeit that it is circumstantial. They have subpoenaed information from Sky for Court before.

Part of the problem is that "you need a Licence to watch/record TV broadcasts" is a neat and reasonably clear way of expressing it, but it is not quite the same as the wording in the Law, which uses a lot more words and is quite convoluted, spanning information from several different sources.

The Law talks about installing and using a TV receiver, where a TV receiver is a piece of equipment that is installed or used for the purpose of receiving TV broadcasts. So not only are there elements of installation in the law, but also TVL will present evidence of installation to support charges of use.

By far the best option is to tailor one's AV setup so that it is clearly installed with the intention that it should not be used for receiving TV broadcasts. (Though I accept that as the technology evolves, the number of devices that could be used to receive live streaming is growing). I had to install a URL block on my router when the BBC decided to remotely upgrade my Youview box to add live streaming (where it previously only had catch-up).
    Are they on commission or something?
    Yes, and that makes them dangerous and unpredictable.
    Ex Board Guide
  • LeeUKLeeUK Forumite
    7K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    cw18 wrote: »
    Cornucopia wrote: »
    I agree.

And even if a Summons does appear, it's not over, not by a long way.

I've never dealt with a TVL goon as I don't engage conversation with them. However my understanding is even if you sign up with them for direct debit but then cancel/fail to pay, they'll then issue you a summons. But maybe not if the form wasn't signed. Who knows.