Cheaper Water Bills Article Discussion

Comments

• moonrakerz
    moonrakerz Posts: 8,650 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    lynxeyes wrote: »
    "So...you are telling me that your bill for something which falls out of the air FOR FREE is going up by 10 percent and my salary has just gone up by 2.3%?" "Yes" they said. Now speechless :huh:

If you want to use "free" water put a big tank in your loft and catch the rain off your roof. If you want your sewage dealt with for "free" buy a composting toilet.

If you want clean, fresh, high quality water piped to you tap and you want your sewage and dirty water piped away and treated, then I am afraid you will have to do like the rest of us and pay for that service !
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    historian wrote: »
    Please explain, someone. Martin has cost of Dwr Cymru metered cost for 1 in 4 bedroomed house at £153. How come I as single in 2 bedroomed bungalow pays £192?
    I am with Dwr Cymru. I had a meter fitted just 4 days ago and I've been watching it.

The major part of the water seems to be the standing charge - at £101/year for me. The water itself is £2.71/unit (I phoned and asked them).

Judging on what I've used so far I expect to pay £90 for water.

Making mine about £191 - so very similar to yours!

Unmetered though, I was paying £40/month, so saving on the ratable value amount.

Martin's figures couldn't have taken account of the standing charge. I am in a studio/bedsit.

Update: Looking again at Martin's grid (source: uswitch), it says a 4-bed house paying £350/year in water. Well they wouldn't. On ratable value they'd pay more. I pay more than that for living in a studio flatlet!
  • PasturesNew
    hotbern wrote: »
    ... I think I've got one of the most expensive water bills.
    £507.94 ... 2 adults and a baby
    At least, even ignoring the baby, it's "only" £253 per adult.
    I live alone in a studio (0 bedrooms) and was paying £400/year.

You've got it cheap!

Get on a meter if you want to get your bills down.
  • PasturesNew
    I'd like to see one simple grid that shows how much each water company charges for standing charge and per cubic meter. So you can directly compare charges and look them up. I actually had to phone the water company this week and ask what their charges were per unit.
  • Message for all Anglia Water customers - Check your yearly water usage.

Reason? My partner and I have just had a 6 month bill for £66 cancelled and replaced with a 6 month bill for £25.

How? If you use less than 75 cubic meters of water per year, you are elligble for Anglia Water's SoLow tarrif which charges slightly more per cubic meter but has no standing charges for supply/sewage disposal.

What we did: - We had just received our 6 monthly bill with a leaflet detailing their 2008/9 charges. When I saw how little we used and details of their alternative tariffs, I called them up and asked to go onto the SoLow tariff. The lady in the call centre was very helpful, transfered us onto the tariff straight away and cancelled the just received bill and replaced it with one based on our new tariff charges.

As simple as that.

Keep on saving money!!! :)
  • Does anyone know if water meters are actually read, or are sometimes estimated? My meter has a little box outside the house, and I have never yet 'caught' anyone reading it.
  • Does anyone know if water meters are actually read, or are sometimes estimated?

If you check your water bill, it should say on it if they have read your meter or if they have only estimated it.

My last bill received, they estimated the first 3 months and read the meter for the second 3 months giving an accurate bill for the 6 months.

If your bills have only been estimated, make sure you call them with a meter reading as you might have been paying for more than you've used.

Conversly, the opposite can be true. I have a friend who always received an estimate for her electricity. They finally came and read the meter after 18 months and she received a bill for £1800 electricity over and above that which she had paid for.

Keep on top or they will srew you down any way they can - they threatened her with disconnection and finally put her on a pre-pay meter.
  • deefadog
    deefadog Posts: 2,190 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Hi all, I know this may be a shot in the dark, but need a very rough estimate.

How much does 1 liter of water cost on a water meter, living in wales. Don't need an accurate figure just a rough price.

Basically, we have had a fault with out hot water cylinder since for over 16 months and it has been overflowing roughly 2 pints a day. I Can't get access to my bills as in work and i am speaking to the House builder this lunch time for compensation.

So roughly 1286 Liters has been wasted and i want the money back as it's there fault.

Hope some one can help as google has not been so kind to me this morning.

EDIT - Just found the info - needed to search for liters not pints :)

It's roughly 20p per liter, so i figure they owe me around £257 :)

Thanks
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,036 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    deefadog wrote: »
    Hi all, I know this may be a shot in the dark, but need a very rough estimate.

How much does 1 liter of water cost on a water meter, living in wales. Don't need an accurate figure just a rough price.

Basically, we have had a fault with out hot water cylinder since for over 16 months and it has been overflowing roughly 2 pints a day. I Can't get access to my bills as in work and i am speaking to the House builder this lunch time for compensation.

So roughly 1286 Liters has been wasted and i want the money back as it's there fault.

Hope some one can help as google has not been so kind to me this morning.

EDIT - Just found the info - needed to search for liters not pints :)

It's roughly 20p per liter, so i figure they owe me around £257 :)

Thanks

A cubic meter of water is 1,000 litres.

I don't know the price of water where you live, but an average price including sewerage is about £2 for a cubic meter, so you have lost approx £2 if your figure of 1286 litres was correct.

However 2 pints a day for 16 months is more like 560 litres so your loss is probably about £1

20p a litre:eek: that is about 100 times too much! 5 litres for 1p is more like it!
  • phead
    phead Posts: 214 Forumite
    Garage_Rat wrote: »
    How? If you use less than 75 cubic meters of water per year, you are elligble for Anglia Water's SoLow tarrif which charges slightly more per cubic meter but has no standing charges for supply/sewage disposal.

Thanks for that, reduces my bill from about £160 to £100 per year :T:T:T

Now all I need is a good thunderstorm to fill the barrels!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback