PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Freezing - Tips and Quick Questions thread

Options

Comments

• Pink.
    Pink. Posts: 17,675 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hi Alison,

Yes it's fine to freeze providing it hasn't been previously frozen. I'll add your thread to the quick questions on freezing thread as your question may help others.

Pink
  • Urban_chameleon
    Options
    Hi Pink-winged,

thanks for this and thanks for puttingthe post in this thread. I've learnt loads going through it. I'm just so excited with my new freezer - cutting bills by loads (still hasn't paid for itself yet, but I'm sure it will)

Aliosn
    December Grocery challenge 300 euros for me and half a person (OH only here at the weekend)
    so far 20/300. And a little extra (not calculated yet) for some nice things at Christmas.
  • MrsPorridge
    MrsPorridge Posts: 2,908 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I've decided to try and make a pumpkin pie. I have ended up with enough mixture to make two.:j

they are now cooking in the oven. Is it possible to freeze the pie? The filling is made up of brown sugar, evaporated milk, eggs and pumpkin.

Thanks in advance.:rolleyes:
    Debt free and Keeping on Track
  • catkins
    catkins Posts: 5,703 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I bought some lemon sole in breadcrumbs which were reduced in Sainsburys. I put them in the freezer without looking and I have just pulled them out and they say "not suitable for freezing"! I was planning on eating them tonight so I am now stuck. Why do you think they say this and if I eat them are they likely to make me ill? I wondered if the fish had already been frozen so not suitable to refreeze but shouldn't it say that? They were in the chiller section.

Thanks
    The world is over 4 billion years old and yet you somehow managed to exist at the same time as David Bowie
  • newlywed
    newlywed Posts: 8,255 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    It usually means they have already been frozen before being sold.

Sometimes when the fish is caught, it is frozen on the boats to make sure it stays fresh.

Sorry can't help with "safety" aspects of eating it.
    working on clearing the clutterDo I want the stuff or the space?
  • horsechestnut
    Options
    If it says "not suitable for freezing" it implies that the quality will be lessened/spoilt by freezing. But it won't harm you.
    However if it says "do not refreeze" then it may have been made from previously frozen fish/product. Do not eat if it states previously frozen.
  • catkins
    catkins Posts: 5,703 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Thanks for your quick replies. OH said that he thought it must have already been frozen but I said if so it should say "do not refreeze". I think I will chance it!!!
    The world is over 4 billion years old and yet you somehow managed to exist at the same time as David Bowie
  • McKneff
    McKneff Posts: 38,831 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    i would, i dont think its likely to do any harm,
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
  • Penelope_Penguin
    Options
    I'll add this to the Freezing Quick Questions thread ;)

Penny. x
    :rudolf: Sheep, pigs, hens and bees on our Teesdale smallholding :rudolf:
  • LilacLillie
    LilacLillie Posts: 2,930 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Can I freeze Quark? If not how can I use 2 full tubs of it ?
    I am on Slimming World diet and bought them to take to my class last night, but forgot them.
    I usually use it for dips or spread and don't want to waste it.
    LL
    We are all in the gutter but some of us are looking at the stars........................

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure