PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Freezing - Tips and Quick Questions thread

Options

Comments

• misskool
    misskool Posts: 12,832 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Please help,I have over 2 kilos of potatoes going soft. Can I just peel them,chop them up and freeze them or do I have to parboil them?

Just got home so please please please tell me I can just chop them up
  • Pink.
    Pink. Posts: 17,675 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hi misskool,

They need to be cooked before freezing or they go really yukky! This thread may help: Freezing Potatoes

Pink
  • misskool
    misskool Posts: 12,832 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hi misskool,

They need to be cooked before freezing or they go really yukky! This thread may help: Freezing Potatoes

Pink

Thank you! off to the kitchen then!
  • ksh123
    ksh123 Posts: 1,248 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi
    On my twice yearly visit to Costco this w/e I bought 1.5kg roast ham - yummy!:D
    I want to freeze it into batches for sandwiches. Do you think I need to separate the slices before freezing e.g. with cling film or kitchen towel ?(haven't any greaseproof and don't want to go to shops as I will buy other things I don't need :o .
    Also when its defrosted how long do you think I can keep it in the fridge for?

thanks
    Stop looking for answers....
    The most you can hope for are clues.....:)
  • Pink.
    Pink. Posts: 17,675 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hi ksh,

I don't separate the slices but just freeze them (wrapped in foil) in amounts that we would use on a daily basis. I lift it out of the freezer the night before we need it and put it into the fridge. By morning it's defrosted and usually all gets used up that day in packed lunches.

If you want to keep it longer in the fridge it should be fine for a few days as long as the use by date wasn't about to expire when you froze it.

Pink
  • ksh123
    ksh123 Posts: 1,248 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks pink-winged - that's really helpful;)
    Stop looking for answers....
    The most you can hope for are clues.....:)
  • billieboy_2
    billieboy_2 Posts: 1,361 Forumite
    Options
    Hi misskool,

Pink
    I know this is a bit late:D but you only need to parboil them for 5-7 minutes, let them cool and freeze spread out on a tray then bag them when they are fully frozen. They make lovely roast potatoes.
  • Teria
    Teria Posts: 204 Forumite
    Options
    I like to make a load of sausage rolls / pasties at the weekends, as I try to only use the oven one day a week. These only last for 2 or 3 days at the most in the fridge, can puff pastry successfully be frozen (and still taste edible once it's been defrosted?)
    Also, I don't particularly like the taste of jacked potatoes cooked n the microwave. Does anyone know if they will keep the taste and texture of oven baked ones if I bake them in the oven, freeze them, and reheat them in the microwave? Or am I just being hopelessly optimistic?
    Many thanks
  • Penelope_Penguin
    Options
    Puff pastry can be frozen ;)

As for the potatoes - no-one seems to know, so give them a try :D Do come back and let us know the outcome ;)

I'll add this to the Freezing Quick Questions thread, to keep ideas together.

Penny. x
    :rudolf: Sheep, pigs, hens and bees on our Teesdale smallholding :rudolf:
  • hotcookie101
    hotcookie101 Posts: 2,060 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi, I had a power cut this morning. Power has been off for about 8 hours, and has just come back on. I have 2 freezers FULL of food. I haven't opened them since power went off.
    They are both less than 2 years old. One is an american style fridge freezer whose digital display once I switched it back on read 2 degrees. Now reading -1 after about 10 minutes. I have put both of them onto super freeze. Will my food have stayed frozen? :confused: I don't want to open it to see if its frozen still as will let all the cold out, but I can't bear the thought of all my lovely frozen meat and homecooked meals being destroyed :eek:
    Can anyone reassure me?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport