Average Electricity Costs Poll - Page 40

New Post Advanced Search

Average Electricity Costs Poll

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Energy
417 replies 327.6K views

Replies

• WywthWywth Forumite
    5.1K posts
    My prepaid electricity provider gives me cheapest electricity in Ireland. Actually the first 0 to 50 units consumed are charged at the rate of Ksh 2.00 per unit and Additional units from 51 to 1,500 units are charged at the rate of Ksh 8.10 per unit which is pretty less as compared to conventional supply.So you can not say all of them are expensive.

:huh:

ksh? Kenyan Shillings? (a Kenyan shilling is about 1p)

There is not as much competition in energy supply in Northern Ireland compared to Mainland Britain, but I'd be interested in which of the 4 available suppliers charge as little as you suggest. :cool:
  • edited 4 June 2013 at 11:13AM
    WywthWywth Forumite
    5.1K posts
    edited 4 June 2013 at 11:13AM
    Average family spent 30 percent of his income on electricity bill payment. ...

It is customary on forums to provide a source when quoting such (dubious?) statistics. ;)

Ofgem quote the average dual fuel home uses 3300kWh of electricity and 16,500kWh gas per year
    That gives a typical annual cost to a user on an average standard tariff paying quarterly of just over £1400 a year.
    http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/utilities/you-switch-gas-electricity

Even if that were to increase to say £2000 per year (my wild guess) for an all electric home, that would mean by your statistic the average family were living on less than £6700 per year - thats less than the NMW for a full time worker :cool:
  • edited 4 June 2013 at 3:56PM
    ChrysalisChrysalis Forumite
    2.5K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 4 June 2013 at 3:56PM
    I have my electric supplier coming out again.

Basically I ran a test.

Left my pc on and everything else off for 24 hours.

the watts meter I have recorded a constant usage with pc idle of about 140 watts and total 3.1 units use.

My electric meter recorded 8 units use.

Atlantic keep insisting I am using that much electric.

I did another test 2 months ago.

When I went to my parents for the weekend, my entire flat was powered down, at the dip switches so lights, sockets etc didnt work.

When I came back the meter recorded 4 units used.

instead of average costs poll I would like to have seen a average units used poll, alongside how many people live in the property so we get to see a unit to person comparison.

To give you an diea how whacked things are, I currently spend more than £30 a month on electric and I live on my own. the only things always on are my pc, network equipment and fridge. I rarely if ever use tv (watch tv on pc), cooker is occasionally used once/twice day, kettle used 3-4 times a day (and isnt filled), xbox360 or ps3 used once or twice a week maybe for 4 hours or so at a time, when used it uses my pc monitor so not a 2nd display device.

Yet my units average 12-13 a day and a bill of over £130 a quarter.

an alectrician I know says he frequently sees higher consumption in flats and thinks either wiring is very dodgy in flats or a lot of tapping is going on, but in his opinion it gets ignored as it makes the power companies more profit.
  • WywthWywth Forumite
    5.1K posts
    Chrysalis wrote: »
    I have my electric supplier coming out again.

Basically I ran a test.

Left my pc on and everything else off for 24 hours.

the watts meter I have recorded a constant usage with pc idle of about 140 watts and total 3.1 units use.

My electric meter recorded 8 units use.

Atlantic keep insisting I am using that much electric.

I did another test 2 months ago.

When I went to my parents for the weekend, my entire flat was powered down, at the dip switches so lights, sockets etc didnt work.

When I came back the meter recorded 4 units used.

instead of average costs poll I would like to have seen a average units used poll, alongside how many people live in the property so we get to see a unit to person comparison.

To give you an diea how whacked things are, I currently spend more than £30 a month on electric and I live on my own. the only things always on are my pc, network equipment and fridge. I rarely if ever use tv (watch tv on pc), cooker is occasionally used once/twice day, kettle used 3-4 times a day (and isnt filled), xbox360 or ps3 used once or twice a week maybe for 4 hours or so at a time, when used it uses my pc monitor so not a 2nd display device.

Yet my units average 12-13 a day and a bill of over £130 a quarter.

an alectrician I know says he frequently sees higher consumption in flats and thinks either wiring is very dodgy in flats or a lot of tapping is going on, but in his opinion it gets ignored as it makes the power companies more profit.

Don't forget to restock your freezer ... and thow out any defrosted items you will not use immediately. ;)
  • ChrysalisChrysalis Forumite
    2.5K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Wywth wrote: »
    Don't forget to restock your freezer ... and thow out any defrosted items you will not use immediately. ;)

yes that was annoying, but when I went to mny parents I moved the food t my sister's freezer.

See this site.

http://www.highelectricbill.com/Multi-meter.htm

Seems a few things can go wrong in flats.

Where I live was originally a house converted to 3 flats, it has no communal area.

A couple of years back my landlord had a security light fitted thats the first problem, there is no landlord meter, so someone is paying for that security light.

Second problem is the weird results of my tests.

Third problem is my usage I am been billed for seems just completely unrealistic.

the £38 I am paying a month is also £400 under. today I sent my meter reading in which was 4000 units higher than the estimate and had to pay off £400 to avoid a massive increase in direct debit. But they agreed to hold that £400 to potentially refund it as my meter is going to be investigated, however they are only going to check the meter, not the wiring, and if no fault found I have to pay for the check.

Also when I cut of my power I only used the dipswitches in my kitchen, not the main big switch above my meter in the shared meter cupboard. (as I am not sure that safe to touch it hasa big label warning to not touch it unless qualified)..
  • Dorset82Dorset82 Forumite
    38 posts
    Too much : ( and then we here the companies are making £100's of millions in profit each year. Something isn't right.
  • edited 6 June 2013 at 3:12PM
    WywthWywth Forumite
    5.1K posts
    edited 6 June 2013 at 3:12PM
    valeriej43 wrote: »
    Had a phone call fro Eon saying my dual fuel has to go up to £135 a month, more than a weeks pension, i know my electricity was quite high last year, but cut down drastically, i was paying Eon when i joined @ £86b a month,which i was told would cover it by the EON rep, he looked at my bill from previous supplier and came to the conclusion £86 would be enough, then got a shock as my bills were not being covered, i am furious that i was misled,
    I was only a couple of payments behind when i got my last bill, so i dont see how i need to pay £135 now
    I am now looking for a cheaper deal,or i will not use my heating

But you knew about this about 2 weeks earlier
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?p=61145645&highlight=#post61145645
    There you say the increase is due to your existing tariff coming to an end. :cool:

# How, how, howzat?
    # You messed about, I caught you out, howzat?
    # Now that I've found where you're at, it's good-bye
    # Well, howzat? It's good-bye
    # Oh yeah, oh oh yeah
  • We need a new poll, what was the cost per kw back in 2005? 4p?
  • pineapplepineapple Forumite
    6.8K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    We need a new poll, what was the cost per kw back in 2005? 4p?
    I've had to do detective work to find the unit cost of my electricity. It's not stated in the online bill. And just recently I was informed my deal was coming to an end. I looked up the recommended alternative and no unit cost. Just comparison figures. Typical of so many suppliers. Yes I know there are variables but I would still like the unit cost up there big and bold. Are you listening Scottish Power and others? I'm not interested in average costs for high, medium and low usage. I'm not interested in comparative annual estimates. Give me the unit cost why don't you! :mad:
  • DragonQ wrote: »
    At least my only use for gas during the first 6-8 months will be hot water (via a new Band A condensing boiler), so that will hopefully drop below £5pm. :p
    :D

Assuming that brand new condensing boiler is trouble free... ;)

We have an old, inefficient back boiler that the service check guys always try to get us to change. It may be inefficient but it's built like a tank and still going strong after 20 years :D

What's the average life expectancy for modern domestic boilers...?
This discussion has been closed.

Quick links

Essential Money | Who & Where are you? | Work & Benefits | Household and travel | Shopping & Freebies | About MSE | The MoneySavers Arms | Covid-19 & Coronavirus Support