PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Freezing - Tips and Quick Questions thread

Options

Comments

• trying-very-trying
    Options
    Big mistake... checking the shelf life after opening. I didn't even know there was a shelf life for dried milk, but we're not dead. Maybe we've built up a good tolerance from eating all the out of date stuff.
    Official DFW Nerd Club - Member # 593 - Proud To Be Dealing With My Debts!

• exlibris
    Options
    I haven't made any bread since May 2007 until this week. The bread was great so the old flour and milk had no effect!
  • noonesperfect
    Options
    Thanks folks.

That's put my mind at rest.It's just with it being milk. I know it sounds stupid but I wasnt sure if it might start to taste "off" IYKWIM.

I'm very much a sniff it and see girl normally. We've had some strawberry jam open for well over a year (kept in the fridge) and it still seems perfectly good.
    :wave:
  • gsysezz
    gsysezz Posts: 557 Forumite
    Options
    Re the Strawberry Jam - at catering college my lecturer told me to microwave the jam until it boiled. Might be a good tip if you have any doubt.
    Toxic & Tired - Starting 2010 afresh :beer:
  • Angelraesunshine
    Options
    goodness i have never thought to check the shelflife after opening lol well never did us any harm :)
    Still Trying :o
    Grocery challenge July 2016
    £400/£000
  • weiser
    weiser Posts: 84 Forumite
    Options
    ive got some rhubarb in the freezer and want to do a crumble with it should it be defrosted first or will it be ok just to put it in the oven thanks
  • hotcookie101
    Options
    I have a 2.5kg leg of lamb in the freezer than I am planning this with for wednesday night. How long will it take to defrost in the fridge at 4degrees? :confused:
  • ClaireLR
    ClaireLR Posts: 1,712 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    If I was cooking it Wednesday night I would take it out on Monday morning to defrost, but personally I always cook lamb from frozen anyway!
    Sometimes you have to go through
    the rain to get to the
    rainbow
  • sunflower76
    Options
    I always defrost first as it produces a lot of water otherwise and your crumble topping will go soggy. You can do it in the microwave if you need to defrost in a hurry.

MrS wants you to share the crumble as payment for the advice. :rotfl:
  • hotcookie101
    Options
    It was a fresh leg that I froze at home... I have never cooked any meat from frozen-how do you put your marinade/herbs/spices in it? Am intrigued :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure