PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

The Knitters Thread

Options

Comments

• hiddenshadow
    Options
    maryb wrote: »
    But oh my! it does make the knitting heavy when you've got the weight of the whole garment on the needles. Would it help to switch to circulars used back and forth just to distribute the weight a bit better?

I love circular needles because of this - the sweater will still have its weight on your lap, but once you're a few inches down the sleeves you won't have much weight on the needles at all. (Plus you can get fancy and do two at a time sleeves with magic loop if you prefer.)
  • maryb
    maryb Posts: 4,661 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Thank you I will try this!
    It doesn't matter if you are a glass half full or half empty sort of person. Keep it topped up! Cheers!
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    I have never tried a 3 needle bind off. Another thing to learn, its so enjoyable, learning all these new ways, good for the brain and dexterity

I have been finishing off loads of spun yarn, plied, washed and dried so will be starting another iced cardigan

http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/iced

This will be my fourth, both my adult daughters want one and I have made two for myself. I do have to alter the number of rows but it was simple maths and I am using home spun this time, like the other three. It seems to lend itself to a homespun look and is a very useful layer to wear

Over the holidays I want to make myself a device to hang my fixed circulars. I have tried squashing then in bags but I want to try and keep the cords straight. I think bit of sewing, a long enough strip with channels and numbers, that should be able to hold no end of these needles, dangling from the sides and just the cords inside. I haven`t bought any more since getting my interchangeables but I rather like them too. It will be side to side knitting and I think I will have to use two but I will put elastic bands on the loose ends to stop the stitches sliding off. I used two when making my husband aran jumpers, the length does not matter as long as all the stitches fit on
  • mardatha
    mardatha Posts: 15,612 Forumite
    Options
    Magicdance I did a huge - wide and long - scarf for my hubby, and got this wool for it:
    http://www.purplesheepyarns.co.uk/alaska.html
  • grandmasam
    Options
    Hi everyone..
    Lurker here looking for some help or advice please. I've downloaded the hitchhiker scarf and want to know if I can make it in dk or does it have to be sock yarn? only finished the socks and fancy using some of my dk stash.
    This will be lovely for my dgd's and my 95 yr old aunt...me as well.
    Thanks
    Caz
    Saving for another hound :j
    :staradmin from Sue-UU
    SPC no 031 SPC 9 £1211, SPC 8 £1027 SPC 7 £937.24, SPC 6 £973.4 SPC 5 £1949, SPC 4 £904.67 SPC 4 £980.27
  • mardatha
    mardatha Posts: 15,612 Forumite
    Options
    Yes, you can make it in DK and it will still be a hitchhiker, only a bigger one.
  • grandmasam
    Options
    Many thanks Mardatha I'll start tonight, once i've sorted through the stash lol
    Caz
    Saving for another hound :j
    :staradmin from Sue-UU
    SPC no 031 SPC 9 £1211, SPC 8 £1027 SPC 7 £937.24, SPC 6 £973.4 SPC 5 £1949, SPC 4 £904.67 SPC 4 £980.27
  • plumduff55
    Options
    Hi everyone, that's me finished knitting all my Xmas knitted presents. I've just got to reknit the top of dgd's mitts and then I'll be looking for my next project.

I never got around to ordering the wool for the hitchhiker scarf and have decided to wait and buy it from a shop at some point.

How is everyone else getting on with their Xmas projects?

Happy knitting xx
    Debt free - Mortgage free - Work free ( in that order :) )
  • suki1964
    suki1964 Posts: 14,313 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I don't know if anyone here saw the appeal, but the Royal Victoria in Belfast are looking baby hats.
  • plumduff55
    Options
    Merry Christmas to our little band of knitters. Hope everyone got their projects finished in time. I'm having a busy day with family visiting but by 7pm I'll be sitting knitting and nibbling leftovers. The perfect Christmas Day for me 🎄⛄️🍰🍷🎉🍧🎄⛄️

Happy knitting everyone xx
    Debt free - Mortgage free - Work free ( in that order :) )
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback