NEW BLOG. Featuring tips and pics from pet owners of the MSE Forum, we present to you Homemade pet toy ideas. Take a look
Cheaper Water Bills Article Discussion
edited 14 June 2010 at 4:19PM in Water bills
492 replies 210K views
Latest MSE News and Guides
Energy Price Cap change
Martin Lewis on what it means for youMSE News
Best £1 you've ever spent?
Share your most impressive bargainsMSE Forum
New MSE Forum avatars available
Try 'em out nowMSE Forum
I already have a dyson washer which cuts down on washing.
I have bought an "ecocamel" showerhead which saves 30% (checked by me). Hardly noticeable compared to normal.
Bought "tap magic" spray nozzles for all taps.
Also got 2 "Save-A-flush" on there way from Northumbrian water.
Total cost around £50 investment which is alot with a £300 water bill.
If I save 1/6th of the water I'll break even in 1 year. This is very likely!
I wish Northumbrian water offered a discount for being under 75 cubic meters. Im just under that before even trying.
I used to go away for weekeneds in a caravan. 3 of us we used to use 25 litres per weekend. In my house, 75000 litres per year is classified as low user.
I live in Dorset ( wessex water) in a 4 bed detached house and my annual bill is £822 for just my wife and myself. Rateable value is £330 and for each £ the charge is £125.76 for water and £119.09 for sewerage. Pretty heavy, huh!
Another way to save, but one that is a lot harder to obtain, is a sewer abatement. Since your sewerage charge is based on 90% of your water charge you have to prove that you re-use a lot more than 10% of your wastewater elsewhere other than return the other 90% to the sewer. By re-use this means not emptying baths, sinks etc and storing the "grey water" to be used for watering the garden etc. It's a hard one to prove and to convince a water company you do this all the time but if you do do this it may be worth a try.
Some water companies might do a "meter options" scheme. This is where they allow you to go on a meter for a fixed period to see how a metered charge measures against the rateable value charge. If you save with a meter stick with it. If not opt-out. However you usually can't switch back very easily later. Although water companies are trying to encourage meter usage so call them to test it out.
From Ofwat's website:
Price Review 2009: Water Company draft business plans
Each water company in England and Wales has submitted their draft business plans to Ofwat. The plans set out each company's initial view of what it needs to do to maintain its assets, improve services to customers and deal with its impact on the environment.
The draft business plans are a key step forward in the process of setting final price limits for the period 2010 – 2015. Final determinations will be published by Ofwat in November 2009.
but do u know they where going to send in a debt letter for the grand sum of £2-00 !!!!!
i just wondered why we cant have a water meter for both uses. fresh n dirty.
Jan 08 - Jul 08 £ 157.11 ( £ 26.19 )
Thus, if you don't regularly check your bills, would have meant Thames Water earning interest on over £ 600 of total monthly overpayments!:eek:
Latest Bill - Jul-Dec 08 - £136.46 ( £ 27.29 )
Andy, did you buy these online and if so where?
www.tapmagic.co.uk Do not fit to baths!!
One other thing occurs to me, we have a storage tank in the loft for cold water as many other modern houses do, now our pipe runs are fairly long around the house so the water tends to get warm while sat in the pipes.
Hence we have to run them for a minute or so to get the cold water at the tap (don't want luke warm water in the kids mouths!) - it strikes me that the building trade has built-in a handy water wasting system here, forcing people to run the taps for longer than they need to!