PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

I am in love with my Panasonic breadmaker

Options

Comments

• Ticklemouse
    Ticklemouse Posts: 5,030 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Squeaky - the Russell Hobbs Ultimate which I have is fab too - has the automatic nut dispenser etc. Also, it is still on offer at Argos for £66.65, but you can get it cheaper online if you are prepared to wait a couple of weeks (£57 i think) Obviously I can't compare it directly to the Panasonic, but the online reviews are good, so it's in the same league. Also does fab light bread and scrummy cakes. Haven't tried the jam yet, but may do this week.

I have a cheapo cookworks one and the difference in the quality of bread is unbelievable. Trust me, I'm an Ol' Styler :D
  • abwsco
    abwsco Posts: 979 Forumite
    Options
    Apologies as I'm sure it's been asked 1000's of times before but does it really save money getting a breadmaker. Husband thinks it's just another gadget I want, but given the amount of bread we go through with 2 children and their friends I'm sure it would be a good gadget to get.
  • Ticklemouse
    Ticklemouse Posts: 5,030 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    abwsco wrote:
    Apologies as I'm sure it's been asked 1000's of times before but does it really save money getting a breadmaker. Husband thinks it's just another gadget I want, but given the amount of bread we go through with 2 children and their friends I'm sure it would be a good gadget to get.

Even if it doesn't save you money - tell your dh that the quality is better and you are not pumping yourselves full of all the chemicals they put in shop bread. I'm sure that if you like decent bread, then it will pay for itself after a while, but that wasn't the concern for me.
  • abwsco
    abwsco Posts: 979 Forumite
    Options
    Even if it doesn't save you money - tell your dh that the quality is better and you are not pumping yourselves full of all the chemicals they put in shop bread.

That is something else that concerns me as well. Think I'll make him read the threads on here.
  • squeaky
    squeaky Posts: 14,129 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Cost per loaf depends very much on the size of loaf your breadmaker does, the recipe you use and the offers you might find on the ingredients; but I find that my average loaf costs me between thirty and forty pence and, due to some great tips here on Old Style, that cost is going to be even lower.

You can best point your OH at our main breadmaking thread which you can browse at your leisure for recommends discussion etc or hit the index for tips and recipes only, by
    following the clue though our Indexed Collections in my signature any time you see it or...

..you can use the Indexed Collections link in the Blue Bar at the top of every page which looks something like this:-

pagetop.gif

..and if those don't work just do a search using "breadmaker" (without the quotes) to find a whole lot more help. Er, justification :)
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
  • SomersetPrincess
    Options
    Just another vote for the wonderful, super-super Panasonic Bread Machine (with dispenser). I didnt use it for a year since moving from London, as it was sitting in my exes loft, but since OH and I have moved it now sits proudly on the cunter top with the coffee maker and slow cooker and gets used every other day to make a basic white or wholemeal loaf. OH actualy emails me now to say "these sandwiches are amazing" - homemade bread with cheese and salad - nothing special but he loves them. I dont think the machine saves us any money reallym as we used to eat the value bread, but the taste is so much better and I konw exactly what is going in it too - everyone must have one he he!
    Kirsty, Taunton, xxx
  • raeble
    raeble Posts: 911 Forumite
    Options
    squeaky wrote:
    I've got a cheap and cheerfull Hinari from Asda and it did, to be honest, take me a good while to learn how to get the best from it. I'm VERY tempted, after all the rave reviews of the MR and the Panasonic to do an upgrade... but since I'm getting perfectly reasonable bread out of mine now - please can you tell me how I can justify the change?
    I'm in the same boat, with breadmaker envy. I've tried to look for ways to justify it to myself but I can't really. So I'm doing without after all it is supposed to be about money saving as opposed to money spending. The bread out of my breadmaker tastes better than the shop bought stuff so it will have to do for now. I know everyone says that the bread from a panasonic is soooooo much better but how do they really know? Have they done a blind taste test using another breadmaker? It could just be your brain believing the hype - if you believe something is going to taste better then it will. So yes, I can't justify the expense of a new breadmaker when there's nothing wrong with the old one.
  • margaret_3
    margaret_3 Posts: 1,123 Forumite
    Options
    Oh Ticklemouse, I'm so pleased to read your post. On another thread I said that I had got a Russell Hobbs ultimate but I was a bit apprehensive about starting to use it.
    What is your best white bread recipe? I might start using the breadmaker now.
  • kscour
    kscour Posts: 665 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Ohhhhh Stop please! :eek: My little Morphy Richards has been good to me. It makes nice pizza dough (sticky but nice) and the loaves are ok but a bit dense and now you tell me that I could do better with a different model, even worse the Breadman Ultimate Professional Breadmaker is reduced to £66.95 (that is the Russell Hobbs one mentioned above isn't it?) argghhh! left side of brain screaming buy it, buy it, forget the little Morphy R go big, go dispenser, go jam. :T Right side screaming no! no! remember your budget, be good, don't ditch your little buddy, who needs jam etc. etc. :A

What do I do :confused: Help me please! :D
  • leonie_2
    leonie_2 Posts: 517 Forumite
    Options
    kscour wrote:
    Ohhhhh Stop please! :eek: My little Morphy Richards has been good to me. It makes nice pizza dough (sticky but nice) and the loaves are ok but a bit dense and now you tell me that I could do better with a different model, even worse the Breadman Ultimate Professional Breadmaker is reduced to £66.95 (that is the Russell Hobbs one mentioned above isn't it?) argghhh! left side of brain screaming buy it, buy it, forget the little Morphy R go big, go dispenser, go jam. :T Right side screaming no! no! remember your budget, be good, don't ditch your little buddy, who needs jam etc. etc. :A

What do I do :confused: Help me please! :D

Well if you lot get new ones, im getting the new panasonic and dumping the kenwood..........

I wont be left out :D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport