PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Freezing - Tips and Quick Questions thread

Options

Comments

• greenbee
    greenbee Posts: 16,177 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    If the power is now back on you're safe to open them quickly and have a look. If they are full, its quite likely that most things will have stayed frozen, as they should be well insulated. But its best to check before they are cold enough to refreeze anything that defrosted and leave you none the wiser.
  • Pink.
    Pink. Posts: 17,675 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hi hotcookie,

The contents will be fine if you haven't opened the freezers. Food (in an unopened freezer) will stay frozen for 24 hours. I've done the same as you, after a power cut and put on the fast freeze to give it a boost and the food stayed frozen.

I'll add this to the Quick Questions on freezing thread as your query may help others.

Pink

Edit: These earlier threads may help to reassure you:

Loss of power for 26 hours - is my freezer food safe?

Freezer off for 11 hours
  • jimjams_mommy
    Options
    freezing mushrooms and peppers. Do i slice them and par-cook them ot just chop up and freeze?
  • jimjams_mommy
    Options
    freezing mushrooms and peppers. Do i slice them and par-cook them or just chop up and freeze?

I have seen them reduced at the my local shop and haven't brought them as I wanted to make sure I would use them up.

I have found this thread great for advice and have been using my freezer more.
  • trying-very-trying
    Options
    I just slice, or with the peppers chop, and freeze for short term storage i.e a couple months or so. Mushrooms aren't great for freezing, they'll go soggy when defrosted, but they're fine for making soup or putting into bolognaise/stew type recipes.
    Official DFW Nerd Club - Member # 593 - Proud To Be Dealing With My Debts!

• Pink.
    Pink. Posts: 17,675 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    freezing mushrooms and peppers. Do i slice them and par-cook them or just chop up and freeze?

I have seen them reduced at the my local shop and haven't brought them as I wanted to make sure I would use them up.

I have found this thread great for advice and have been using my freezer more.

Hi jimjams,

Yes you can freeze both mushrooms and peppers. There are lots of tips on these earlier threads:

Freezing mushrooms

Can I Freeze Peppers???

Pink
  • jimjams_mommy
    Options
    thanks for advice and links pink and trying. I have stocked up freeze so with veg for spag-bol and stews. Got two big bags of carrots at mr t tonight going to par boil them for 5 min then freeze. greet thread didn't learn cooking at school!
  • Primrose
    Primrose Posts: 10,623 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I've grown loads of peppers this year and have frozen most of them. I just slice them up uncooked, freeze-dry them loose on a tray in the freezer for 30 minutes (this prevents them sticking together later if you only want to use a small handful for a certain recipe) and then bag them up for the freezer in one of those easy-seal freezer bags.
  • mum_of_4
    mum_of_4 Posts: 720 Forumite
    Options
    Primrose wrote: »
    I've grown loads of peppers this year and have frozen most of them. I just slice them up uncooked, freeze-dry them loose on a tray in the freezer for 30 minutes (this prevents them sticking together later if you only want to use a small handful for a certain recipe) and then bag them up for the freezer in one of those easy-seal freezer bags.

I do the same. Slice or chop thewm, up and freeze loose then bag up. last week used the frozen ones for the first time and they were fine.
    Kind Regards
    Maz

self sufficient - in veg and eggs from the allotment
  • Urban_chameleon
    Options
    Hi everybody,

apologies if this question has been asked and answered somewhere else - I didn't find it.

is it okay to freeze a leg of chicken with the bone in it (that sounds like a stupid comment, of course legs have bones!!)?

thanks a lot

alison
    December Grocery challenge 300 euros for me and half a person (OH only here at the weekend)
    so far 20/300. And a little extra (not calculated yet) for some nice things at Christmas.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure