holiday s whilst on jobseekers allowance?

Options

Comments

• jonno1981
    Options
    Hi folks I'm in a bit of a pickle. I'm claiming contributions jsa and my sign on date is a Monday and I am due to sign on this Monday. An opportunity has suddenly come up for me and my partner to have a short break at a family house in the UK but we have to leave tomorrow. I will be unable to notify the job centre that I will be unable to sign on until after I travel. I will be seeking work using a pc when I am away and will be able to travel back if necessary. If I contact them as soon as possible will I have any problems? I don't want to risk looking my jsa over this. Thanks!
  • pelladine_2
    Options
    I work bl**dy hard and can not afford a holiday this year due to hours cutting back, increased council tax and utilities prices.

IT MAKES ME FURIOUS TO SEE HOW MUCH SOME OF YOU SPONGERS GET AND MOAN THAT YOU ARE NOT GETTING PAID WHILST ON A JOLLY

:mad:

JSA = job seekers allowance not costa del sol spending money

I just wish i didn't have to pay council tax, had my rent paid for and basically lived the life of luxury whilst entering competitions on line all day! (check the posts of the people who are receiving every benefit under the sun, all they do is comp!)

Right rant over.

Back to work - those on this forum look it up in the dictionary :rotfl:

:mad: Well Credit Crunched you should count yourself 'bl**dy' lucky that you have a job. There are many people out there who are desperate to work. I have worked all my life but now find myself in the humiliating position of having to sign on having been made redundant and I can assure you that I do not spend my days watching TV or entering competitions. When I am not looking for jobs on the internet or making calls to agencies I am worrying myself sick about losing my home.:( I am luckier than some, my family are very supportive and have offered to pay for me to go on holiday, as they have paid for fuel for my car and bought me food shopping (also very humiliating to have to accept money from those you love). I receive just under £65 pounds per week. Could you live on that??? Whilst on holiday I shall continue to check the internet for jobs twice a day and will send my CV off should anything suitable arise. I don't consider that to be sponging. I hope you never have to experience being unemployed although it may do you good to see how it feels from 'the other side of the fence.' Last week I had to sit and watch a perfectly respectable forty plus year old man sobbing his heart out in the Job Centre - not my idea of fun. :cry: There that's my rant over.
  • happy_lass
    happy_lass Posts: 464 Forumite
    Options
    I work bl**dy hard and can not afford a holiday this year due to hours cutting back, increased council tax and utilities prices.

IT MAKES ME FURIOUS TO SEE HOW MUCH SOME OF YOU SPONGERS GET AND MOAN THAT YOU ARE NOT GETTING PAID WHILST ON A JOLLY

I just wish i didn't have to pay council tax, had my rent paid for and basically lived the life of luxury whilst entering competitions on line all day! (check the posts of the people who are receiving every benefit under the sun, all they do is comp!)

Right rant over.

hey thats a bit harsh. Not everyone who claims benefits is sponging. Yes , i dont dispute the fact that some of them do, but some people have fallen on hard times through no fault of their own. Dont tar everyone with the same brush.That seems really mean to tar everyone the same.
    life is what you make it, make it fun !
  • paulmcd201
    Options
    The Jobseekers Allowance Regulations 1996 disagree:

Circumstances in which a person is to be treated as actively seeking employment
    19.—(1) A person shall be treated as actively seeking employment in the following circumstances, subject to paragraph (2) and to any maximum period specified in this paragraph

(p) in any week in respect of which he has given notice to an employment officer, in writing if so required by the employment officer, that—
    (i) he does not intend to be actively seeking employment, but
    (ii) he does intend to reside at a place other than his usual place of residence for at least one day;

That is the specific clause which allows holiday, and DOES NOT specify that the holiday may not be abroad. Clearly residing abroad meets the definitions of residing "at a place other than his usual place of residence "

Yes, it will be a fight, but yes, I am aware of cases where people have had holidays abroad, been consdiered to be actively seeking for the purpose of section 19(p), and retained right to benefit.

The Jobcentre will do anything to get you to sign off, including Lying to you. I know, I used to do so for a living.

could you point me in the right direction with regards to this, links to where this is written o i can take it to the job centre myself please

im not going on holiday but need 2 weeks off to do a course that will get me into uni, im still making myself free for work and interviews i will just swap my lunch break around any interview i have
  • skintandscared_2
    Options
    paulmcd201 wrote: »
    could you point me in the right direction with regards to this, links to where this is written o i can take it to the job centre myself please

im not going on holiday but need 2 weeks off to do a course that will get me into uni, im still making myself free for work and interviews i will just swap my lunch break around any interview i have

I would google "The Jobseekers Allowance Regulations 1996" and see what you get. Although please bear in mind the post you quoted is now over 6 years old!
    DMP Mutual Support Thread member 244
    Quit smoking 13/05/2013
    Joined Slimming World 02/12/13. Loss so far = 60lb in 28 weeks :j 18lb to go :o
  • mrsbowie
    mrsbowie Posts: 163 Forumite
    Options
    Hi, any advice please? My mum myself and ds2 were supposed to be going on hol in the uk for 5 days next week, unfortunatley mum is in hospital and won't be fit to go, she insists that we still go and that my other son takes her place, the only trouble is since graduating this year and unable toget work (he has tried) he's claiming JSA, he would be due to sign on in the middle of the 5 day holiday. What I'd like to know please is he allowed to take a holiday and how would it effect his JSA?
    At a push as we aren't going too far, he could always come back on the train and sign on and then come back to holiday, but if he is legally entitled to a hol then it should be ok? thanks
  • dookar
    dookar Posts: 1,654 Forumite
    Options
    He needs to fill out the form and remain available
  • dickmysuck
    Options
    jonno1981 wrote: »
    Hi folks I'm in a bit of a pickle. I'm claiming contributions jsa and my sign on date is a Monday and I am due to sign on this Monday. An opportunity has suddenly come up for me and my partner to have a short break at a family house in the UK but we have to leave tomorrow. I will be unable to notify the job centre that I will be unable to sign on until after I travel. I will be seeking work using a pc when I am away and will be able to travel back if necessary. If I contact them as soon as possible will I have any problems? I don't want to risk looking my jsa over this. Thanks!

Fill out the holiday form and you will be fine.
  • debs71_2
    debs71_2 Posts: 4 Newbie
    edited 22 August 2011 at 4:18PM
    Options

Right rant over.

Frankly your ignorance is staggering.:mad:

I have worked since I was 18 years old bar 3 years out at Uni when I studied for my nursing diploma. I have worked as a nurse for 11 years until I had to resign on health grounds after passing out whilst on shift after a panic attack/anxiety. This was the straw that broke the camel's back for me after years of stress and work pressure that I just put up with.

Since Dec 09 I have been doing everything humanly possible to find a job where I can use my skills, but something that is not within the field of nursing, and I cannot get a look in anywhere. I have applied for numerous jobs and have not even got to an interview. I did not claim A PENNY for 14 months when I was not working. I lived off my bank account as I did not want to claim as I find it demoralising and demeaning.

I turned 40 in July and my parents gift to me was an 18 day holiday to visit my friend in Spain. Without their generosity I would not be able to afford a 'JOLLY' as you call it. Nor would I use my JSA to pay for it, you complete idiot. ALL of my JSA goes on paying my one bill and giving my family money for my keep and food.

As another poster said, you are tarring everyone claiming with the same PATHETIC brush. I have worked for whatever I claim and I am DAMNED SURE I AM ENTITLED TO IT.

I have now just been told that I have to stop my claim as I am going abroad. I understand this, however in the same breath I was told I can immediately reclaim when I get back which to me is ridiculous.

Why can they not just stop my benefits for the time I cannot job seek? To go through the whole rigmarole again is a waste of tax payers money in my mind in terms of admin and red tape.

You need to keep your rant to yourself Credit-Crunched and think more carefully about who exactly claimants are, which is not always lazy, sponging, holiday - going chavs who have no intention of finding work as you clearly think.:mad:

IGNORANCE - TRY LOOKING THAT UP IN THE DICTIONARY.
  • Anubis_2
    Anubis_2 Posts: 4,077 Forumite
    edited 23 August 2011 at 2:57AM
    Options

I just wish i didn't have to pay council tax, had my rent paid for and basically
    lived the life of luxury whilst entering competitions on line all day! (check the posts of the people who are receiving every benefit under the sun, all they do is comp!)

Right rant over.

So, you wish for paid council tax, rent paid and a life of luxury on £67 per week ( if you are over 25) so you can spend your days doing comps?

Your wish can come true, there is an easy solution if that is what you really want....

What? Can't afford to give up work? Really? I thought it was a " life of luxury" on benefits?

Fact is, you know you do NOT wish to be unemployed, because you know it is
    not the life of luxury you make it out to be....

One day, you may find yourself out of work, then you can come back and tell us about your life of luxury.
    How people treat you becomes their karma; how you react becomes yours.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure