Forum Home» Energy

Average Electricity Costs Poll - Page 37

New Post Advanced Search

Average Electricity Costs Poll

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Energy
417 replies 327.6K views

Replies

• It seems the above £30 is becoming a reality for most no matter the time of year
  • edited 29 December 2012 at 6:31PM
    pinkladyvenuspinkladyvenus Forumite
    336 posts
    Eighth Anniversary 100 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    edited 29 December 2012 at 6:31PM
    We live in a two bed flat, all electric with storage heaters. No TV or tumble drier and do not use the oven that much. On prepayment meter with economy 7 , no standing charge. We use about £30 a week. Can not say what we use in summer yet.
    Sealed pot challenge member 437
  • cinereuscinereus Forumite
    2.7K posts
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Can someone make a new poll for 2013 with realistic prices and clarification on price per adult or something similar?
  • Hi there, I just received a bill from nPower for electricity for £550 for the period 1st September to the end of December. The thing is it was only me living here until mid October and then my girlfriend moved in. It's been quite mild and so we haven't had the storage heaters on above their lowest settings and we are on economy 7. Although we have a washing machine and tumble dryer I don't think we use these more than average. £550 seems way too much? We had a similar flat with just electricity when I shared a place with 4 people last year and the bills were coming in at about £350 for a 3 month period, even less for four months than what just two of us are being charged. The problem is we have a meter and the meter readings on the bill line up with the numbers I have....could it be I have a faulty device stealing electricity somewhere or that my meter is broken? Or have prices really risen this much?!
    Thanks for any advice you have!
  • I am using approx 250 units per months. It is sufficient for me.
  • i had a pre payment gas meter installed today at 10am with £10 credit added. it's now 10.30pm and the balance is £4.32

this will cripple me if it continues

bad times
    good jobsites

vacancyhub.co.uk
    mychesterjobs.com
    indeed.com
  • mkgirl1981mkgirl1981 Forumite
    469 posts
    Tenth Anniversary Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    I'm quite shocked at how much people pay.
    I live in a ground floor 1 bed flat, I'm the only one who lives here.
    It's all electric & I have 1 storage heater in the living room & 1 in bedroom. Bathroom has a wall mounted fan heater.

I work quite long hours so when I'm at work I'm out for about 12/13 hours.
    On my days off I usually spend one day at home relaxing & doing some housework & one day going out.
    I usually leave the heater on in the living room quite low & don't use the one in bedroom as I have an electric blanket so put that on for a few mins if I'm cold.

I pay £9 per month dd and I still build up a bit of credit.
    Am I just incredibly lucky? Or is anyone else similar to me paying roughly the same?
  • WywthWywth Forumite
    5.1K posts
    mkgirl1981 wrote: »
    I'm quite shocked at how much people pay.
    I live in a ground floor 1 bed flat, I'm the only one who lives here.
    It's all electric & I have 1 storage heater in the living room & 1 in bedroom. Bathroom has a wall mounted fan heater.

I work quite long hours so when I'm at work I'm out for about 12/13 hours.
    On my days off I usually spend one day at home relaxing & doing some housework & one day going out.
    I usually leave the heater on in the living room quite low & don't use the one in bedroom as I have an electric blanket so put that on for a few mins if I'm cold.

I pay £9 per month dd and I still build up a bit of credit.
    Am I just incredibly lucky? Or is anyone else similar to me paying roughly the same?

I think you are not lucky, just frugal.

£9.00 per month is about 30p per day. You'll be lucky to get 1kWh at peak and perhaps 2kWh at off peak for that amount.

Certainly not enough to power a night storage heater. Barely enough to heat a tank full of water I would say.

Hopefully you have been ensuring your supplier is getting accurate meter readings to bill you against.
  • mkgirl1981mkgirl1981 Forumite
    469 posts
    Tenth Anniversary Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    I was on an estimated bill paid by dd at first & I was paying £54 pm but I built up so much credit I had a refund for £350 & they adjusted to £19 pm and again to £9
  • SkullsSkulls Forumite
    364 posts
    I live in a 200 year old 2 bedroomed terraced cottage (not quite but, the easiest way to explain it.) In an average month I spend maximum of £10 quite often as low as £8. No gas, all heating is from log burner in lounge.

I got rid of my fridge and freezer as soon as I realized how much electricity they used, I now let Tesco and Asda pay for keeping all my frozen food frozen. I pass both every day on the way to/from work/school run, so no extra cost for petrol. I have changed all my lighting to LED, my only sin is a 46" plasma TV, which when on, uses about 250 watts, I just don't like the picture on an LCD/LED TV's. I do have a little portable chiller box for the summer if I need it. Nearly forgot I use a halogen oven for most of my cooking.

Six nights a week I'm alone, one night a week my daughter stays.
This discussion has been closed.

Quick links

Essential Money | Who & Where are you? | Work & Benefits | Household and travel | Shopping & Freebies | About MSE | The MoneySavers Arms | Covid-19 & Coronavirus Support