PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Freezing - Tips and Quick Questions thread

Options

Comments

• gemma1984
    Options
    Sorry if this should go in the christmas section, I wasn't sure really.

I've just bought 4 boxes of mr kipling deep filled mince pies which look yummy. They were 74p in Tesco for a box of 6 which worked out really well!

The date life is till 3/11/08 Im just wondering if I freeze them now will they be ok if I defrost say one box at a time at christmas??

I'm no good at this sort of thing!:confused:
  • bertiebots
    bertiebots Posts: 1,433 Forumite
    Options
    I would think they will be fine to freeze...mmmmm mince pies!
    JAN GC- £155.77 out of £200:D FEB GC £197.31 out of £180:o. MARCH GC - out of £200
  • gemma1984
    Options
    Thank you! It's the sort of question I'd love to ask my mum but can't!
  • Pink.
    Pink. Posts: 17,675 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hi gemma,

Mince pies freeze really well. If once they're defrosted the pastry looks a bit on the soggy side, put them into a hot oven for about five minutes and they'll come out tasting freshly baked.

I'll add this thread to the quick questions on freezing thread as your question will be helpful to others.

Pink
  • mum_of_4
    mum_of_4 Posts: 720 Forumite
    Options
    Walls sausages are on offer at Mr T for £1 so i want to stock up as i have some coupons. If i put them in the freezer how long can they be in there fo and should i wrap them in say cling film first.

Can i also do the same for mince as i wanted to buy some of their big packs which are also on offer.

Money is starting to get tight so whilst i have an extra £50 (from Mum) i wanted to stock up.
    Kind Regards
    Maz

self sufficient - in veg and eggs from the allotment
  • ravylesley
    ravylesley Posts: 1,105 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I know I'm probably a bad girl but I freeze sausages and mince for as long as it takes for me to use them.I never have been a big believer in this use by thingie for frozen food and nothing bad has ever happened to me.So I'd say buy them freeze them and use them at your leisure.As long as you cook them properly when they are defrosted there is no danger of food poisoning

Lesleyxx
  • trying-very-trying
    Options
    I just put the sausages in the freezer in their own packet. I think they're supposed to be eaten with about 3 months, but I've kept them much longer.
    The mince, I would portion into smaller amounts, and again just freeze as is. I think mince has a longer freezer life, but again I've used up mince found at the bottom of the freezer, possibly two years old.
    Official DFW Nerd Club - Member # 593 - Proud To Be Dealing With My Debts!

• Pink.
    Pink. Posts: 17,675 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I do the same as trying. Freeze sausages in their packets and portion up mince into pack sizes that we will use for one meal. I try to eat it within three months but often keep it for longer with no ill effects.

I'll add your query to the Quick Questions on freezing thread where you should get more opinions.

Pink
  • mum_of_4
    Options
    Many thanks,

ravylesley,trying-very-trying, Pink-winged

Thanks so, so much for the fast replies. can i just say i love the OS money saving forum. I have cut down by grocery spending to an unbeliable amount and the family are actually eating better (allways been healthy)in terms of amount and more homemade stuff. My OH has no idea. The only thing i can't change is the amount i spend on milk.

I'll buy 10 packs of 1kg mince and divide into 500g or maybe 400g as that would give me another 5 portions to make 25 in total. and then i can buy 20 packs of the sausages.

Going to make a cup of tea and read this whole thread on freezing
    Kind Regards
    Maz

• mum_of_4
    Options
    Tesco are selling some really nice Terracotta roasting dishes and bowls and a really nice cassorole dish that i was going to ask Mum to buy me for Christmas.

It didn't have a picture of a freezer on it does this mean i can't put into to the freezer or does it mean i can't heat straight from freezer?
    Kind Regards
    Maz

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills