PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Freezing - Tips and Quick Questions thread

Options

Comments

• hotcookie101
    Options
    Hi,
    my OH just went to butcher-asked if they had any rabbit for stew for dinner tonight-they gave him 2 but neglected to tell him they were frozen :mad:
    They are rock solid frozen, how is he best to defrost them before dinner (to start cooking in a couple hours?)
    They were vac packed but as he asked the butcher to joint them they are now cut into 3 sections each and not vac packed(not actually jointed properly either-oh why oh why can't I have a really good butcher :(). Does he risk they defrost at room temp in a couple of hours or is he safe putting them in warm water if they are not sealed in a bag :confused:
  • pigpen
    pigpen Posts: 41,050 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    microwave?

It'd be fine to defrost in warm water I would guess seeing as it is going to be cooked thoroughly.. bugs won't have time to multiply.

Actually.. I am bit of a nutter when it comes to food and so long as it isn't furry or legging it off my plate I eat it.. not killed anyone.. YET!
    LB moment 10/06 Debt Free date 6/6/14
    Hope to be debt free until the day I die
    Mortgage-free Wannabee (05/08/30)
    6/6/14 £72,454.65 (5.65% int.)
    08/12/2023 £33602.00 (4.81% int.)
  • hotcookie101
    Options
    I hate defrosting stuff in the microwave it always partly cooked and manky (I obviously do it wrong!!) should he put it in a plastic freezer bag before putting in warm water?
  • pigpen
    pigpen Posts: 41,050 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I wouldn't you don't know what bugs would be in the bag.

when defrosting in the MW I turn stuff over and round and shuffle it about every 2-3 minutes so different parts are done instead of the same bits all at once.
    LB moment 10/06 Debt Free date 6/6/14
    Hope to be debt free until the day I die
    Mortgage-free Wannabee (05/08/30)
    6/6/14 £72,454.65 (5.65% int.)
    08/12/2023 £33602.00 (4.81% int.)
  • mardatha
    mardatha Posts: 15,612 Forumite
    Options
    I got 2 bags of carrots at asda, can I freeze one ? if so, how ? can I just throw them in , in the bag ?
  • Primrose
    Primrose Posts: 10,623 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Freezing carrots - best way of freezing them is to cut into chunks, blanch in boiling water for 2 minutes, drain and put into cold water for 2 minutes. If you want to bag them up in individual portions, you can then do so, but unless they're completely dried they will all stick together. If you want to just be able to take a few chunks out at a time, dry them with a clean tea towel after taking out of the cold water and spread them out on a tray in the freezer for about 30 minutes until they're hard. Then bag them up and the chunks should stay separate.
  • missty25
    Options
    Can you freeze leeks? If so will they need to be cooked or just sliced up and put into freezer bags? Not sure how they would come out if not cooked.
    Thanks
    P.S. Sorry if there is already an answer to this but I couldn't see it.
    Lloyds loan £7045.16/£0.00 Lloyds CC £896.99/£649.25, barclaycard £2792.20/£4582.93, OD £1500, Next £210.43/£734.21, OD £300, Virgin CC £3135/£1108.53, Starting total,£15829.78, running total, £8874.92 paid off to date, £2303/6811.76/6654.86
    emergency fund=£4.24/£500[/OCLOR
  • Chris25
    Chris25 Posts: 12,918 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    leeks - i slice them, blanch in boiling water briefly, then drain until cold before freezing.
  • dawnteabag
    dawnteabag Posts: 1,019 Forumite
    Options
    I know peppers swede onions and peas freeze well because I freeze them myself. I dont know about the other vegetables but as you can buy frozen carrots I assume they would be ok too.

Do you do anything to prepare the peppers for freezing or just chop and freeze? I don't like the frozen peppers that you can buy as they seem to be very stringy and badly prepared.

Does anyone know where you can buy frozen courgettes and broad beans?
    I'm sure I last bought them from tesco but they seem to no longer stock them.
  • arkonite_babe
    Options
    MOVING THREADS FOR BETTER RESPONSES

Hi, Martin’s asked me to post this in these circumstances: I’ve asked Board Guides to move threads if they’ll receive a better response elsewhere (please see this rule) so this post/thread has been moved to another board, where it should get more replies. If you have any questions about this policy please email [EMAIL="abuse@moneysavingexpert.com"]abuse@moneysavingexpert.com[/EMAIL]
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure